The Prom | Teen Ink

The Prom

By Kirstielea BRONZE, Fonda, New York
Kirstielea BRONZE, Fonda, New York

Something is better than nothing

It was a sunny day in Los Angeles, California. It is a Sunday and Kristen, Justin, Ashley, James, and Selena were at the beach. They have been friends since 1st grade. They were talking about school and the prom that is going to be next week.
“I have no idea what I’m going to wear to the prom,” Kristen said. “I want to wear the white dress with the sparkles, but I also want the silk blue one.”
“I think the white one would look better on you.” Selena suggested.
“What do you think Ashley, which one should I wear?” Kristen asked.
“I think you should wear whatever dress you want to wear.” Ashley answers.
Kristen thought to herself I wonder what outfit Justin is going to wear.
“We still have to look for some outfits, we haven’t even started looking” Justin says to James.
“Yeah I know and some dates.” Then James does a weird laugh.
After about half an hour they start packing up and start leaving.

The next day at school Ashley found a rose with a note attached to it in her locker. The note read will you go to the prom with me from Lucas. Lucas was a boy who was in Ashley’s math class. Later that day in math class Lucas wouldn’t stop staring at Ashley, and then when the bell rang he walked right up to her and asked if she wanted to go with him, she said that she wouldn’t go with him. After school was over Ashley, Kristen, and Selena walked home together. Justin and James stayed after school to get help with their English homework.

“What would you guys think if Justin asked me to go to the prom with him?” Selena asked.
“How do you know if he is going to even ask you?” Kristen replied. Kristen has had a crush on Justin since the 2nd grade and Selena has had a crush on Justin since last year.
“I don’t know, but you guys know that I like him.”Selena said. Kristen thought to herself well so do I. Kristen has never told anyone.
“Guys there’s something I need to tell you,” Kristen said.
“What?” Ashley and Selena replied.
“I’ve liked Justin since the 2nd grade, I’ve never told you guys because I think I was just scared to tell you.” Kristen implied.
“Oh my god” Ashley and Selena said.
“Well this is weird” Selena said. It was a quiet walk for the rest of the walk.

Justin and James just got out from staying after school. They are walking home together.
“I think I’m going to ask Kristen to the prom” James said.
“Yeah” Justin says in a down voice because he like Kristen but has never told anyone either.
“What’s the matter?”James asked.
“I like Kristen” Justin mumbled.
“Really! Oh my gosh, umm this is really awkward.” James said.
“Yeah” Justin said.
The next day James asked Ashley if she wanted to go to the prom with him and she said yes. “So I heard you’re going to the prom with Ashley” Justin said.
“Yeah I am, I didn’t want to kill our friendship, so I let you ask Kristen.”James said.
“Thanks a lot, see this is why we’re best friends” Justin said.
Later that day at lunch Selena ignored Kristen and didn’t sit with her. Then a few minutes later Justin came up to Kristen and asked her if she wanted to go to the prom and she said yes.
After school Selena told Ashley that she was staying after school and to just walk home with Kristen. Selena really wasn’t staying after school she went a different way home. All week Selena has avoided Kristen. Then when Friday came it was the day of the prom and Selena came with Lucas, the boy from Ashley’s math class.
Then a slow song came on.
“Justin, Selena has a crush on you and she has been avoiding me all week. So could you dance with her?” Kristen asked.
“Sure, and will she be happy again?” Justin asked.
“I hope so, I want to be friends again and have everything back to normal” Kristen said.
“Alright I’ll be back.” Justin walks over to Selena,
“Can I interrupt and have this dance?” Justin asked Selena.
“Sure. Lucas I’ll be right back” Selena replied. They walk to a different part of the dance floor and start to dance. Selena looks over at Kristen, Kristen is sitting down watching them dance, she smiles at Selena and Selena smiles back. When the song was over Selena and Justin walk over to where Kristen was sitting.
“Thank you so much Kristen” Selena gives Kristen a hug.
“No problem, I wanted you to be happy again and no more getting mad at me, ok?” Kristen said.
“I won’t. I missed talking to you anyway. You’re the best friend I could ever ask for.” Selena said. By the end of the night everything was back to normal everyone was friends again. Now Selena still has a crush on Justin, Ashley and James are dating and Kristen and Justin are dating.
“It’s great to have everything back to the way it was.”Kristen said to everyone on the way to school on Monday.