He Doesn't Even Notice Me, or Does He?

By , East Haddam, CT
He doesn't even notice me. I mean, he does, but it's just a glance while he's scanning the surrounding area for a friend he’s been talking to. A girl friend, possibly soon to become his girlfriend.
On the first day of school I walked into my third class, wishing for the day to be over. The stress was too much, although it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be.
I was one of the first in the room, so I took a seat at the far end of the room. Once the room was full, I realized I was surrounded by strangers. Lower classmen I didn't even know. My second day in that class I took a seat on the other side of the room with students my age.
That's when I noticed him. He was so cute and when he smiled, my heart skipped a beat. Butterflies flapped their wings, trying to escape my stomach. I wanted to talk to him, but didn't know how. So instead of making conversation I asked for help.
“Um...Do you know how to do this? I’m so confused,” I started off, with a little laugh. I hoped he couldn’t hear the nervousness.
“Yeah,” he said and went on to explain what we had to do.
“Thanks,” I said quietly.
Everyday was the same. Almost. He sometimes asked me for help. I loved when he did that because I loved to hear his voice. I pretended not to like him too much. And I didn’t want to show him how desperate I was to have a friend in that class.
One day, a few weeks into class, he moved seats. He moved one seat over so there was one between us. I could have sat next to him, but I chose to sit in my normal seat. Is that what he wanted? To no longer have to talk to me? I wasn’t the prettiest girl, but he could have just stopped talking to me. It wasn’t like I had talked to him everyday and flirted. I had barely talked to him at all!
It went on like that for a few more classes, until one day he moved back. He talked to me first this time.
“Hey. Can you help me with this?”
I was angry with him so I just said, “Sorry. I don’t know how to do it. Ask the teacher.” I leaned on my arm, facing away from him. Yes, it was childish, and yes, it made my heart ache to do it. But somewhere inside of me, I felt it was the right thing to do.
Those gut instincts proved right, when the next class he sat next to me with a bright, lovely smile. “Hey. What’s up?”
“Nothing,” I said. “What’s up with you?”
We went on like that, making small talk. Finally, what I had been hoping and wishing for came true. At the end of class, he stopped me by grabbing my arm and letting everybody else out.
“I have a question.” He seemed a bit nervous. It made me nervous also.
“Yeah?”
“Um...” he cleared his throat. “I like you and I want to get to know you better. Will you go out with me this Friday?”
I couldn’t even speak. But the look on his face showed me that he was more nervous than I. “Sure.”
His smile lit up his face. I gave him my number, thinking, Maybe he did notice me after all, and walked out of the room composed, while inside I was jumping for joy.

purpleink said...
Normally I don't like love stories, but this one I do. I can relate to it in a way. Awesome story!

Airidella replied...
Feb. 3, 2012 at 4:55 pm :
Good story.

Maia B. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Love it! Good job :)

SlyStickers1.5 said...
Sept. 2, 2011 at 10:28 am:
I Like Love Stories, I Always Wanna Make Them But I Feel Like They Are All Old News.. So If Anyone Could Give Me Some Posative Reimforcment I Would Be Very Happy! I Love This Story And It Gave Me Inspiration To Write My Own. First Story On Teen Ink Coming Soon! <(O.O)> 

Hermione700 said...
hey great story!! :) i'm sorry that your own reality story didn't turn out the same. and great use of vocabulary btw!

fizza said...
Jun. 28, 2011 at 2:32 am:
a bit incomplete but excellent.

Little2Feet said...
Jun. 6, 2011 at 3:31 pm:
Aw :) This happened to me this past year, too! I wish it'd had a good ending like this, though...haha, oh well :) This was really cute!

VikaForever replied...
Jul. 21, 2011 at 11:20 pm :
Aggredd.. and also yu knw any other good storiies related 2 this one?

misswindsor said...
Jun. 6, 2011 at 10:25 am:
Omg! This same thing happens to me like everyday, but I don't know what kind of ending i'm going to have...but I hope I get the happy ending in your story. :)

Zipp said...
May 15, 2011 at 6:10 pm:
Love this story, it's so sweet!

Erica M. This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
May 15, 2011 at 5:43 pm:
I absolutely love how you told the story!!!  It's so CUTE!!!

ilovewriting95 This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Great job! I loved your story, especially the happy ending.

myriamjonaslover said...

few months ago, I ould've said that this is the most amazing story Ive ever read, but I realized that such things didn't exist, or they did to other ppl. so yeah...

You have amazing writing skills, and your story truly is amazing, I just feel too cold to say more. good job, keep up the good work.

sweetpill said...
I love this, it's so romantic..I wish my life could be like this:)

BrittneyKidd said...
Apr. 1, 2011 at 7:41 am:
that is soo cute i love it!!!!!!!!

Loann.Mai said...
Mar. 10, 2011 at 10:22 pm:
cute!!!! 

nascar48jj said...
super cute!! this happened to me too, but I'm still waiting for the happy ending.

AlphaBravo said...
I love this!

alice said...
Jan. 3, 2011 at 10:59 am:
AhHhHhH thats so adorable theres this boy thats in my class that i like but i dont really know if he  notices me. comes to find out he does like me! <3 =)! when i heard that some of my friends told me he was going to ask me out on the day we get back from our school break and i had butterflies in my stomach but i was really happy to know that i would be putting my heart in the right hands!

Beachgirl1 replied...
Mar. 10, 2011 at 9:49 pm :

awwwww! did he ask you!?

(i loved this story too!)

xBaByGiRrL22x said...
Dec. 12, 2010 at 8:41 am:
soooo cuutee( :