EC+AM=4ever Chapter 49: THE END

6:00 p.m.
Ash’s House

“Dinner’s ready!” I called out into the living room. Ash’s mom stood up from the couch, setting her book down and walked into the kitchen.

“Mm, smells good.” she complimented.

“Thanks,” I replied. “I made lasagna.” We both sat down at the kitchen table and began eating. When the doctors had let her go home from the hospital, I volunteered to be the one to take care of her. So I moved in next door, at what was Ash’s house.

I was close to my parents still, only one house away from them to be exact, so they came over often and vice versa. However, I was also taking classes online for college. That way, I could stay at my new home with Ash’s mom, my mother-in-law, and still “go to college” at the same time.

I also worked part-time at Sadie’s to help pay for the rent, but my parents helped out too. However, once the lease was up, we’d both be moving back to my house. She just didn’t want to, and I quote, “waste her house”. So we came to the agreement that we would both live here until the lease was up.

She took a bite of her food and lick her lips. “It tastes good too.”

“Thank you, I’m glad you like it.” I said.

We both finished our dinner and then I stood up to take care of the dishes. “I’m kind of tired.” she announced. “I think I’m going to go to sleep early tonight.”

“Ok,” I rejoined. So I walked her up to her room. I waited outside her bedroom door as she changed into her nightgown. Everyday, I had to lay her clothes out for her, because she couldn’t remember which drawer everything was in. When she opened her door, announcing that she was ready, I led her to her bed.

She climbed in and I pulled the covers up over her body, leaving her head sticking out. “I’ll be right back.” I informed her. “I’m going to get your medicine.”

So I walked into the hallway bathroom and opened up the medicine cabinet, pulling out the small box of Aricept and taking out two small pills. Then I grabbed the small glass cup sitting on the sink’s vanity and filled it with water from the sink.

I took the medication and the water to her room and handed them both to her. She sat up in her bed and took each pill separately, washing them down with a gulp of water each time. Then she handed me the empty cup and I turned to walk out of the room.

“Wait,” she called out.

I turned back to face her again. “What is it?”

“Where’s Ash?” she asked. “I want to say goodnight to him.” This was the hardest thing about living with her. The Alzheimer’s caused her to continue to forget that Ash was no longer alive. So almost every day she would ask me where Ash was. And almost every day I had to remind her that he was dead.

“Ash isn’t alive anymore, remember?” I said like always.

Her face contorted into a sad, disappointed, empty expression. “He’s dead?”

I nodded, “Yes.”

A few tears trickled down her cheeks, but she soon composed herself, looking up at me. “Do you miss him?”

“Very much,” I replied.

“Do you ever think about him?”

“All the time,”

“Did you love him?”

“I still do.”

She paused for a moment, looking down at the blanket spread across her body. “I wish I could remember him.”

“He remembers you.” I told her.

“How? He’s dead.” she said.

“Yeah, but now he’s up in Heaven with all the angels. And he’s looking down on us and protecting us. He saved you from that coma.”

She smiled and looked up at the ceiling, “Thank you, Ash. When I die, I’ll come up to Heaven and thank you in person.”

I grinned, a tear rolling down my face. “Why don’t we say goodnight to him?” I suggested.

She nodded, approving of this idea. “Goodnight, Ash.” she said, looking up at the ceiling again.

“Goodnight, Ash.” I repeated after her, also staring up at the ceiling. “I love you.” Then I walked out of her room and into my own. And when I got inside, I walked over to the window and stared out. Looking right into my old room.
THE END

Author's Note: So what did you guys think of the ending? Also, keep your eyes peeled because I'll be posting the 1st chapter of the sequel to EC+AM=4ever soon.

XxMusic_Maniac1398xX said...

I can't believe he died! i was sitting in school and read that and everybody asked me why i was crying! :'( so sadd! it made me think of what I'd do if my love died!! Barely get to see him enough as it is!

