EC-AM=Heartbreak Chapter 27 | Teen Ink

EC-AM=Heartbreak Chapter 27

May 12, 2010
By TeamJacobArchuleta ELITE, Chicago, Illinois
TeamJacobArchuleta ELITE, Chicago, Illinois
183 articles 7 photos 484 comments

Favorite Quote:
He's the one I call in the middle of the night. He's the one who makes everything alright. He loves me with no regret...I just haven't found him yet.


I woke up in the middle of the night, jolting upright in my bed. A cold film of sweat made my body feel damp and sticky. I took deep breaths, in through the nose, out through the mouth. And I continued breathing like this until my body stopped trembling.
But even though the trembling wore off, that creepy feeling that had woken me up was still there. It felt like someone was watching me. I glanced around my room, half-expecting to see a dark figure standing at the foot of my bed. But there was no dark figure. Just me.
But then, my gaze landed on my window and I realized what had caused this feeling. There was someone standing at Will’s bedroom window…staring right at me. The person’s eyes bore into mine, until I quickly looked away. I took deep, shaky breaths. Then looked back out the window.
The person was gone.
I couldn’t believe it. Why the hell was Will watching me out his window at two-forty-freakin’-five in the morning? Could he be any more of a creeper?
“That wasn’t Will,” The second I heard these words, I knew I was hallucinating. Not because of what was said, but because of the voice that had said it. Ash.
Sure enough, I saw it again. His ghost. There one second, then gone in a flash. Glowing lucidly, eerily.
I squeezed my eyes shut, willing myself to stop having these stupid delusions. “This isn’t real. It’s just a figment of my imagination. Ash is dead. He’s gone.” I this to myself over and over again, and I was pretty convinced too. Until a gust of wind ran through my room. But my window was closed.
My eyes opened and Ash was there. He was right next to me. I could see him, feel him there with me. “That wasn’t Will.” he repeated. “It was Michael.”
“But—but—you’re not real. I’m just imagining this.” I said more to myself than to him. He couldn’t be real. I was just hallucinating.
“Evalynne, you aren’t imagining anything. This is real. I’m real. And I’m here to tell you that you need to stay away from Michael. He’s not a good person, Evalynne. He’s dangerous.” Ash told me.
“But if you’re real, then how come you disappeared for such a long time?” I queried, ignoring what he’d said about Michael.
“Because I knew you didn’t want me around. I saw you and Kristy talking at Sadie’s. I saw that you’d convinced yourself that it was just your imagination, so I let you go on thinking that. I knew it was best for you. But now, I need to protect you.”
“But what about the letter? When I tried to show it to Kristy, it wasn’t there!” I cried.
“I took it out on the car ride to Sadie’s. Evalynne, you can’t let anyone else know about me. Once you tell people, they’ll think you’re crazy. Just like how Kristy did.” he informed me.
“Well maybe if I had that letter for proof, she’d have believed me.” I shot back. “You’re the one who made me look crazy!”
“No, she wouldn’t have. She’d have thought you wrote it yourself. Then she would’ve really thought you were going crazy. But that’s not important right now. I came here to warn you about that guy, Michael. You need to stay away from him!”
“So have you been here the whole time then? Were you watching me this whole time?” I wondered aloud, still paying no attention to what he was saying about Michael. I had too many questions about him.
“Evalynne, listen to me!” he exploded, his tone urgent. I was about to scold him for being so loud, tell him that he would wake up Mom. But then I remembered that only I could here him. His voice was in my head, like I was listening to my iPod. Except, instead of The White Tie Affair blaring through the ear buds, it was Ash’s voice. “I need you to promise me that you’ll stay away from Michael.”
The way he said this scared me. He sounded like he was serious. And I was pretty sure he was. “Why?”
“Because he’s dangerous.”
“How is he dangerous?” I inquired, still confused.
“His girlfriend—the Will told you about that his parents love so much—she died four days ago. She fell down the stairs and broke her spine.” he told me. “At least that’s what everyone thinks. That’s what her college’s school newspaper had published. But that’s not the truth. The truth is that Michael pushed her down those stairs.”
“What?” I demanded. “How can you possibly know that? Do you follow him around too or something?”
“No, but when Will mentioned him when you two first met, I knew that I should probably check him out, to make sure he wouldn’t be any harm to you if he ever came to visit. And it’s a good thing I did too, because if I didn’t, you’d be totally oblivious to how psychotic this guy is.”
“But I don’t understand. Why would he push his girlfriend down the stairs?” I asked him.
“Because when his girlfriend met Will, she thought he was funny. She didn’t hate him like Michael does. She thought he was nice. She became friends with him.” Ash informed me. “And this made Michael mad. One day, she asked how Will was doing. She asked if she’d ever get to meet him again. And that’s when Michael snapped. He pushed her down the stairs without even thinking twice. Then he called the cops and told them she fell. He’s a pretty good actor too. They believed every word he said.”
“So, he doesn’t like it when girls are friends with Will?” I queried, still sort of confused.
“Exactly,” he replied.
“But why?” I cried. “Will’s his brother!”
“I know, I’m confused too. I’m guessing that they just had a sibling rivalry thing growing up, and now it’s gone to Michael’s head. This guy’s out of his mind though. I’m telling you, watch out for him.”
“Well what about Valerie and Lacey? They dated Will.” I pointed out. “In fact, Lacey is Will’s current girlfriend right now.”
“Yep, and Valerie is Michael’s current girlfriend.” Ash remarked matter-of-factly.
“What?” I exclaimed, my eyes going wide with shock. I couldn’t believe this. So not only was Michael a whack-job, but he was also a girlfriend-stealer. Wow, this guy had some serious issues. Talk about crazy. What a basket-case.
“Yeah, Michael had been planning this out for a while now. Finally, he’s decided to put his plan into action. He’s completed step one by luring her in to him. Step two is to charm her until she’s completely head-over-heels for him. Step three is to kill her.” His voice was grave when it came to step three.
“What about Lacey?” I asked. “Does he have a plan for her too?”
“Yep, it’s the same plan as the one he made for Valerie,”
I swallowed hard, unsure if I was ready to ask this question. Unsure if I was ready to hear the answer to it. “Does he have a plan for me yet?” I asked. “After all, I am Will’s friend. He knows I’m Will’s friend too. Oh my gosh, that’s why he acted so weird when he found out that Will and I were friends!”
“Don’t worry, he doesn’t have a plan for you yet. At least, not one that I know of. But don’t worry. I won’t let him hurt you.” he assured me, his tone sincere.
“Ash, you’re a ghost. How can you protect me when you’re dead?” I cried.
He sighed, looking crestfallen. I knew that he wanted to be my knight in shining armor, to keep me safe no matter what. But he couldn’t exactly do that if he wasn’t alive.
“Just stay away from him, ok?” he demanded.
“Ash, he’s staying right next door to me. He knows where I live. He was just staring into my room. Oh my gosh, Ash, he’s going to kill me for sure!” I was freaking out now. So much fear was coursing through my body, that I felt sick.
“Evalynne, who the hell are you screaming at?” Mom demanded, storming into my bedroom. I’d completely forgotten that she was still asleep.
“Oh, I was just uh…” I trailed off, unable to think of a good explanation. “I just had a nightmare.” I lied hastily. “I think I was screaming in my sleep, and then you walked in and I woke up.”
“Well just go back to sleep,” she commanded, her voice thick with drowsiness.
And the moment she was gone, I whispered, “Ash? Are you still there?”
“Just promise me,” he said. I couldn’t see him anymore, but I could here his voice inside my head.
“I promise,” I told him sincerely. Then I felt his presence disappear, and I knew he was gone.


