Watching This work is considered exceptional by our editorial staff.

She was pretty, I'd give her that, but she wasn't beautiful. But then again, he wasn't so handsome either. I suppose she was smart, I don't think he'd be friends with her if she wasn't. I always saw them together, occasionally with her friends, but more often than not they were alone, laughing, always laughing. They always had adjoining earphones in their ears, sharing an iPod and scrolling through it. I knew he had great taste in music, we'd talked about it for a while when we'd been on line for breakfast together. That was the only meal they did not share. She always showed up early with her friends. They didn't like him so that was the meal she devoted to her friends alone. They were usually done with their meal and in the hall playing cards by the time he showed up. Always late and looking like he hadn't slept.

She was exactly his height. I was taller. I saw them standing on their tiptoes arguing about who was taller, but they were even, they eventually let it go, laughing the whole way. They even dressed alike. Wearing t-shirts of bands no one had ever heard of and cargo shorts, though his flip flops were always falling apart and she was a devout follower of Converse. They always signed up for the same games and activities. From larping, (they were geeks) to ultimate frisbee.

They were just friends. Until the dance. They came to watch the movie with all the loners in the beginning, it was Star Wars, her favorite, but they didn't stay long. I went to the dance later on, trying to convince myself it wasn't to look for him, but who was I kidding? I saw them sitting on the edge of the dance floor and a slow song came on. He had this pained look on his face when he saw everyone else coupling up, and looked at her for a moment. I found myself chanting in my head, "don't do it, don't do it." But he did. I saw him turn towards her and say something, she looked surprised for a second and then she got this happy look on her face and somehow I just couldn't be mad at her. I wanted to, but just couldn't. They got up and started to dance. They looked awkward for a few moments, but cute. Once they started to talk they seemed to forget that they were dancing together.

I don't think their relationship will last, they're too similar.

But their friendship will.

unwrittenloveThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Oh wow. This sounds just like my life. i swear. :P great job! love the imagery :)

iwanttobeforeveryoung replied...
Thanks so much!