Pretty Eyes- Chapter 1 | Teen Ink

Pretty Eyes- Chapter 1

February 1, 2010
By torridromance GOLD, Staten Island, New York
torridromance GOLD, Staten Island, New York
12 articles 1 photo 26 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Define normal." ~Eragon


“BRRRIINNGGG BRRRIIINNNGGG!!” The bell rang loudly and everyone shuffled to get out of their seat and to the next class. I picked up my binder and my jacket, both worn with use, and headed out of math to English, which happened to be down five flights of stairs. “God I hate this school...” I thought to myself. I let the crowds flow around me as I waited for my friend Valerie. We both had class in the basement, so it worked out. Val came out of the classroom red-faced. “Hey Val! What’s up?”

“Ugh, I hate him!” I instantly knew who “him” was. It was Mitchell, the most evil boy in this entire school. He lived solely to make fun of us and make us mad. We both hated him with a passion.

“I know what you mean. At least you don’t have to sit right in front of him all class. He sticks stuff to the back of my chair because he is so immature.” How could Nicole like him? Nicole was one of my friends. We had known each other since first grade.

“Well, when I was getting my books, he tripped me! My books spilled everywhere! Then he called ME a klutz. God, I hate this boy...” Val rambled.

“He is so evil.” I agreed. “Oh, hey Nicole. Your ‘boyfriend’ is being really nasty today. Really, I don’t get why you still like him.”

“It’s nice to see you too Alexa. I just do! I can’t help it, he’s really cute!”

“Ugh.” I stuck my finger in my mouth and pretended to puke so she could see how repulsed I was at the thought of that idiot. “See you later love. I gotta get to Palmevi’s class.” Mr. Palmevi is my English teacher. He is so boring, and he brags about going to Yale all the time. He does dress well though.

“Eww, have fun with that.” Nicole said. “See you later.” I turned to go down the stairs and was face to chest with the horror known as Mitchell.

“Watch where you’re going, freak.” he said. I glared up at his clear green-blue eyes. They were the only nice thing about him.

“I would, but you are standing in front of me, so I can’t see where I’m going, loser.” I retorted. He smirked at me and I deftly stepped aside so we could both walk. “Why does he have to be EVERYWHERE?!” I complained to Valerie, who had been quiet during the little exchange.

“Alexa, you probably already knew I was going to say this... but I think he likes you.”
I did not already know she was going to say that. “Are you sure Val? I might have to kill him if he comes anywhere near me with those pretty eyes of his.” I personally wouldn’t know why anyone would like me. Valerie is a Pilipino beauty, with dark hair that I perfect and messy at the same time. She has a beautiful complexion too. Nicole has naturally curly hair, and just enough freckles to add a little cuteness to her face. She is short too, and guys like that. My best friend Marissa is like a model, tall and lithe. She has beautiful red hair. I, on the other hand, am not any of these things. I am 5’4”, size 12, with short dirty blond hair. My eyes are a muddy gray-brown. The only thing I really like is that I have 20/20 vision. That is good because I want to be a pilot one day. “How could anyone like me, least of all him?” I thought with a shudder. I was just going to have to find out for sure.


The author's comments:
The first in a four part short story. I hope you like it. :-)