Too late for True Love | Teen Ink

Too late for True Love

February 1, 2010
By SMiCHEllEB* BRONZE, Dennison, Ohio
SMiCHEllEB* BRONZE, Dennison, Ohio
2 articles 0 photos 4 comments

"Love is a complicating thing," I thought to myself. If you have it, you take it for granted. if you don't have it, you will go to the end of the earth looking for it. Some people spend their wholes li ves looking for that one person and here I am stuck in traffic on sixth avenue attempting to arrive at St. Peter's catholic church at 11 AM to get my true love back. Why was I so obstinate? Before I could come up with a reply to my tedious quiestion my thoughts were interuppted by a deafening boom coming from the car behind me. I looked up. the golden traffic light was beaming emerald green. Finally, we're moving. I looked ou tmy window to take in the surroundings I've grown accustomed to.Hundreds of people from all over the world are crowded on the sidewalks. It's one of the perks of living here in New York City, no single day is ever equivalent to the next. As i get closer to the church, I notice the Tribeca Park Deli. A million memories begin to flood my mind. Tribeca park deli is where I first met Michael. As i come to an abrupt stop at the next golden traffic light which was now gleaming crimson red. I close my eyes and let myself relive the past. Michael and I ran into each other outside of that deli four years ago, literally. he was late for a meeting and I was late for a date with a man at work. I was rushing and not paying attention to where I was going. There was so much on my mind: work, bills, me recent break up....and suddenly everything went black. when I woke up a strange, yet ridiculously handsome man was standing over me."Her eyes are open" he bellowed. the crowd began to disperse. I felt his muscular arms pulling me off of the ground. After apologizing 50 times and asking if I was okay a hundred more times, he asked my to have lunch with him at the deli. I know it sounds so cliche, but the sparks flew and it was true love at first sight. Michael was humorous and charming. He was intelligent and good-looking. He was my very own Prince Charming. And following that day, everything unfolded like a fairy tale. well almost everything. As traffic finally started sauntering along I felt tears form in my eyes. Determnined not to spear my makeup I tried to force the horrendous recollection out of my thoughts. But it won't vanish so I give up and let the painful memory replay in my head. It was summertime and Michael asked me to meet him at a fancy restaraunt for dinner. Afterwards we went for a stroll in Central Park. the night air was warm and the stars glistened in the charcoal sky. however, this was a rare occurence considering we were in NYC. Mostly, the night is a blur and I remember very few details. Michael got down on one knee, and asked for my hang in marriage. I got scared and I declined. We continued to datefor 3 months after that, bt at somepoint we realized it was over. Now here I am, a year later parkedoutside of the church that Michael is supposed to get married in today. I take a few deep breaths and then step out of my ivory toyota camry. I get a rush of adrenaline and I scramble up the churches stairs. I fumble around and get lost twice before I find the room that Michael should be in. I stand outside the mahogany door and think to myself, all that is standing between me and true love, is this door. I nervously push the door open and find michael standing in his tuxedo. He is shocked to see me. I ramble on about how I made a huge mistake by saying no. Michael looks and me and says "I'm sorry Olivia, but you are too late." with tears flowing down my cheeks I leave the church. Nobody even tries to stop me.


The author's comments:
--i had to write this for english class. our topic was "Describe a time you might be late for something and explain why". I liked the story and decided to post it!