The Friendship | Teen Ink

The Friendship

By kcrowe BRONZE, Centreville, Alabama
kcrowe BRONZE, Centreville, Alabama

"I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." -Philippians 4:13

(A few months ago, Grace’s mother passed away as a result of cancer. Grace and Hason have always been best friends, although Hason has recently decided that he loves Grace. After her mother’s death, Grace has become extremely distant towards Hason.)
(Grace and Hason get off the school bus at Grace’s house and head to the backyard to hang out for the afternoon.)
GRACE: Man, what a day we had today.
HASON: Oh I know…are you okay Grace?
GRACE: Umm…yeah. Why wouldn’t I be?
HASON: I don’t know. You’ve just been really distant lately.
(The two of them sit in the old wooden swings in her backyard.)
GRACE: I’m not trying to be distant, Hason. I just really miss my mom and I don’t know how to cope with her death…
HASON: Well you could start off by not shutting me out. Grace, I’m your best friend. I’m the one that you should always be comfortable talking to about your feelings. You know I would never judge you or make fun of you because of how you feel.
GRACE: I know you’re always there, Hason, but that doesn’t stop me from missing my mom. You know?
HASON: Yeah, I understand. I think it would help if you would talk about your feelings though. I won’t even offer any advice if you don’t want me to. I’ll just listen.
GRACE: Do you think that would really help?
HASON: I honestly believe that it would. You can’t go the rest of your life not talking about your mom’s death and not talking about how you feel because of it.
GRACE: I guess you’re right. You really don’t mind just listening?
HASON: Of course I don’t mind just listening; that’s what friends are for. (Says in a longing manner because he wants so much more out of their relationship.)
GRACE: That’d be awesome, Hason. Thank you for always being there for me…it means more than you’ll ever know.
HASON: No problem, Grace.
(The two of them move from the swings to the large oak tree across the yard. They sit under it and Hason begins to listen to Grace express her feelings.)
GRACE: It’s just so hard knowing that I’ll never see my mom again. I cry myself to sleep every night because I know that she won’t be here to help me get ready for our senior prom; she won’t be here to see me graduate from high school or college; she won’t be there the day I get married; she won’t be able to rock my children to sleep. She’ll never get to do a lot of things that most mothers get to do. (begins to cry)
(Hason leans over and consoles Grace.)
HASON: But your mom will see all those things, Grace. You see she’s in Heaven right now and she is always going to be looking down on you. Think of her as your guardian angel. She’s always by your side, just not physically.
GRACE: I want her to be there physically though. I want her to hug me when I go to sleep and brush my hair out for me. I want her to give me a high five when I make an “A” on a test.
HASON: Your dad would be glad to do those things for you and so would I. Grace, all I’m saying is that you can’t shut out everyone else that you love just because you lost a loved one. Let us be there for you and let us help you through this hard time in your life.
GRACE: Will you forgive me for how I’ve acted towards you?
HASON: Of course I will forgive you; I was never mad anyway. I was just concerned because I didn’t know how you were feeling and what was going through your head.
GRACE: You’re the best, Hason.
HASON: And so are you, Grace. There’s something I ought to tell you though…
GRACE: Anything. You can tell me anything.
HASON: I love you, Grace. (says meaningfully)
GRACE: Well I love you too, Hason.
HASON: No, I mean I really and truly love you. I’ve realized that you’re the person God has intended me to be with. I can’t live without you, Grace. I’m in love with you.
GRACE: Wow. I was not expecting that.
HASON: Maybe I shouldn’t have said anything. Maybe my timing was off.
GRACE: No, Hason. That’s not what I mean. You see I’m in love with you too. I’ve loved you for a long time now. I just didn’t want to ruin our friendship by saying anything; you mean too much to me.
HASON: God has great things in store for both of us. I want to be right there by your side when we discover those things.
GRACE: Oh me too, Hason. I’ve always felt like there was a piece of me missing. Maybe this is the missing puzzle piece that I’ve been looking for.
HASON: I believe that it is, Grace. I can’t wait to see what God has in store for us…I know it’s going to be amazing.
GRACE: That’s so true. I can’t wait either.
HASON: I hate to go, but I promised my mom that I would help her cook dinner tonight. Maybe you can come over later?
GRACE: I’d love to. I’ll ask my dad when he gets home from work and then I’ll call you and let you know. Okay?
HASON: That sounds perfect.
GRACE: Okay. Bye, Hason.
HASON: (pauses for a second) Bye, Grace. I love you.
GRACE: (looks surprised) I love you too, Hason.
(Hason exits and heads home to help his mom. Grace stays under the big oak tree and reflects what has just happened.)

Through my play excerpt, I hope that those who have lost loved ones will find hope and will realize that shutting others out is not a very wise way to cope with their feelings.