An Alternate Love Song | Teen Ink

An Alternate Love Song

January 21, 2010
By HarlinSW GOLD, ELkhart, Texas
HarlinSW GOLD, ELkhart, Texas
10 articles 0 photos 4 comments

Favorite Quote:
We come to love not by finding a perfect person, but by learning to see an imperfect person perfectly


Hello, my name is John. If you are reading this then I am sure you are familiar with my father, Ace, and mother, Samantha. I had heard their story had been written down precisely, though the author of this love song is still unknown, I would like to thank this individual. Many kids are told about how their parents met, but my parents meeting was immortalized in a wonderful story.
This, however, is not about my gratitude to the author. There is still more to the love song. A song, no matter how wonderful, must always end. But to properly show you the end, we must start at the beginning. The beginning of a new family.
During the time when my parents married, as it remains today, relationships didn't often last. An infamous joke emerged because of this, " the leading cause of divorce, is marriage". Now I'm not saying my parents had it easy, just as their parents did, they started a family without...how shall we say it...sufficient funds.
"Honey would you please come in here I need your help, did you write a check for a hundred and eighty dollars?" Ace exclaimed at his newly wed bride, Samantha, who was taking her sweet time in the bathroom.
"Yes, for food, your parents are coming over this weekend and you know your dad likes to barbeque! Now just give me a minute!" Ace could hear the tension in her voice and he decided not to push his luck.
After a few minutes Sam emerged from the bathroom, her hair a mess, she looked distraught yet had a glow of pride and joy,
"Ace, we have to cut back our expenses for a while."
"Baby there isn't a lot more we can cut we are already down to the bare minimums. Why would we need to anyway?" He felt like something may be wrong, she usually explained things then made requests, and this seemed less like a request...and more like a demand.

"Baby...is exactly right." A faint smile curled at the edges of her lips.

"You don't mean? It couldn't...Can it? Are you?...Really Sam?!" An outsider looking in and not knowing what was going on would think my father was a bumbling idiot. This was not the case.

This young man had just been told that in nine months time, he would be a proud father.

At this time I would like the reader to imagine, if you would, that this story is actually a film and that you will be fast forwarding through bits. Nothing would please me more than to describe to you nine grueling months of pregnancy but I have neither the adequate time or scratch paper.
Nine months later a new character emerged into the love song, myself. I as my parents had been, was destined to be intertwined with the ocean. After my birth my parents didn't take me home, they took me to the beach. A section that, to this day, holds a dear place in my heart. I would love to tell you that the love song continues on for many years after that. I would love to, but can not. On my parents anniversary, shortly before my third birthday, the love song ended tragically. After dinner at a five star restaurant Dad had been saving up to take mom to, they were robbed, at gunpoint, of not only their valuables but of their lives.

The love song thus far is said to inspire emotions to young people reading it, that it just sounded so real. Well, it was real a true story written by an unknown author. Some things were suspected pf the author though, the attention to detail, accuracy of events. It was believed the author was either a close observer or someone involved. This became more clear when the last chapter was never published.

I believe, the author was none other than Ace Knight, my father, the architect behind a wonderful story, a loving father, a caring husband, and based on his love song, a genius composer.

-John Knight


The author's comments:
Though it bears the Love Song name I decided to leave this out of the main series due to its depressing nature.