The Haunted Memory | Teen Ink

The Haunted Memory

By HanaA. SILVER, Peoria, Illinois
HanaA. SILVER, Peoria, Illinois

The floorboards creak under my shifting weight. I reach the staircase and take no further steps. The silence of this old abandoned house is relaxing, and to me this place is beautiful. To a normal person this house would appear creepy and sinister. It's funny how someone would think such a place is haunted. From the empty feeling and dust build up, it doesn't surprise me. I come here every night and do not find anything odd or out of place. The house is huge and I imagine it was once the best looking in this town. Now, people still think its magnificent, just not in the same way. I don't know why I am so fond of this place, but every night I come here, in order to go to one room. I head up the stairs, and go down the second floors hall. I pause at the last door on the left, and place my hand on the cold nob. I twist it and the door opens with a creak. This whole house seems to make noise in some way. I enter the room that is painted dark blue, and lit only by moonlight. I look out at the midnight sky specked in a billion stars.

Him: "Hello." a voice deep but gentle interrupts.

I turn fast caught by surprise, and see a dark figure in the far corner.

Me: "H-Hello?" my voice just breaking a whisper finally comes from my throat. Not showing his face I become irritated.

Me: "Can you at least step into the light?" with that said he hesitantly emerged into the center of the room.

A teenage boy with light blue eyes, dirty blond hair, distinct facial features, he was drop dead gorgeous.

Me: " I am Zemmy. Who are you?" I say after an awkward silence.

Him: "Yeah, I know who you are. I am Justin." he said with a crooked grin.

How does he know me? I don't think he is from this small town. His teeth so white and straight shined in the lighting. I suddenly got nervous and started to think what he might see in me. There was something strange about him though. His look and the way he carried himself, maybe?

Me: "I'm sorry, but I don't think I know you."

Him: "Or maybe you just don't remember me, it's fine don't worry about it.
Why did you decide to come here?" he said through a fading smile.

He seemed upset, and sucked at trying to mask it. Was it because i didn't know, or remember him? In order to forget him, wouldn't I have to Know him first?

Me: "Oh. Ohkay then. I'm not sure, I come here often but I don't really
know why.
I guess I just like the quiet."

Justin looked down upon the floor, and I had the urge to hug him. Without thinking i moved in closer closing the space between us. He took a fast step backward, and I felt embarrassed.

Me: "So...Why are you here?"

Him: "I live here."

This was rediculous. Why had I not seen him before then?

Me: "But...This place is abandoned."

Justin gave me no response, and this infuriated me.

Me: "Tell me why you live here alone."

Him: "It's a long story." he said flatly, and in a way that made me feel sorry for him.

Me: "Well...I got plenty of time." I told him persuasively and this was followed by silence. Finally with a sigh he gave in.

Him: " A few years ago there once lived a boy. He was in love with the perfect girl. At the time she was 15 and he was 16. Late one December night the roads were slick from ice, he was driving her home. He lost control of his car and it rolled in a nearby ditch. The impact killed him, and for the love of his life was badly injured and cannot remember anything. He watches over her day and night hoping that one day she would remember him. With no such luck he waited until he could tell her this story."

Tears of recognition filled my eyes.

HanaA. SILVER said...
HanaA. SILVER, Peoria, Illinois
Please feel free to comment on my story and tell me what you liked or disliked. Thanks and enjoy!