A Night to Forget | Teen Ink

A Night to Forget

By JDeChant SILVER, Spring Valley, California
JDeChant SILVER, Spring Valley, California

"This has never happened before since the last time it happened" -Kevin Bradley

It was a cool summer night, the most beautiful night of the year. The moon and the stars shone so brightly, they gave the impression of being in the heavens. A soft pounding of the ocean’s waves could be heard in the distance. A better night could not have been chosen to fall in love.
Why did love choose me on that night?
It was just after midnight, and the ball had just begun. The entire party was pulled straight from a fairy tale; the windows were twenty feet tall with red curtains, there were crème-colored walls and marble flooring. It smelled of sweet cakes and expensive perfumes. Servants were running around carrying hors d’oeuvres and wine.
Why did I believe in fairy tales on that night?
I didn’t belong at that party. I was only invited because the host pitied my family, I wish at time I had not been invited, I would have been much better off. I felt as though I had been tossed into a hell. There was not a single face I recognized and I was contemplating whether to stay or to go, but then I saw her.
Why did my eyes betray me on that night?
She was in angel amongst the chaos. She wore a plain white dress, but she was the most stunning woman in the room. Long, blonde and goddess-like hair adorned her head. She was tall and slender with the most beautiful eye brows. Perfectly sculpted by the hands of expert artist, her eyebrows gave her a penetrating look, second to none. This goddess had the eyes of every man in the room on her.
Why didn’t she notice me on that night?
I didn’t know what to do. The most beautiful woman in existence stood only twenty feet away and I, a poor man at a rich man’s party, had no chance with her. I began to sweat and my jacket stuck to me. I felt the need to scratch myself in a million different places. I could not stop moving. I had never felt that way before. I felt as if I would go crazy if I didn’t talk to her.
Why did I feel like that on that night?
I stood up and began to approach her.
What would I have done on that night?
I walked closer.
What would I have said on that night?
I walked even closer. My stomach was churning and I had the urge to vomit.
What would she have said on that night?
I turned around and walked away. I walked straight out the door away from the red curtains, the crème-colored walls, the marble floors, and the hors d’oeuvres. I walked away from the goddess.
Why didn’t I talk to her that night?
I walked away from the moon and the stars. I walked away from the beach. I walked as far as I could. I wanted to forget that party. I wanted to forget her. I wanted to forget my short-comings. I wanted to forget the night I regret the most in my life.

Why do I remember that night?

its_me GOLD said...
its_me GOLD, San Mateo, California
very poetic, i like it. would you mind giving me feedback on some of my stories? i'd really appreciate it!

caves94 said...
maybe you made the right choice that night