Lonely Little Bunny | Teen Ink

Lonely Little Bunny

By Belinda Burger SILVER, Fresno, California
Belinda Burger SILVER, Fresno, California

“Anastasia,” my best friend, Maria, says, “You have to get a boyfriend so we can double date!”

“Why do I have to get a boyfriend? I can just ask a cute guy out then we can do the double date,” I say as we look through the racks at Macy’s. I pull off a black halter top with a price of $10.99. Happy with the price, I drape it over my arm.

“Because,” she says handing me a pair of dark jean short shorts, “I don’t want you going through life with one date deals. It’s not going to lead you to happiness.”

“But then I get a variety, and they aren’t all one date deals, that Drew guy got at least two.”

“Still, you’ve never had a serious relationship. Just because your parents didn’t work out doesn’t mean all couples are like that.” As I cringe she says, “Oh my gosh I’m so sorry, I didn’t mean to mention that. I just want you to be happy.”

“Well as far as I’m concerned not one guy has proved he’s worth keeping around so I’ll stick to one date per person,” I say as we go up to the register. I look up expecting to see a woman but instead I’m looking at a brown eyed hunk. “Hi,” I say smiling as I give him a once over. One look at him in that tight shirt and I can tell he’s ripped, not to mention I love how his short black hair brings out his reddish-brown eyes.

“Hey,” he says returning my smile and once over as he scans the price tags.

“So how’d a hunk like you end up working in the juniors section?”

“Well I thought my boss was torturing me but now I think I got lucky serving a cute girl.”

“Cute? I’m flattered,” I say smiling and giggling. What’s wrong with me, I think, I never giggle when I flirt.

“The giggles adorable,” he says winking, “So I get off work in about an hour, what’s say I take you to a movie? Maybe dinner too?”

“I’d honestly love to, but I have a photo shoot at the beach in an hour. That’s what these clothes are for. But I’m free tomorrow night; we could go to the boardwalk with my friend and her boyfriend.”

“Sounds like a plan,” he says putting my purchase into a bag and scribbling something down on my receipt, “I’m Calvin, Cal for short.”

“Anastasia,” I say taking the bags and receipt, “Ana for short. Bye.”

Once we’re out of earshot I say, “See I don’t need a boyfriend.”

“Hey it starts with a date, maybe this time he’ll meet your standards,” she says.

“We’ll see,” I say as I read the number he wrote down.

“Well he’s the first guy I’ve seen you giggle around.”

“That so doesn’t mean anything,” I insist as we get into her red corvette and start heading down to the beach.

“So how much do you think you’ll get for this gig?”

“At least $100, especially since the shots are going in Vogue.”

“They are?”

“Ya it’s an ad for uh…sun tan lotion.”

“That’s why you bought a new sun tan lotion. It’s the Sunny Skin brand right?”

“Ya and it works great,” I say looking at my crisp new tan.

“Want to get a hold of a free bottle for me?”

“Sure,” I say laughing as she pulls into Peer Beach’s parking lot. She helps me carry my bags over to the south end of the beach where the photographer is set up.

“Hey Lance,” I say. Lance is the usual photographer they assign to me; he’s gay and is my really good friend, always telling me what guys mean by what they say and do.

“Annie!” he says hugging me, “I’m hoping you got some very sexy swim suits for your big ad shot.”

“I’m sure you’ll approve,” I say holding up one of the tops.

“Oh darling, you’ll be fighting off the boys who see us doing the shoot.”

“Well I’ll have to say no to all of them because I have a date for tomorrow night.”

“Oh I hope this isn’t another one of your one date deals,” he says clicking his tongue.

“See I’m not the only one!” Maria says.

“I don’t see what the big deal is,” I say grabbing a suit and walking over to the cabana Lance set up, “I’m a model, I should have open options.”

“Honey,” Lance says, “Even models settle down eventually. I know plenty of models with boyfriends; hasn’t ruined their career.”

“Whatever,” I say coming out in a lime green bikini and super short shorts, “Let’s just do the shoot.”

on Jun. 12 2011 at 8:21 am
Odessa_Sterling00 DIAMOND, No, Missouri

All gave some, some gave all. -War Veterans headstone.

Plus, the title makes no sence at all.

on Jun. 12 2011 at 8:20 am
Odessa_Sterling00 DIAMOND, No, Missouri

I think you should have finished it.  This is just like going.

"I've been to the docotor and they..." and then you just slap a "the end" on a call it good.

on May. 15 2010 at 7:47 pm
srry i've stopped writing this story 4 personal reasons....

on Apr. 24 2010 at 11:39 am
biggerinfinities SILVER, Superior, Colorado

“We accept the love we think we deserve.”
― Stephen Chbosky, The Perks of Being a Wallflower

where is the rest???? i like it!!!! its cool

on Apr. 19 2010 at 12:32 pm
Karma_Crow PLATINUM, Savannah, Georgia

"Behold thy sorrow of the tears that streak down our cheek and made upon of what he is. Behold our sorrow that we hold within us. Show ye thee of the how we feel of each of us."- Lestat

This is quite excelent. Keep up the work, friend!