Pocket Note | Teen Ink

Pocket Note

December 2, 2009
By jessica Stoltz BRONZE, North Tonawanda, New York
jessica Stoltz BRONZE, North Tonawanda, New York
2 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Pocket Note


It never leaves my pocket. 15 years later and I still won’t let go. I can’t let go. I remember it like it wasn’t too long ago. The day I woke up and my life was over. I never thought that day would come that I would wake up to find a note on the table, and never to see my Kelly again.
“I’m sorry. I have to leave now. This is the only way. I cannot begin to think of the pain you might be in. But it’s far better than what the future holds for me. You can keep my things, I won’t need them. I am very sorry once again.












I will miss you dearly.
















I love you.


















Kelly”

I didn’t really understand. Why did she leave me? What had I done to make her leave? To this day I still can’t put the pieces together. I have tried to hire private investigators to find her but they never can. Or they just have and didn’t tell me that that I would keep paying them.

I know that this is wrong but, I hope she hasn’t fallen in love with someone else. It is cruel and selfish for me to even think that but my heart just would be able to take it, if I finally found the love of my life, and she was in the arms of someone else.

I read the note everyday, not that I need to. I have read it for the last 15 years. I know every stroke on the paper. Her beautiful handwriting…I remember I used to tell her all the time that she had the most beautiful handwriting I had ever seen. Kelly would just giggle, the little giggle that could make a heart stop.

After all my other attempts had failed I decided that I would try to find her myself-one last time. When I first tried to find her I actually found her number. But when I tried to call it there was no answer, and when I tried to call back again the next day it said that the number had been disconnected. It breaks my heart to think that the one I love with all my heart is running away from me.


After months of favors from friends and family, and long hours of searching, I finally found her! I’m not sure what I am going to do or say, but today is the day. The day I have been looking forward to for the last 15 years. The day I will see Kelly again.


The address on my paper reads…








1456 Sunshine Boulevard







Los Angeles California, 90046
….after traveling 6 hours to get there I am going to make sure I at least get to see her.


When I finally got onto Sunshine Boulevard I was very confused. There was no houses’. It wasn’t even remotely close to a neighborhood. Only big buildings and businesses. When I arrived at the address, the sign read…




Los Angeles Emergency Room, Specialized Doctors



I wasn’t really sure what I was going to do. I walked up to the front desk and the lady was very pretty. She had long curly shiny red hair, pale skin, and green eyes.





“May I help you sir?” The attractive nurse asked me.
“Yes, I’m sorry to bother you but could I please have the room number of Kelly Ortiz?”







“Yes one moment please” she politely answered.
As she looked up her name in the system, I wondered…why was Kelly in the hospital?





“Sir Kelly Ortiz is in room 236 in wing C.” She said.











“Thank you” I said



As I walk away I slowly turned around and walked back and asked…







“Excuse me, why exactly is Kelly in here?”




She looked back at the computer and looked up at me slowly.







“I’m sorry sir, she has cancer in her brain.”










“Oh…thanks...” I gloomily said back.

As I started to try to find her room, I couldn’t believe it. Why wouldn’t Kelly tell me? I hope everything is alright.

I finally found her room after being lost 2 other times. As I stand outside room 236 I couldn’t believe it. I actually found her, and she is on the other side of the door. I hope she doesn’t mind that I came to see her.


I turn the handle and slowly open the door. I hear the television on so I hope she is awake. As I walked further into the room she looked my way. Her whole body froze. She looked pretty much the same. Amazing blue eyes, perfect smile, the only thing that is different is that she looked older and her long curly brown hair was no longer there. Before we even said a word a tear started to roll down her face.








“Hello Jason…” Kelly Slowly said.




“What happened to you Kel?” I said as my eyes started to fill with tears “This is the reason I left…I didn’t want me being like this to hurt you…” she said slowly
“I wouldn’t of wanted you to go through it alone…Are you alone? Or have you met someone else…?”
I asked this question and I dreaded what the answer was going to be but I was also very anxious to find out.


She didn’t answer for a couple seconds, and she started to cry more as she said, “no there is no one else. No one else is like you.”

We started to talk and catch up on memories and talk about the old time he had and how much fun we used to have together and how much we had missed each other. I realized I couldn’t let her go twice in my life.

I got down on one knee and proposed to her. It was only my college ring for now because I didn’t think I would be proposing when I found her. But someday soon I will buy her a real engagement ring. Kelly did accept my proposal!

The next day I had to go back to work so I had to leave. I promised her that I would be back before her brain surgery on the next Monday. We said our goodbyes and I gave her a kiss. They are even better than I remembered then. Oh how much I have missed her.

While I was at the airport waiting to board the plane to go see Kelly, there was a big lightening storm so my flight was delayed for 2 hours. By the time I had finally gotten to L.A. and had gotten to the hospital, I ran as fast as I could up to her room. Only to find that she wasn’t in there.

The doctor came in and told me the news. Kelly hadn’t made it through the surgery. I sat on the chair in the room and started to cry. I didn’t move from that chair for 13 hours. I couldn’t. I didn’t want to.

When I finally had the strength to move, I kissed the note she had wrote me 15 years ago, and set it on the bed. As I walked out of the room I whispered…










“I love you…”