Let's Play Golf On the Moon, and Tennis on the Sun. | Teen Ink

Let's Play Golf On the Moon, and Tennis on the Sun.

April 18, 2010
By o5angelique21 BRONZE, Cumberland, Rhode Island
o5angelique21 BRONZE, Cumberland, Rhode Island
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

Favorite Quote:
"If today was your last day, and tomorrow was too late, could you say goodbye to yesterday?"
If today was your last day, Nickelback


Two Years Ago

I flopped back on my bed, almost dropping the phone. “Sorry Jess could you repeat that? I didn’t hear you.”

My best friend let out a huff. “You didn’t hear me or you didn’t want to hear me? I know you too well Amber.”

I sighed. She was right. Jessica has been my best friend since second grade and we were now sophomores in high school.

Jess repeated herself, “I had said STOP glancing at Brian all class.”
“But he glances at me too!” I interrupted.

"Stop. I am not finished. And if he glances at you that shouldn’t make you more nervous Amber. You sit right next to him. Just start a conversation with him one day.”

“But what should I say?”

“I don’t know. What about that stupid quote he has on his notebook. Something about golf?”

I closed my eyes and smiled, then said, “It’s not stupid. It says Lets play golf on the moon and tennis on the sun. It’s cute not stupid.”

“Well do you know what it’s from? Like a movie or a song?” argued Jess.

“Jessica,” I said, “Why can’t you leave me to think he’s clever enough to come up with that on his own?”

She giggled. “Because I’m realistic.”

“AMBER! Dinner!” My mother called me before I could say something. “Okay Jess I have to go eat.

“Say hi to your parents for me.”

“I will. See you tomorrow. Bye bye.”

“Bye.” I hung up the phone and lay there for a minute before going down to eat, thinking about Brian.








* * *

I went to school that day with confidence. I was going to talk to Brian. Yes, I would not chicken out. When I walked into English and glanced at Brian, I lost all confidence. I walked with my head down and hot cheeks and took my seat next to Brian.

As I was looking for something to do, Brian spoke, “Hey Amber.” My breath caught in my throat as I looked up at him. His brown hair was falling in front of his right eye. I think I’m having a heart attack.

“Hi Brian.” My voice was barely audible.

He took a deep breath and said, “Um, well, I know we don’t really talk, but, um, well,” Aw he’s nervous. How sweet I thought. He continued, “I just wanted to tell you that I think you have really pretty hair.” He looked away, pink rising in his cheeks. I put a hand over my hair.

“Thanks,” I said, “I like your eyes. They’re very blue. And, um, that quote on your notebook. It’s cute. But, um, what does it mean?”

“Let’s do the impossible.” Brian smiled at me and took my hand. That’s all it took.

Present Day

“I’m sorry,” I said, sniffling. “May I have another tissue?”

“Of course,” Mrs. Ruben said softly. I wiped my wet face and then blew my nose. I threw it into the waste basket next to me, which was already half-full with my tear and snot filled tissues. Yuck. “Do you want to continue?” asked Mrs. Ruben. I took a deep breath and nodded.
One Year Ago
Is that my alarm? No, my alarm doesn’t vibrate and it’s a Saturday. It was my cell phone. I flipped it opened without checking who it was calling me I was so tired.

“Hello?” Gross, my voice was all groggy. “Happy one year honey!!!” Brian’s lovely voice filled my head. Well I was awake now.

I rubbed my eyes and said, “Oh my God that’s right. Today’s the twentieth. Happy one year my love!” Yes that’s right. I loved Brian. And he loved me too.
“Wow. A year. Can you believe it? We’ve been through so much.”

I smiled sleepily and said, “I know it’s very exciting.”

Brian spoke again, “Okay Amber I’ll let you sleep. I have my driving test in about fifteen minutes.”

“Good luck.”

“Thank you. I’ll call you later. Love you.”

“Love you too Brian.”

“Bye honey. “

“Goodbye.” I closed my phone and slid back under the covers. What a wonderful day.
















* * *
Brian pulled up to the driveway and walked up to the front porch. I grabbed my purse and yelled goodbye to my parents.

“I want to drive tonight,” I said as I jumped up to kiss Brian on the cheek.

“No,” he said, “Tonight is our one year and six months and the restaurant is a surprise. Come on.” Just like he always has, Brian opened the car door for me. Gosh he is so sweet I thought. Brian looked over at me and smiled as I watched him start the car. It might have only been one year and six months together, but I was excited.
















* * *

As soon as we paid the check, Brian and I left the restaurant. “Oh no! It’s pouring!” I exclaimed.

Acting like a gentleman once again, Brian said, “Well I’ll run out to the car and bring it to the front so you don’t have to get wet.”

“Aw that’s so sweet hon. But no you don’t-." “I’ll be back in a minute!” He left to get the car. I sighed. He was so sweet to me and I loved him so much. He made me happy. I was still smiling when Brian pulled up in front of me. He leaned over and opened the door. Shivering I lowered myself onto the seat closed the door and buckled my seatbelt as Brian remembered to do the same. Brian was driving kind of fast for the rain so I asked him to slow down. He did.

Just as Brian was about to pass the highway, I said, “Could you take the highway? It’s a longer way and I don’t want this night to end.” He took my hand and smiled.

“Do you remember how we met?”

“Of course. You told me I had pretty hair and then I asked about the quote on your notebook.”

“Let’s play golf on the moon and tennis on the sun,” we said together and then laughed.

“You know, I still plan on doing that.”

I laughed at Brian and said, “Okay fine. We’ll do the impossible together.” I sighed happily and looked out the windshield. It was really hard to see. “Brian. Bry! Those are headlights. Brian he’s swerving all over the road!”

Brian was panicking and he said, “There’s nowhere for me to go Amber!” The car started coming toward us. Fast.

“BRIAN!” I screamed. Screech, swerve, slide. That’s what the car did. Bounce, slam, crash. That’s what our bodies did. Round and round and round we went. I closed my eyes, screamed and squeezed my lovers hand while he squeezed mine. We stopped? We stopped. Brian’s hand was limp in mine. I didn’t want to open my eyes. Was that a pulse? Mine? Brian’s? Brians. 911? Yes, a car accident. Yes I’m fine. I can’t tell if the driver is. Ambulance? I hear the sirens. Voices.

“Easy now, he’s bleeding.” Bleeding? Brian’s bleeding? Brian’s bleeding.

“Are you okay Miss?” Okay? Am I? Yes, I can walk. “Brian. Where’s Brian?” Rain. I don’t like rain.

“He’s over here miss. In the truck.” Truck? That’s bad. Brian.

“Brian!” I ran towards the ambulance and jumped inside. Blood was dripping down his the side of his face. He was breathing very slowly. “Hey hon. How are you feeling?” His eyes fluttered and finally opened.

His lips moved slowly as he said, “Great.” Tears fell down my face and fell onto our hands.

“I love you Brian.”

“I love to too Amber.” His eyes started to close. “I’ll be waiting to play golf on the moon and tennis on the sun with you.”
Present day

“Those were his last words. I bet he’s still waiting for me.” Now my shirt was soaked with my tears. “Did you know this is the first time I’ve told the whole story?”

Mrs. Ruben said, “Well it has only been six months.”

“No. When you love someone as much as I loved Brian, it seems like so much longer. And I’m waiting to play golf on the moon and tennis on the sun with him.”

The author's comments:
I wrote this piece to submit into a writing contest. I could not think of something to write about but when i saw this quote on my friends AIM status, it inspired me. hope you enjoy it :)