The Quest | Teen Ink

The Quest

By Olivia Hartman BRONZE, Smithville, Missouri
Olivia Hartman BRONZE, Smithville, Missouri

Have you ever wanted to get to the end of the rainbow, and find the pot of gold? Well I went to the end of the rainbow, but I didn’t find a pot of gold. I found something else. Something much better.

I woke up one Saturday morning. I looked out my window to find my window blurry, and it was pouring down rain. “My day isn’t going to go well.” I mumbled to myself. I rolled out of bed, and put on my fuzzy pink robe and fuzzy pink slippers that matched my robe. I went downstairs and smelled the best smell. It smelled like baking bread and fried bacon. My breakfast was waiting for me on the table. I sat down and let out a big sigh. My mom asked me what was wrong and I said nothing, just that the day wasn’t starting off too well.

After I got done eating the delicious breakfast, I went back to my room to take a shower. Once I got out of the shower I got dressed and made my hair curly. I came back downstairs and went into the living room. My brother was there watching TV, so I joined him. I sat there and got out my phone to see if I had any texts or missed calls. I had 5 texts. None from who I wanted it to be from. My head dropped and my heart felt empty. I didn’t text any of them back. I just sat there and watched TV trying to think of a good reason to text him. I couldn’t find a good enough reason, so I closed my phone and sat it by my side. My brother looked over at me and asked me what was wrong with me. I said that I was fine, just didn’t sleep well.

About an hour or two passed and I was still sitting in the living room on the couch watching TV, and waiting for my phone to go off. My mom yelled at me telling me that I should go do something instead of sitting there all day. I told her that I will after the show is over. My brother wasn’t watching TV with me anymore. His friend had called, and he went over to his friends house to play. I could call one of my friends to see if they wanted to do something, but I just wanted to be alone. My phone went off and I reached for it fast. I opened it up too see who the text was from. It wasn’t from him, it was my friend Liz. She asked me if I wanted to go to the mall and go shopping. I replied back to her and told her no, and that I was busy right now, but maybe later. She said “Ok.” My phone went off again and it was from a blocked number. The message told me to go to the end of the rainbow, and what I have been looking for would be there. I shut my phone, and rolled my eyes.

My show ended and I look outside. It stopped raining and the sun was trying to come out. I looked in the distance and saw a bright rainbow. I thought to myself about going and finding the end of the rainbow. I knew that it wasn’t true about the pot of gold or finding the end of the rainbow, but I still wanted to see what was at the end. I told my mom that I was going over to a friend’s house, so she wouldn’t think I was crazy about searching for the end of the rainbow. I told my mom and went and got in my car. I drove down the street and out of my neighborhood. I looked around to find the rainbow, and it was down the street. I drove about 10 miles till I had to stop. It was the wood trails. I parked my car and got out. I read the sign and it said only open during the week. It was the weekend. I stood there and thought if I should go or not. I decide to go in.

I walked through the woods on the trails. It was still somewhat damp outside. It smelled fresh like the outdoors and trees. I loved that smell. It was so refreshing and calming. I looked up at the sky and saw the rainbow. The end just looked a little bit ahead of me. I keep walking. I should have brought water I thought to myself. I walked for about 15 minutes till I rested for awhile. “When am I going to get there?” I say to myself. I kept walking a little longer. I looked up again and saw the rainbow even closer. Almost there, I saw the end of it. I walked out into a big field up on the hill. The rainbow just vanishes. I didn’t see it anymore. I looked around for something, a clue, or something why I could’ve gotten told to come up here for. I saw nothing; it was just me and a bunch of grass all around me. My head dropped again in disappointment. I decide to turn back around and walk back down to my car. When I turned around I saw him. The guy that I had been waiting around for, and the texts that I have waited for. He was now standing right in front of me. This was what I’ve been looking for, and why I had gotten that text to go to the end of the rainbow. There wasn’t a pot of gold there, but what was at the end of the rainbow meant so much more.

This story is for girls that have had broken hearts and are always waiting around for something good to happen.