Prudence | Teen Ink

Prudence

By Awesomesauce SILVER, Daly City, California
Awesomesauce SILVER, Daly City, California

“Sometimes you put walls up not to keep people out, but to see who cares enough to break them down.”

He had been known to publicly (and very passionately) snog every girl he'd ever gone out with.

Little did he know that that girl was about to break his reputation.

When he tried to kiss her in first period, she smothered his mouth with her hand and shoved his face away.

He tried to steal a kiss in the hallways amidst the sea of people, but that only earned him a smack on the head.

"I don't like public displays of affection," she says. "Especially the ones who do it." She wrinkles her nose, adding her apparent disgust at seeing him do it so many times with the girls he used to go out with.

"I don't want the whole school to know yet." But he knows she was only using those words as a tactic to push him away. He knows the whole school probably already knows they're going out, with the amount of time they've been spending with each other and all it takes is less than an idiot to guess.

A week of not being able to express his feeling for the one he loves is driving him crazy. He knew he'd had to change her mind.

"Please, just one?"

When they reached into a corner, she suddenly stopped walking and tilted her head towards the side so that her cheeks were facing him. She moved her head slightly upwards, signaling him to peck her on the cheek. "Well, what are you waiting for? Hurry up before anyone passes by."

He leaned over to kiss her on the cheek, but on the last moment, he grabbed her chin and tilted her head back towards the front so that she was facing him, and gave her a chaste kiss on the lips. The feeling he felt kissing her was different from what he felt when he kissed other girls.

However, that earned him another, more painful smack on the head, and a threat.

But it was worth it.