Raindrops

I slam the door shut, breathing as heavily as though I’ve just run a mile. My heart is pounding so furiously I fear it will burst, my eyes blink furiously, keeping tears at bay, and my hands are trembling. I can feel it pulsing through me.
It is raging, fighting to get out of me; I don’t know what to do or where to go. I can hide it from everyone, but when I am alone, it catches up to me, tormenting and exhilarating me. The raindrops pound on the windows and lightning flashes, while thunder resounds inside my heart.
I throw myself onto the bed, ignoring the wind which has sprung up, inside and outside. It catches me, lifts me up, whips my hair around. I clap my hands over my ears in agony, trying not to give in to the longing that is so potent; I can almost taste it on my tongue. It nudges me tantalizingly, dancing just out of reach, and I clench my eyes shut in an effort to resist. But I can’t let it go, no matter how hard, how desperately I try—it won’t let me. Its grip on me is so tight, my breathing becomes shallow and I feel light-headed. Resistance is futile.
I leap from the bed, go to the glass doors, throw them open, and run out into the pouring rain. Within seconds, I am soaked, chilled to the bone, but flying, my bare feet hardly touching the ground and my long hair streaming out behind me. My feet carry me to a place I know well, a place I have gone to since I was very small. No one is outside in the rainy twilight, but I keep running, my heart pounding and my legs burning, not stopping even when I reach the woods.
It’s pulling me with a force stronger than a magnet, on and on, until at last, I reach the bridge and skid to a halt, mud spattering my clothes. The creek is swollen, and the freezing water splashes my feet. My heart is in my throat—I take baby steps onto the bridge, gasping for breath, water running down my face, shivering in the cold, my eyes fixed upon the figure waiting there.
He’s here—just as wet, just as cold, but here, smiling as I run to him and he enfolds me in his arms. It is then that my first sob escapes me. I know this can never be. But I am calm; a cloud of bliss surrounds me as we stand there on the bridge, arms around each other, for a long time, keeping the cold at bay while the falling raindrops glint like diamonds around us.

Kat4ever333 said...
Wow the ending is so not what i expected but I liked reading it there was a great build up.

Pianoartist said...
This was a really good idea considering the fact it was different then what most people write and it was very imaginative and metaphorical. It really draws the reader in and captivates them. The only critisism I have is it maybe could be polished up just a tiny bit :) otherwise wonderful job :)

kairi.kaylyn said...
I loved it! It was beautifully awesome!

Goddess said...
thats pretty good

amanda1997 said...
reminded me of a book.... Katnis and Gale perhaps? Love it though! =)

Aduke9 replied...
Jun. 26, 2012 at 4:14 pm :
It does sound like Katniss and Gale! OMG!

Jappyalldayeveryday said...
I want there to be a backstory, it's too incomplete

HollerGirl26 said...
Really, really good job :) I could feel the current...the magnet pulling me as well. Congratulations <3! PLEASE check out my work, mayhaps? Keep writing!!!!!

havingfunwriting said...
this is so good! i like how it doesnt tell why shes in that mess. it leaves space for the reader to imagine. keep it up!

Macx14 said...
Jul. 20, 2010 at 8:44 am:
That's so beautiful, you're very talented! You should definitely make it into a novel and build a really good story around it. Great:D

necnec said...
Jun. 28, 2010 at 8:46 pm:

congratulations, that was beautiful, so descriptive.

It was vague yet detailed, you have amazing talent

hazeleyes replied...
Jul. 2, 2010 at 3:02 pm :
Thank you!! :)

Luvr_ Books said...
Jun. 28, 2010 at 4:42 pm:
u are a beautiful writer. I love it you should make this story into a book. seriously im not joking. I love it when i read it its like im actually there, and it is amazing.  love it! Can you please make this into a book? I would be very happy if i was in borders and I saw this book! PLEASE WITH CHERRIES ON TOP! (AND IF YOU DONT LIKE CHERRIES) PLEASE WITH SOMETHING YOU LIKE A LOT ON TOP! :)

hazeleyes replied...
Jul. 2, 2010 at 3:02 pm :
Hahaha!! Thank you, I'm very glad you like it! :) I honestly wasn't really thinking of expanding it into a novel; I think it's just something I threw out when I was feeling really upset. But I'll think about it :)

TheColorRose This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
May 15, 2010 at 7:46 pm:
incredible:) the simplicity makes it all the better. and i liked the way you described the river as "swollen." keep writing:)

Shannon_Bananon said...
So descriptive. I was practically shivering as you described her flight, and suspensful atmosphere kept me on the edge. Beautiful!

writergirl13 said...
i could feel the emotion so well!!! this is truly unique!

writergirl13 replied...
Apr. 1, 2010 at 4:44 pm :
Oh, and please look at some of my work, especially Fantasy of Many, Reality of Few, that's also a romance piece. :)

hazeleyes replied...
Apr. 4, 2010 at 2:17 pm :
Thank you!! I'll be sure to take a look at it :)

Rosalie said...
Mar. 10, 2010 at 3:52 am:
this is beautiful..