Friday Night Lights | Teen Ink

Friday Night Lights

November 5, 2009
By luckigrl11 BRONZE, Somewhere, Ohio
luckigrl11 BRONZE, Somewhere, Ohio
3 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Life's not about waiting for the storm to pass, its about learning to dance in the rain."


Out of the corner of my eye I saw him. I was too afraid to turn and look, he seemed to perfect and too amazing to have picked me. At the pit of my heart was a caldron brewing with feelings. I was nervous, anxious, excited, and some feelings I couldn’t describe. Finally, he spotted me and made his way to my group. He was cold I could tell, and his tall body shivered with chills. My smile became wider the more steps he took. He followed my group to the metal bleachers, making jokes along the way and greeting everyone that passed like the big shot he was.

Sitting down next to him I was suddenly not cold anymore. He shook his dirty blonde hair out of his eyes and began small talk. The wind whipped at my back and I tugged at my hood strings to calm my nerves. He seemed so flawless, the way everyone adored him, and the way he spoke casually with no hint of hesitation or stutter. “I want to go sit somewhere else,” he said gesturing me to come with. I waved to my friends who laid on each other casually in love.

The football team was actually winning as we glided through the crowd and the wind seemed to stop. He held out his shaky hands and told me they were cold. Without remembering how it happened he grabbed for my hand. Warm to the touch, and to my heart I wanted nothing else in that moment. I laughed and told him I’d never done this before and he just smiled. People that never talked to me said hi as we strutted past hand in hand. I looked up at his thoughtful blue eyes and he looked into mine. I was his and he was mine and that’s all I wanted. People respected me more and confidence overwhelmed me.

“I’m thirsty,” he said taking my hand again and buying a hot chocolate. “Do you want some?” he said holding out the steaming cup.

“No thank you,” I said shaking my head.

“Okay,” he laughed and led me back to the bleachers.

We returned to my friends who were still leaning on each other in the night, without a care in the world. “You know,” he said with a smile, “I’m going to need a hug.”

“After the game,” I joked teasingly.

The rest of the night consisted of more hand holding, long stares, and talk of homecoming. I wouldn’t have wanted to be anywhere else and all the worry I had before I came faded.

“Bye,” I said hugging him tight.

“You don’t have to go,” he said quietly, not letting me go.

“Yeah I do,” I laughed. I grabbed my friend and said bye to her boyfriend too and began the walk home. The night was dark and clear, with stars illuminating the sky. Once, far enough away we shared our nights and sang out loud, not caring who heard. All I could think of was the butterflies and sparks that flew under those Friday night lights. J