The note

John winked at me as I passed by him in the hall. He has a girlfriend. I have a boyfriend. We both like each other. The reason I got a boyfriend is partly because I was jealous of John. The reason I said yes to Zach was because I didn’t want John to think I spent my free time dreaming about him. Which I do. I didn’t want him to think I was lonely and I longed for his touch. My friends all had boyfriends. I was the only one who didn’t. The only girl practically in our whole school that didn’t. Then, one day, while I was day dreaming in class again, a note was thrown at me. No one ever notices me, so I was surprised. I secretly hoped it was from John. I could picture what the letter would say:

Sara, please go out with me. I have realized you are the one I want. You are the one I love. Please, will you be my girlfriend?

But, the letter just said

Meet me outside in the field after school.

The class was over and soon the school day was too. After school I opened my locker and another note fell out.

Your eyes are so beautiful. Your smile is so warm. Please meet me in the field.

I couldn’t believe it. He liked me; he thought my eyes were beautiful! I was glowing and happy. But, I mean John had a girlfriend. Why was he doing this? I thought he loved her, well, I thought he loved me too. I grabbed my binders and my math book and headed to the field my admirer (which I think is John) had asked me to. I dropped my backpack and sat down in the field. I looked around for John but I could not see him. I had not noticed before how tired I was. My eyes slowly shut and I woke up to a soothing voice saying, “Wake up, Sara.” I felt the warmth of his hands around my face and the soft breathing coming from him. I was awake but my eyes were still closed. I slowly inhaled and smelled the crisp fresh air.

“Sara, come on…”

Suddenly, I felt as though someone had pushed me underwater, so I could not breath. I couldn’t remember how to breathe for that matter. Because I knew who was holding me. Who was comforting me. And it was NOT John.

I opened my eyes drowsily and saw the boy looking down at me. It was Zach.

“What are you doing here?” I screeched angrily.

“What are you talking about? I am the one who told you to come here.”

“You are?”

“Yes. I have something to ask you.”

I knew what he was going to ask me. “What?”

“Will you go out with me?”
I knew it; I had tried to avoid this moment since forever. He had liked me since I was 12 and now I was 16. But something was different about him when I looked up. He had changed. Zach was not the one I wanted but I would make John jealous. I would show him he was not the one and only guy I liked. Well, he was, but I couldn’t show him that.

“I’m waiting for an answer... Sara...”
I had completely forgotten about Zach.

“Yes, of course.” I said.

“Great. I’ll see you at 7:00.”

“Where?”

“I’ll walk by your house and come get you.” He walked away so I could not say no OR argue. He still has feelings, he is still a guy, and so in a way I HAD to be nice to him.

At 6:30 I put on my gorgeous black dress and my hoop earrings.

6:40 – I slipped into my silver flats and brushed out my hair

6:50 – I put on my makeup, which complimented my baby blue eyes

6:55 – I made sure everything was done and I made my descent down the stairs

7:00 – Zach showed up right on the dot and took my hand. I smiled and waved goodbye to my parents. They closed the door and Zach whispered into my ear, “Thanks for coming.”

“It will be fun,” I mumbled, not so sure it would be. We walked down a narrow path. The path was covered in ivy and vines; I could barely see it. Zach reassured me that we were almost out. After a while, I could see the end of it. The moon was out and it shone down on us. I had to get out. The trees swallowed me up in their darkness. I kept my eyes on the path. Zach stopped abruptly. He pulled me close to him. I was so close it was like I could hear his heart beat. He leaned in towards me and I panicked seeing the passionate look in his eyes. He breathed upon my face and I felt my cheeks turn a flaming red. He moved forward and brushed the hair out from my eyes….

kmarie17 said...
oh my gosh! I LOVE THIS! as soon as i press post coment i am gonna go see if u have a part two by now! :) i luuuv this! plz check out my work! <3

EmmaXoxo<3 replied...
thankssss so much!!!!!!! <3 I can't wait to see your work!!!! 

gymbabe This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Jun. 13, 2010 at 10:17 am
Awesome!  Write more please!  And will you check out my work?

EmmaXoxo<3 replied...
Thank you sooo much and yeah I will deff. check out your work too... Thanks again. ;)

Melinda L. said...
Please write more!!! You are the first person on Teen Ink that I am willing to get down on my knees and beg them to write more. Please, I need to know what happens! (lol, I'm going crazy)

EmmaXoxo<3 replied...
Jan. 3, 2010 at 8:16 am
Lol, don't worry, I have already sent the second part in, it should be posted pretty soon, I think.
By the way, thanks so much!
<3

yourworstnightmare replied...
your welcome and thank you. <3

EmmaXoxo<3 replied...
no problem
<3

EmmaXoxo<3 said...
Dec. 31, 2009 at 9:24 am
Hey thanks to everyone who commented. Its because of you guys that I keep writing! So thanks so much! ;)

Annaxoxo said...
good job em! keep it up!!!!

EmmaXoxo<3 replied...
Dec. 31, 2009 at 9:25 am
Thanks Ansie!!!!
luv ya
<3

krazyc1901 said...
Dec. 30, 2009 at 1:29 am
good! Very very good!

socrprncss12 said...
Dec. 29, 2009 at 12:12 am
uh...its so suspensful.keep it going cause i want sara and john together lol but its ur story

adorabiblegirl said...
lol it's kinda funny it reminds me of a story i read on another website

forgottendream said...
OMG. THIS IS SO GOOD!!!!! More plz! :D