Summer Romance Goes Wrong. | Teen Ink

Summer Romance Goes Wrong.

By rachhhaaael BRONZE, Fort Hunter, New York
rachhhaaael BRONZE, Fort Hunter, New York

Florida. All the new people I am going to meet, the extraordinary adventures. My name is Alana and my hometown from is in a small place in Arizona. My best friend’s name is Megan. I hope she can come to Florida with me. That’d be the best time. I was talking to her about it, and she was saying how she wants to meet a cute boy to go out with, when she has a boyfriend already! That’s what gets me upset. She annoys me a lot sometimes. I guess she wants to bring her friend Ashley from school with her though. I never said that Ashley could come. Ashley bugs me in school because she always tries to take away most of my friends from me Megan supposedly thinks that I and Ashley would get along great and we would all have the best time…

The next day I was getting ready for school when I got a text from my mother while she was at work telling me that she had discussed bringing along Megan and Ashley and they both agreed that it would be fine as long as they can pay for themselves! I was so happy…Well for Megan being able to come, not so much Ashley. I wasn’t just going to tell Megan that I don’t want Ashley to come… Maybe we could get along after all. Today was the last day of school, so that means that tomorrow we are leaving for the airport early in the morning.

After a long day of school I came home. Tomorrow morning we leave for the airport at 6AM. Ashley and Megan are there waiting for us to arrive.

The plane is prepared to take off. We all got on it… And then we all see this boy. He and I made eye contact, and he smiled at me! I got to sit in the seat in front of him with Megan. While the plane is taking off he started talking to me! He asked me what my name was and where I was going. I told him Alana and that I was going to Florida. Apparently he’s going too! Even to the same hotel! All of a sudden Megan interrupted us; she started flirting with him… I got so mad, well the good thing is that I got his number.

A few hours later we arrive to Florida! We wandered around a bit. Later that day, we arrived at the hotel. Ashley saw Jake and Ryan, the boys we seen on the plane. She had her eyes on Ryan. That’s good though because Jake’s all mine. We all wanted to hang out on the beach together. Jake was so checking me out! But Megan was just trying to take him away from me. Like I said, she has a boyfriend and that’s what irritates me about her! She’s such a flirt!

The boys had rented out a boat they wanted to take far out in the ocean. It seemed like a nice idea. We all went with them later that day. The breeze was nice and the smell of the salt water filled me with warmth. The sun was glowing, and it was just so pretty. I don’t know why, but all day I’ve had a feeling that something bad was going to happen, it was scaring me. But everything was going perfectly fine that evening though… Sometimes that stuff happens to me, it’s weird. We got out into the middle of the ocean, we couldn’t see the shore. It was beautiful. The water was calm and warm. We decided just to take a quick swim around the area of the boat. Ryan had brought along a football with him, so we ended up tossing that to each other in the water. And all of a sudden we all heard a loud scream. Megan was drowning and the water was filling up with dark red blood.

“Ohhhhhhh NOOOOO!” “HELP!” screamed Jake as he was going to get the football far out in the deep water.

I was speechless; my eyes were filling up with tears. I was about to pass out myself. I was thinking of if I should go to save her or not, but I was too scared. It’s too late now. It was a shark… quite a big one too. I rushed to get out of the water as I am gasping for air while being distressed. I saw Ashley about 5 feet away from us. I screamed her name and told her to get onto the boat as fast as she could. Jake and Ryan went to go try to save Meg. The shark had gone away, but she was missing a leg. They grabbed her body and brought her onto the boat. They were struggling with her. While sitting there crying and in shock we were trying to get to shore as fast as we could. We called the emergency boat on the radio though because Megan stopped breathing… And it would take too long to get back. I’ve never been so unsettled in my life. Fifteen minutes later, the boat arrived. They took Megan away and left to bring her to the hospital. We just left, to go back to our room. We were still crying, and then all of a sudden we got a phone call… I just lost my best friend.

on Feb. 5 2010 at 6:02 am
Rosalie PLATINUM, Maryville, Tennessee

-you have many to learn but nothing to lose.
-the hardest thing to do is watch the one you love, love someone else...
-good girls are bad girls that dont get caught.

this is so sad!

keep up the good work!