The author's comments:
So, what did you guys all think?

Similar Articles

JOIN THE DISCUSSION

This article has 17 comments.


Simone21 said...
on Oct. 4 2011 at 10:49 pm
Is this like a romance and horror story? Also I think you moved it a little too fast...I mean the day she meets Michael she already knows he's a pschycopath because the ghost of her dead husband told her?

on Oct. 3 2010 at 8:45 pm
Kaylin_Mackenzie GOLD, Tomball, Texas
13 articles 0 photos 61 comments

Favorite Quote:
"You might not like me, but Jesus thinks I'm to die for!"
"L.O.V.E's just another word I'll never learn to pronounce...."

i miss ash..... </3

TuffGurl said...
on Sep. 28 2010 at 4:50 pm
omg Michael is a FREAK! But you should make him try and get Evalynne alone a lot... and then he does and tries to kill her but she escapes. that would be AWESOME!

Addiekins said...
on Sep. 23 2010 at 3:37 pm
Addiekins, Ukiah, California
0 articles 0 photos 22 comments

Favorite Quote:
Are you there? I cannot hear what you say in response. Or maybe the silence is just you listening

 really like how you made Ash a ghost. Hes so sweet as a ghost. He should have become a ghost way sooner than this! =) And i love Will. The whole michael thing is a bit overly dramatic and crazy.. But understandable because i feel that way about my sister. I hate when my friends are friends with her. I almost dumped my bestfriend because of her.

on Jun. 8 2010 at 5:41 pm
OfficialApprover PLATINUM, Orefield, Pennsylvania
48 articles 0 photos 1752 comments

Favorite Quote:
Grab life by the balls. -Slobberknocker
We cannot change the cards we're dealt just how we play the hand
Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted
It's pretty easy to be smart when you're parroting smart people
-Randy Pausch

Awesome!  Great twist! I love what you did with Michael, and how Ash isn't all rude and jealous anymore.  Amazing!  Btw, once they get posted, could you check out my work?

on Jun. 2 2010 at 4:16 pm
TeamJacobArchuleta ELITE, Chicago, Illinois
183 articles 7 photos 484 comments

Favorite Quote:
He's the one I call in the middle of the night. He's the one who makes everything alright. He loves me with no regret...I just haven't found him yet.

u got it girl, i'd be happy to read ur stuff lol :)

on May. 24 2010 at 4:27 pm
ashkash95 SILVER, New Hyde Park, New York
9 articles 0 photos 99 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Love never fails." 1 Corinthians 13:8

so the whole creepy brother thing made this story even better which i didn't think was possible!!!

on May. 23 2010 at 11:49 am
Woahalliee BRONZE, Kissimmee, Florida
2 articles 0 photos 29 comments

Favorite Quote:
"The greatest thing you will ever learn is to love and be loved in return" - Moulin Rouge!

