For The Best

I never thought we’d actually be broken up, but here he was, leaving me. I fought back tears and I clutched the silver key necklace in my sweaty palm, the key necklace he gave me for our one year anniversary.

“Jade, I’m sorry, but I think it’s for the best.”

Brad was never clear with his reasoning that day, and as I cried, he walked down my driveway to his car for the last time.

“Wait!” I shouted, running to his car.

“Yes?” he asked, and when I looked closely, it looked as if he was about to cry too.

“Are you okay?” I hesitantly asked.

“Yeah, everything’s fine.”

I knew it wasn’t.

I took the key necklace from my hand and placed it in his, “You said this was the key to your heart. You might want it back.” I sobbed.

He gave it back to me, “No. This will always be yours. I love you.” He kissed me on the cheek for the last time, then got in his car, started the engine, and drove away, leaving me clueless.

The next day in the news, I found out he got into a bad car accident.

I thought of how I could've done things differently, as tears fell down my angry, hot face.

“Jade, I’m sorry, but I think it’s for the best,” is what he said.

amaranth178 said...
....I am definitely thinking....so many questions but one really, really sticks out--who initiated the 'break-up'? (there are clues to suggest it coming from either side)

tennisislovee34 replied...
Apr. 25, 2010 at 8:45 pm :
the boy broke up with her, and i can see where you get to the clues on both sides. but actually, looking back on this, i don't really like it, to be honest :/