Apples

The apple hangs from the tree; gingerly awaiting to be plucked. She sees a man walking toward the tree. He holds a basket- an apple basket. The apple gets excited and makes sure he sees her shiny side, turning her body so the sun reflects off it and makes her glow. But she is not alone. The other apples do the same, all wanting to be noticed. All wanting to be chosen. All wanting to be wanted. The man stops at the trunk of the tree and examines the apples. First, he looks for color; he will only pick the reddest, ripest apple. Next he looks for shine; only the blindingly brightest would do. He then finds one that he likes. He smiles beautifully and begins to reach his hand up to a branch. His hand is coming straight for her, making her wildest dreams come true. Then, just before he gets close enough to touch her, he plucks the apple next to her. Her world shatters. As the man’s hand retracts, she tries to bump it; using all her might to swing toward him. She misses completely, but ends up falling. She watches as the world flies by her. Finally, she hits the ground with a thud! She looks up at the man. He is walking away, smiling at his pick. She then looks up. She sees the branch she used to call home. She will never get back. She will live her life from the ground. She is doomed to rot on the cold dewy grass until she dissolves into the earth. All she wanted was to be chosen. All she wanted was to be wanted.

Sarbear This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
this left me speechless. i love your metaphore. so touching... so understandable. youve related to me... i love htis.

LoveHappens This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
I've never read anything like this before! To me, it's kind of like a metaphor for how girls feel when a guy passes by and then he goes for a popular girl without realizing just how special the ones standing off to the side are. Amazing! You have great potential for a writing career :D