Maturity is Key | Teen Ink

Maturity is Key

February 15, 2010
By thewritingmichi SILVER, Sunnyvale, California
thewritingmichi SILVER, Sunnyvale, California
8 articles 0 photos 5 comments

The night was still on Byney Drive. All the people in the street had gone to sleep with their lights flickering off. One house light was on however in a little white and pink residence. Inside the house, its three occupants were watching late night TV. The girl in the middle, who didn’t look much older than seventeen, was the most awake out of the three, glowering at the TV. The man to her left, Billy, was nearly drifting off to sleep. The woman on the girl’s left, Shirley, was already asleep with her head in the arm of the chair. When the show got to its commercial, the kitchen phone started ringing loudly. Seeing as she was the only one awake enough to move, the girl went into the kitchen to pick up the phone.
“Hello?”
“Hello, is this Murielle Lee speaking?”
“Yes it is.” Murielle paused before continuing causing Billy to drowsily glance over. “Is-is there anything wrong?”
“This is a very grave matter, Miss Lee. I’m sorry to say that your parents are in the hospital because of a car crash.”
“What are you saying?”
“I believe that it is best if you came to the hospital as soon as possible. I’m sorry and good night.” The lady promptly hung up.
“Hello? Hello!” Murielle persistently screamed at the phone. Miserably, Murielle managed to place the phone in the receiver. She trudged back to a now awake Billy.
“Billy…” She weakly started.
“I heard the whole conversation. Go wake up Shirley. I’ll get my car.”
“Thank you, Billy.”

Billy nodded before going outside to his car. Murielle turned to wake up Shirley. She shook Shirley roughly to rouse her.
“Shirley, Shirley, please get up!” Shirley stirred and slightly opened her eyes.
“What’s the matter?”
Murielle hesitated. “My parents, they’re in the hospital.”
Shirley’s eyes snapped open as she jolted awake. “Oh my goodness! We have to go right away!” She wobbly moved off the couch. Murielle went to support her.
“Billy is outside with his car. Please come with me.”

Shirley hurriedly stumbled out the door with Murielle following her locking the door. Both ladies hastily entered the car and put their seatbelts on. Billy started the car entering into the driveway before speeding towards the hospital.
Billy kept his eyes on the road before him. “Which hospital, Murielle?”
“Oak Grove Hospital.” The voice shakily responded.
Billy stepped on the pedal causing the tires to squeak as they were being adjusted.

Murielle had her eyes to the carpet of the car tightly clutching Shirley’s hands as tears threatened to fall. Shirley was hunched over Murielle like a shield protecting Murielle from all the sadness in the world. The rest of the drive towards Oak Grove Hospital was filled with soft cries of suppressed sadness.

When they finally arrived at the hospital, Murielle was no longer had despair written on her face. Instead, she held a composed neutral face in its place. The three walked in through the automatic sliding doors calmly as if they were taking a stroll in the park. Murielle recited her name to the receptionist as she searched the computer for Murielle’s parents.
“They are in Room 105.” She briskly informed. Murielle was about to thank her when she saw the receptionist’s eyes shift over to Billy and Shirley.
“They’re with me.”

The receptionist who now was checking Billy out gave a wide smile as they hurried away from the strange receptionist. They approached a blonde nurse standing outside the room with a somber look on her face. She turned to face the trio as they ran towards her.
“Miss Lee, I assume?” Murielle nodded her head slowly in reply.
“I’m afraid only Miss Lee can go in.” the nurse informed the other two. “Relatives only.”
“I see.” Billy responded as he nodded towards Murielle to go inside.

Once Murielle was inside, Billy and Shirley slumped in the chairs carefully placed outside the room. Billy glanced around and noticed the blond nurse checking him out. He raised an eyebrow but didn’t comment. He was far too tired to even bother responding. Slowly his eyes drooped to sleep shortly after Shirley did.

The author's comments:
Yay for more stories!