One Wish | Teen Ink

One Wish

By prety BRONZE, Snohomish, Washington
prety BRONZE, Snohomish, Washington

Wednesday morning. It was raining hard and I did not want to get out from under my blankets. School did not sound so inviting, the only reason I wanted to go was to find out if I was nominated for Prom Queen. As usual, when I got to school, my friend Kate met me by my locker.

“Vanessa, guess what I just found out?” said Kate.

What?” I asked unenthusiastically.

“You are nominated for Prom Queen,” Kate said excitedly, “and we still don’t have a dress for you!” Kate has been at school before me.

“Did they announce the nominates already?”

“Yes, you missed it all. Also, the principle announced that whoever wants to be a little mysterious could wear a mask.”
I was so excited that I couldn’t think straight. Me? For Prom Queen? There were a lot of questions that were unanswered but I had no time to think. I need a new dress. Last years, won’t do.

After school, I stopped at my house only to grab some money. Kate and I were going to go shopping for prom. Three and a half hours have passed and I finally found the perfect princess dress. It was a cream color, strapless, and the skirt was scrunched, my favorite. The dress looked gorgeous; it made my brown hair and toned skin color stand out. The only thing that was missing was a date. No one has asked me to go and I really wanted Chad to ask me. There were only 3 days left before the prom. Will he ask me to go with him?
Kate insisted on getting a whole make over on Friday night and I was up for it. We went to the salon and I got a full manicure and pedicure, a nice relaxing massage, and a facial steam. Kate chattered about the prom and how I’m going to win the crown. All I thought about was how I can be a princess that night and no one has to know who I am. I was planning to wear a mask to make myself unrecognizable. I don’t want people to look at me for what I am, I want them to see the real me. It’s going to be my fairytale night.

On Saturday, Kate came over to help me do my hair. I was going to curl it and pin half of it in the back.
I took out my dad’s convertible to the prom. No limo for us because Kate and I didn’t have enough money to afford one. The prom was at the Sheraton Seattle Hotel. It looked very elegant inside with the big fancy chandeliers. The girls were dressed up in their best dresses and the guys wore tux. As I was dancing the night away, I got the courage to go up to Chad. He didn’t recognize me under all the makeup and the mask I was wearing.
We danced for a couple of the songs and then he invited me to step outside. As we walked in the gardens, Chad asked me a lot of questions. I guess he wanted to know who I am. I couldn’t tell him. What if he finds out and will never want to speak to me ever again. I didn’t want to risk it. As we walked to the gazebo, I felt my phone vibrate. I ignored it, but then it vibrated again. I started to think it was something serious so I excused myself to answer it. My mother was on the other end, she seemed really worried.
“Vanessa, sweetheart, I know you’re at prom right now, but can you please come to the hospital? Your dad has been seriously injured.” As my mom was talking, I felt my stomach flip a million times. Could my dad really be seriously hurt? How am I going to tell Chad that I need to leave now? I had to tell Chad that I can’t stay any longer, my dad was in trouble and my mom is worried sick. They both need me right now.
“Chad, I would love to stay but I have to go. Family emergency.” My voice was shaking as I was telling him how much fun I had and that I was sorry that it has to end this way…
“It’s ok. Go get everything straightened out, but how will I know how to find you know? I don’t know your name or anything?” Chad said looking deep into my eyes as though he can read my name in them, “When you’re ready to tell me who you are, tell me that you were my princess from prom night.”
I left without saying a word. How will I ever tell him who I really am? I looked at the time, it’s not midnight yet. What if I win Prom Queen? No, I had to get to the hospital.

My dad was not injured to bad, just a head injury. He would stay at the hospital for a couple more days and then he would be able to come home. As I was walking to school the next day, I thought about what Chad told me. I was ready to tell him who I really am. While I crossed the street to school, an old grandma asked me if I could help her with her bags. I decided it would be kind of me to help. When we got to the other street, the grandma told me to make a wish. I thought she was a little crazy, so I wished her a good day.
When I got to school, there was an assembly held for the Prom Queen. This was unusual, so I got my hopes up. What if I won?

“Sadly, our Prom Queen had vanished last night. Vanessa, are you here?” announced the principal.

I got up from my seat and walked to stage, shocked. I won! Kate was shouting in the crowd. As I was crowned Prom Queen, I got all the confidence to come up to Chad and tell him that I was the princess from prom. In the hallway, I came up to him.

“Chad, I just wanted to tell you that I was the princess from last night.” I said nervously.

“You? You‘ve got to be joking. The girl I was with last night was absolutely gorgeous. Don’t get me wrong, your e beautiful too, but she was stunning.”

I walked away not saying a word. Shocked and disappointed. The rest of the day went by fast and in a blur. As I was walking home, the grandma that I helped cross the street was there, again. I walked up to her and asked her if I could still make a wish. She granted me one wish.

“I wish people would see me for who I really am.” I wished with my eyes closed. When I opened them, the grandma was gone. Strange, I wonder if she was even real.
The next day at school, Chad came up to me.

“Vanessa, I’m sorry. I really didn’t mean to tell you what I told you yesterday. You are gorgeous in your own ways. I was just shocked that you were the princess from prom night. If you will forgive me, I would like to ask you out.” Chad looked at me with eyes full of hope.

Eventually I forgave him and now we are together. I thanked the grandma that granted me the wish. If I told somebody what happened, they would think I’m crazy, but fairytales do come true.

biddycakes said...
biddycakes, Charlotte, North Carolina
this sounds like a book i read about two years ago about a girl who made a wish and i like how you put in the cinderella story with it