That's Why I Love You

She kneels on the ground, her arms wrapped around her torso, trying to keep the pieces of her heart together. "Why not me?" she asks, tears streaming down her face. "Why her? Why not me?". Her voice breaks on the last syllable, as she starts to realize what has happened. "I can't do this, I just can't." there is no desperation in her voice, only knowledge. The knowledge that she's gone forever. And as tears stream down her face, I can't but be filled with love. For her, for them, but mostly, mostly just for Em. There's a reason she's gone, and we acknowledge it. We just doesn't want to accept it. As her heart is torn apart, I come over with a roll of scotch tape and say "I can't fix it, but I can help with the hurt." She collapses is my arms, sobbing, and I say "That's why I love you. Because even though you're tough and independent, you let me in when it hurts. 'Cause if you don't, the hurt'll just get worse." "I love you" she whispers. "And I you." I say. No tears will come, but inside my heart is overflowing with them. And I realize that the woman crying in my arms is not Cara, but Em. And that my love is the only thing left.

DaisyC. said...
This almost made me cry. Great work!

Muffy replied...
Apr. 27, 2010 at 6:25 pm :
Wow.... Thanks!