The Most Wonderful Time of Year | Teen Ink

The Most Wonderful Time of Year

By Skylar Noetzel BRONZE, Redding, California
Skylar Noetzel BRONZE, Redding, California

Standing in the elevator with my best friend and co-worker, Aaron, heading up to the office where we worked, I thought about the bunch of mistletoe that would be hanging somewhere. There is some hanging around every year but today I couldn't seem to bring myself to care. I am not usually a cranky person during the holidays, but this year I was in a funk. Somewhere in the back of my mind I knew that this Christmas wouldn't be as fun as the past years. As the elevator doors opened, I stepped into the office and took in all of the creativity and decorations, which just made me feel worse. As we walked toward our desks, I continued to listen to Aaron's enchanting accent. He was the only person in the office who I knew was cooperative all the time with everyone, which is probably the reason we all kept our jobs. Suddenly, an office door opened, revealing one of the most annoying people I have ever met, Jack Wilson. Jack's eyes widened, taking in the tinsel, the wreaths, and the ornaments, and finally landing above our heads. Gleefully he shouted, "Mistletoe!" causing everyone's head to turn in our direction. A few of our friends standing close by giggled and chuckled, saying things about "how it was tradition," and "we had no choice ." In resignation, I looked into Aaron's wide brown eyes and saw his silent agreement that it was our responsibility to kiss because we were the idiots who stopped under the mistletoe. Our coworkers were astounded by the revelation that we were actually going to kiss and the looks on their faces were priceless. At the last second, Aaron turned his head and ended up kissing my cheek, leaving everyone shocked except for me. Leaning in next to my ear, Aaron whispered quietly, "See you later, Ace." Maybe this Christmas wouldn't be so bad after all.

I always loved Christmas time and when my English teacher told us to write a story about the holidays, it inspired this.