He Doesn't Even Notice Me, or Does He?

By , East Haddam, CT
He doesn't even notice me. I mean, he does, but it's just a glance while he's scanning the surrounding area for a friend he’s been talking to. A girl friend, possibly soon to become his girlfriend.
On the first day of school I walked into my third class, wishing for the day to be over. The stress was too much, although it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be.
I was one of the first in the room, so I took a seat at the far end of the room. Once the room was full, I realized I was surrounded by strangers. Lower classmen I didn't even know. My second day in that class I took a seat on the other side of the room with students my age.
That's when I noticed him. He was so cute and when he smiled, my heart skipped a beat. Butterflies flapped their wings, trying to escape my stomach. I wanted to talk to him, but didn't know how. So instead of making conversation I asked for help.
“Um...Do you know how to do this? I’m so confused,” I started off, with a little laugh. I hoped he couldn’t hear the nervousness.
“Yeah,” he said and went on to explain what we had to do.
“Thanks,” I said quietly.
Everyday was the same. Almost. He sometimes asked me for help. I loved when he did that because I loved to hear his voice. I pretended not to like him too much. And I didn’t want to show him how desperate I was to have a friend in that class.
One day, a few weeks into class, he moved seats. He moved one seat over so there was one between us. I could have sat next to him, but I chose to sit in my normal seat. Is that what he wanted? To no longer have to talk to me? I wasn’t the prettiest girl, but he could have just stopped talking to me. It wasn’t like I had talked to him everyday and flirted. I had barely talked to him at all!
It went on like that for a few more classes, until one day he moved back. He talked to me first this time.
“Hey. Can you help me with this?”
I was angry with him so I just said, “Sorry. I don’t know how to do it. Ask the teacher.” I leaned on my arm, facing away from him. Yes, it was childish, and yes, it made my heart ache to do it. But somewhere inside of me, I felt it was the right thing to do.
Those gut instincts proved right, when the next class he sat next to me with a bright, lovely smile. “Hey. What’s up?”
“Nothing,” I said. “What’s up with you?”
We went on like that, making small talk. Finally, what I had been hoping and wishing for came true. At the end of class, he stopped me by grabbing my arm and letting everybody else out.
“I have a question.” He seemed a bit nervous. It made me nervous also.
“Yeah?”
“Um...” he cleared his throat. “I like you and I want to get to know you better. Will you go out with me this Friday?”
I couldn’t even speak. But the look on his face showed me that he was more nervous than I. “Sure.”
His smile lit up his face. I gave him my number, thinking, Maybe he did notice me after all, and walked out of the room composed, while inside I was jumping for joy.

Rachel_Beth said...
Dec. 25, 2009 at 10:59 am:
hehe i loved how you said the wings of the butterflies were flapping trying to escape!....so cute!! ;) ..as a girl i totally know exactly how you feel! this was sweet and genuine!! For sure write more ;)

The Reader! said...
That was good. You should write what comes next.

Randy replied...
Dec. 25, 2009 at 7:58 pm :
Theres going to be a part 2 soon. I just submitted it. Hope it's as good as this one

TheReader! replied...
Mar. 11, 2010 at 10:54 pm :
What is it called because you summited it anonymously, so...

SunshineGirl#15 said...
I'm glad you gave the story a happy ending. It's very beautiful.
Next year I'm going to a new school, fingers crossed mabey it happens to me
Lol, ; )

writingrox said...
This is so much like me right now! I need help to overcome this though because it's becoming an obsession. Any advice you can give to me? He's a great friend of mine and I don't want to mess up the friendship. Help!

Randy replied...
Nov. 26, 2009 at 7:39 pm :
Honestly, I'm not sure how it would turn out. Sometimes its perfect, sometimes its not. Go with what your heart says. I know that sounds so cheesy. Lol. What I'm trying to say is take a risk if thats what your heart is telling you to do. You never know, you may fall in love.

SaM:) said...
I think almost every girl in the world can relate to a story somewhat like this. And I've had the problem too and honestly if they don't notice you, they either aren't worth your time or they aren't too smart and don't realize you are flirting. keep up the writing, you're a natural :)

JordanNicole said...
I really like this. I can definately relate, except I haven't had the happy ending yet... I wish it would come soon though cause I'm in love with my friend and I'm afraid if I tell him; he will get freaked out and pull away from the friendship. I'm trying to hold it in for as long as I can, but I think it might spill out soon....

Randy replied...
Nov. 5, 2009 at 7:00 pm :
yah i no sum1 who went out with his best friend and wen they broke up they didn't really talk again. they were really close 2

JordanNicole replied...
Nov. 8, 2009 at 12:25 pm :
that's how ray and i are...i did tell him and he said that no matter what it wouldn't change our friendship. :)

Randy replied...
Dec. 3, 2009 at 6:14 pm :
=] thats a great man you've got there.

JordanNicole replied...
Dec. 6, 2009 at 12:10 pm :
Thanks. He really is a great guy!!! :)

Westie_candies2012 said...
Oct. 19, 2009 at 10:26 am:
This is so sweet. I can totally relate to everything.

himu said...
Oct. 14, 2009 at 9:36 am:
um..its really well written
i love d way she refused to be taken advantage of..!!

Randy replied...
Oct. 14, 2009 at 9:57 am :
lol thanks.

HarryPotterFan09 said...
Oct. 11, 2009 at 7:07 am:
That was really really good, and almost like how I feel about this one guy. Seriously, it was amazing!

Randy replied...
Oct. 14, 2009 at 9:55 am :
thank you so much =)

Sugar&Spice said...
That was so cute! Keep writing!

pndze said...
Wow! That was so amazing! I really liked it! Keep up the great work!