WOW. Evalynne sure attracts psycopaths! I really still want Will and her to be together though. Someone should catch Michael so he won't do it again.

on May. 20 2010 at 3:51 pm
Lost-In-Life GOLD, Whitby, Other
11 articles 0 photos 299 comments

Favorite Quote:
It's never to late, if it weren't for the last minute many things would never get done!

Never mind. Disregard my last comment. LOL!

on May. 20 2010 at 3:16 pm
feartheuntypical GOLD, Nelson, Other
13 articles 0 photos 46 comments

Favorite Quote:
A writer is somebody for whom writing is more difficult than it is for other people.
- Thomas Mann

By the way, please check out my story. I'm new so no one looks at them. 

TeenInk.com/fiction/sci_fi_fantasy/article/210957/Selfish/

 


on May. 20 2010 at 2:04 am
feartheuntypical GOLD, Nelson, Other
13 articles 0 photos 46 comments

Favorite Quote:
A writer is somebody for whom writing is more difficult than it is for other people.
- Thomas Mann

Wow. Michael is creeeeeeepy

on May. 19 2010 at 4:09 pm
TeamJacobArchuleta ELITE, Chicago, Illinois
183 articles 7 photos 484 comments

Favorite Quote:
He's the one I call in the middle of the night. He's the one who makes everything alright. He loves me with no regret...I just haven't found him yet.

lol thanx so much for the feedback, i'm so thrilled u like it! :)

on May. 19 2010 at 2:43 pm
unwrittenlove DIAMOND, Mount Berry, Georgia
61 articles 11 photos 153 comments

Favorite Quote:
"If you love something, let it go. If it comes back to you, its yours forever. If it dosent, then it was never meant to be" -anonymous

whoa...it posted this twice.....sry! O_O

on May. 19 2010 at 2:42 pm
unwrittenlove DIAMOND, Mount Berry, Georgia
61 articles 11 photos 153 comments

Favorite Quote:
"If you love something, let it go. If it comes back to you, its yours forever. If it dosent, then it was never meant to be" -anonymous

I am loving this!!! :) I have read it from the very beginning and am very pleased. You are an amazing writer and your stories make people feel many things! You better have a good ending to this story! ;)

And the whole, Ash thing. That seems kinda creepy. I love it (it adds mystery to the story) and it is kinda cool. Nice twist, keeping Ash in there.

And the whole 'dad' thing! God...that makes me sooo mad!! I hate her dad! How could he do that? ugh. he disgusts me.

So....Will....haha. I have started to love him! He is soooo sweet and cute (the way you describe him) He is kinda my type; i love bad boys. ;) haha. I want her to end up with him! But Michael is creepy. He scares me. If I saw someone that preppy then I would freak. Glad to know he isn't perfect. lol.  haha!

Well, those are my comments. :) I love this story and can't wait to hear more. Nothing better happen to Evalynne and she better end up with Will.


on May. 18 2010 at 8:31 pm
TeamJacobArchuleta ELITE, Chicago, Illinois
183 articles 7 photos 484 comments

Favorite Quote:
He's the one I call in the middle of the night. He's the one who makes everything alright. He loves me with no regret...I just haven't found him yet.

lol yeah her dad definitely is a jerk :)  and no worries about the first comment, it wasn't rude at all! in fact i like criticism so that i can make my work better, so thank u :)  and i know the whole ghost things is definitely weird, but it gets more normal as the story goes on... lol thanx for reading & i'm glad u like it :)

on May. 18 2010 at 3:58 pm

OH! and the whole thing with Nina and Evalynne's dad? Her dad is a blind, inconsiderate jerk. Haha. Just thought I'd say that. He keeps saying he loves Nancy (is that her name? I forgot) and Evalynne, but he doesn't. He doesn't at all. If he did, he wouldn't be with Nina! Nina's horrible! She doesn't love Roger (is that his name? haha) or she wouldn't put him and his family through this. Evalynne and Nancy are perfectly in the right to be furious and hurt. Roger's an idiot. And a jerk. And he doesn't really care what he's doing to them.

ok good writing! keep it up!

:)

-Rosa


on May. 18 2010 at 3:56 pm

ok i just commented on Chap.26 and now I gotta comment again. I usually don't comment but... I'm doing it now :P

yeah i don't like this whole Ash thing. I thought the whole relationship was kind of wonky, and now he's stalking her from the dead? It's kind of unnerving and strange. Reader input :P haha when i write i'm always begging people to give me honest opinions and they're always scared to... so... sorry if that was rude of me :P 

-Rosa