He Doesn't Even Notice Me, or Does He?

By , East Haddam, CT
He doesn't even notice me. I mean, he does, but it's just a glance while he's scanning the surrounding area for a friend he’s been talking to. A girl friend, possibly soon to become his girlfriend.
On the first day of school I walked into my third class, wishing for the day to be over. The stress was too much, although it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be.
I was one of the first in the room, so I took a seat at the far end of the room. Once the room was full, I realized I was surrounded by strangers. Lower classmen I didn't even know. My second day in that class I took a seat on the other side of the room with students my age.
That's when I noticed him. He was so cute and when he smiled, my heart skipped a beat. Butterflies flapped their wings, trying to escape my stomach. I wanted to talk to him, but didn't know how. So instead of making conversation I asked for help.
“Um...Do you know how to do this? I’m so confused,” I started off, with a little laugh. I hoped he couldn’t hear the nervousness.
“Yeah,” he said and went on to explain what we had to do.
“Thanks,” I said quietly.
Everyday was the same. Almost. He sometimes asked me for help. I loved when he did that because I loved to hear his voice. I pretended not to like him too much. And I didn’t want to show him how desperate I was to have a friend in that class.
One day, a few weeks into class, he moved seats. He moved one seat over so there was one between us. I could have sat next to him, but I chose to sit in my normal seat. Is that what he wanted? To no longer have to talk to me? I wasn’t the prettiest girl, but he could have just stopped talking to me. It wasn’t like I had talked to him everyday and flirted. I had barely talked to him at all!
It went on like that for a few more classes, until one day he moved back. He talked to me first this time.
“Hey. Can you help me with this?”
I was angry with him so I just said, “Sorry. I don’t know how to do it. Ask the teacher.” I leaned on my arm, facing away from him. Yes, it was childish, and yes, it made my heart ache to do it. But somewhere inside of me, I felt it was the right thing to do.
Those gut instincts proved right, when the next class he sat next to me with a bright, lovely smile. “Hey. What’s up?”
“Nothing,” I said. “What’s up with you?”
We went on like that, making small talk. Finally, what I had been hoping and wishing for came true. At the end of class, he stopped me by grabbing my arm and letting everybody else out.
“I have a question.” He seemed a bit nervous. It made me nervous also.
“Yeah?”
“Um...” he cleared his throat. “I like you and I want to get to know you better. Will you go out with me this Friday?”
I couldn’t even speak. But the look on his face showed me that he was more nervous than I. “Sure.”
His smile lit up his face. I gave him my number, thinking, Maybe he did notice me after all, and walked out of the room composed, while inside I was jumping for joy.

purpleink said...
Normally I don't like love stories, but this one I do. I can relate to it in a way. Awesome story!

Airidella replied...
Good story.

Maia B. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Love it! Good job :)

SlyStickers1.5 said...
Sept. 2, 2011 at 10:28 am
I Like Love Stories, I Always Wanna Make Them But I Feel Like They Are All Old News.. So If Anyone Could Give Me Some Posative Reimforcment I Would Be Very Happy! I Love This Story And It Gave Me Inspiration To Write My Own. First Story On Teen Ink Coming Soon! <(O.O)> 

Hermione700 said...
hey great story!! :) i'm sorry that your own reality story didn't turn out the same. and great use of vocabulary btw!

fizza This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Jun. 28, 2011 at 2:32 am
a bit incomplete but excellent.

Little2Feet said...
Aw :) This happened to me this past year, too! I wish it'd had a good ending like this, though...haha, oh well :) This was really cute!

VikaForever replied...
Aggredd.. and also yu knw any other good storiies related 2 this one?

misswindsor said...
Jun. 6, 2011 at 10:25 am
Omg! This same thing happens to me like everyday, but I don't know what kind of ending i'm going to have...but I hope I get the happy ending in your story. :)

Zipp said...
Love this story, it's so sweet!

Erica M. said...
I absolutely love how you told the story!!!  It's so CUTE!!!

ilovewriting95 This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Great job! I loved your story, especially the happy ending.

myriamjonaslover said...

few months ago, I ould've said that this is the most amazing story Ive ever read, but I realized that such things didn't exist, or they did to other ppl. so yeah...

You have amazing writing skills, and your story truly is amazing, I just feel too cold to say more. good job, keep up the good work.

sweetpill said...
I love this, it's so romantic..I wish my life could be like this:)

BrittneyKidd said...
Apr. 1, 2011 at 7:41 am
that is soo cute i love it!!!!!!!!

Loann.Mai said...
cute!!!! 

nascar48jj said...
super cute!! this happened to me too, but I'm still waiting for the happy ending.

AlphaBravo said...
I love this!

alice said...
Jan. 3, 2011 at 10:59 am
AhHhHhH thats so adorable theres this boy thats in my class that i like but i dont really know if he  notices me. comes to find out he does like me! <3 =)! when i heard that some of my friends told me he was going to ask me out on the day we get back from our school break and i had butterflies in my stomach but i was really happy to know that i would be putting my heart in the right hands!

Beachgirl1 replied...

awwwww! did he ask you!?

(i loved this story too!)

xBaByGiRrL22x said...
Dec. 12, 2010 at 8:41 am
soooo cuutee( :