Amazing book though! You are a very talented writer!!

nina.w said...
Dec. 21, 2011 at 12:58 am
its 2am i started reading this in the evening... i was hooked. great story ( oh just one thing its "me neither" not "me either")

Malaysia.Girl247 said...
Nov. 19, 2011 at 8:09 am

Amazing! What inspired you to write this story? Cuz the supense is crazy good. I'm also writing a novel but sometimes I get stuck and tht just sux. You're really awesome! But I didn't cry though. Nvm, my tears are always rare. Expensive, some people call it. LOL 

Anyways, I'm team Cole all the way. Ash was just too complicated. This might sound harsh but I'm glad you took him out of the picture haha.

Also, if you don't mind sharing, wht do you normally do when you get stuck... (more »)

samwich7 said...
Nov. 8, 2011 at 7:52 am
I sat and read this whole thing for hours and hours. Each chapter had me hooked. It wasn't Evalynne- it was me Ash had wraped around his finger. This is the most amazing thing ever. Now I'm going to go read your other stuff. :)

writemymusic33 said...
wow this is amazing. i just finished the whole thing haha. i cried soo much, i really just wish ash could come back! :( i'll be sure to read your second book. you're a really great writer! keep it up:)

TeamJacobArchuleta replied...
thanks so much! i'm really glad u liked it(:

Catiestar said...
Jun. 30, 2011 at 1:57 am
Oh, and it's three am. It was such a good story that I couldn't go to bed until I finished it. That's how good a writer you are.

TeamJacobArchuleta replied...
you have no idea how ecstatic i am tht you like my work! haha i'm really glad you liked it, thanks so much for reading(:

Catiestar said...
Jun. 30, 2011 at 1:56 am
Is it bad that you've cried so many tears you can't see anymore? That's where I'm at right now. Blinded. It was such a good story, but terribly sad. I loved it, but I can't believe Ash is dead. It makes me wanna die.

TanazMasaba This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
This is THE BEST chapter throughout the book! Best of all, this is where you get out of that shell and truly mature as a writer. Before, the story has been going on a bad ride, but you've learned to smooth it out to a nice landing! Two thumbs up! Im crying so much i cant even type!

mayo.girlie97 said...
that was fantastic!!! i loved it sooo much!! i personally think the beginning & the end were the best parts...i loved how it came full circle. the middle could have done without a lot of that drama...it would be perfect if Evalynne didn't overeact to everything! please, please, please keep writing; you are amazing at it!!! =)

skoppy355 said...
PLEASE GET PUBLISHED!!!!! :) I would love to read this as a book.  I mean, reading it online was great but there's something about having a book in ur hands, uk?

kkayla3897 said...

*sniff, sniff*

I can't stand this anymore and I'm glad it's over!

xXmusicluvr4lifeXx said...
just so you know, this is my 3rd favorite novel in the whole wide world!!!! my first favorite is ec+wm=4never & my 2nd favorite is ec-am=heartbreak lol :)

SoftballismylifeBobo5 said...
books dont make me cry... this one did

softballfreak42 said...

OMG that was such a sad ending!

I loved the whole read! The only thing I sort of had a problem with is that in the first 10 or so chapters of the story, the parents seemed a bit too agreeable... but nothing so outrageous...

GREAT JOB!!!!! =D

ellyn-bo-bellyn said...

So I know I only commented on like one chapter of this book... but I read all of it. In about two days. 

Wow..... This was really amazing!

Great plot and theme and all that stuff they teach you in English class. 

Everything flowed right and I loved every minute of it. 

I nearly cried... more than once... but I'm at school and I didn't fell like explaining why I was crying so I held it in. You are a beautiful writer. I can't wait to read more of your ... (more »)

TeamJacobArchuleta replied...
thank you so much! i'm really glad that you liked it :)

MangoZombie said...
Sept. 18, 2010 at 5:16 am
Sob Sob Sob... This is a great story. Made me want to cry. T^T

AislinnKnight said...
Sept. 12, 2010 at 4:31 am
This story was amazing! It was very sad. I felt everything that she felt, you are a brilliant writer.