He Doesn't Even Notice Me, or Does He?

By , East Haddam, CT
He doesn't even notice me. I mean, he does, but it's just a glance while he's scanning the surrounding area for a friend he’s been talking to. A girl friend, possibly soon to become his girlfriend.
On the first day of school I walked into my third class, wishing for the day to be over. The stress was too much, although it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be.
I was one of the first in the room, so I took a seat at the far end of the room. Once the room was full, I realized I was surrounded by strangers. Lower classmen I didn't even know. My second day in that class I took a seat on the other side of the room with students my age.
That's when I noticed him. He was so cute and when he smiled, my heart skipped a beat. Butterflies flapped their wings, trying to escape my stomach. I wanted to talk to him, but didn't know how. So instead of making conversation I asked for help.
“Um...Do you know how to do this? I’m so confused,” I started off, with a little laugh. I hoped he couldn’t hear the nervousness.
“Yeah,” he said and went on to explain what we had to do.
“Thanks,” I said quietly.
Everyday was the same. Almost. He sometimes asked me for help. I loved when he did that because I loved to hear his voice. I pretended not to like him too much. And I didn’t want to show him how desperate I was to have a friend in that class.
One day, a few weeks into class, he moved seats. He moved one seat over so there was one between us. I could have sat next to him, but I chose to sit in my normal seat. Is that what he wanted? To no longer have to talk to me? I wasn’t the prettiest girl, but he could have just stopped talking to me. It wasn’t like I had talked to him everyday and flirted. I had barely talked to him at all!
It went on like that for a few more classes, until one day he moved back. He talked to me first this time.
“Hey. Can you help me with this?”
I was angry with him so I just said, “Sorry. I don’t know how to do it. Ask the teacher.” I leaned on my arm, facing away from him. Yes, it was childish, and yes, it made my heart ache to do it. But somewhere inside of me, I felt it was the right thing to do.
Those gut instincts proved right, when the next class he sat next to me with a bright, lovely smile. “Hey. What’s up?”
“Nothing,” I said. “What’s up with you?”
We went on like that, making small talk. Finally, what I had been hoping and wishing for came true. At the end of class, he stopped me by grabbing my arm and letting everybody else out.
“I have a question.” He seemed a bit nervous. It made me nervous also.
“Yeah?”
“Um...” he cleared his throat. “I like you and I want to get to know you better. Will you go out with me this Friday?”
I couldn’t even speak. But the look on his face showed me that he was more nervous than I. “Sure.”
His smile lit up his face. I gave him my number, thinking, Maybe he did notice me after all, and walked out of the room composed, while inside I was jumping for joy.

RaisaMiri said...
This was so cute! Haha I always freak out like the girl does when things like that happen, and that connection makes your story all the better!

JYazzmen said...
May 1, 2012 at 8:52 am
I loved this story i can so relate to it!

DifferentTeenThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Gahh! Totally adorable; I could especially relate to the part about her insecurity with the guy moving seats. I pick up little things like that and overreact all the time! Great piece, I love it!

Gahh! Toatally adorable; I could especially relate to the part about her insecurity with the guy moving seats. I pick up little things like that and overreact ll the time! Great piece, I love it!

JesusFreak3This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
That's so freaking cute!

ThatMegan said...
I love this! I can total relate too, I had a crush who I thought didn't noticed me when he really did and now I realize I blew my chance! The way you wrote it capturing every feeling and little detail is amazing! Truely outstanding work, keep writing!

Destiny2 said...
Feb. 25, 2012 at 10:50 am
so real!!! something that anyone could relate to!

Trickarrie said...
Quick, but dead on about the emotions everyone must have gone through in their lives. I loved it :D

Airidella said...
Same here. I adored it and it's something we can all relate to.

kairi.kaylynThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Feb. 3, 2012 at 10:33 am
Loved it, well written.

Gift2Rhyme said...
I like it, and the emphasis on how endings like this only happen on paper, or in the movies

Cicichildress said...
Jan. 12, 2012 at 9:49 am
Very realistic I think this has happened to us all, well maybe not the end

Dancing2222 said...
Haha cute! Made me smile:) I wish it was longer!

Brooki said...
This reminds me of my 6th hour, only i never talk to him and he knows i like him because ive told him. there is no happy ending to my story tho. But this is a good story

Goddess replied...
U did a wonderful job.

LunaIsNotHere said...
This totally reminded me about MY third hour! Similar things happen to me, almost the same situation...ha I WISH things would wind up like that in the end...

billgamesh11 said...

Awww!!! This was so cute!!! I love stories like this!!! They always make me smile :):):);) I liked everything about this story, the idea, the way you wrote it, and the happy ending :):):);)

Great Job!!! Keep Writing!!!:):):);)

maraquette.koss said...
Nov. 7, 2011 at 9:00 am
It's cute, but very cliche.  Some of the words you use make it sound a bit juvenile, but a good story.

Hobbit@Heart .. replied...

Actually, I found the simple word choice and varying in sentence length strong, as it matched the simplicity of the story.

Cute!

purpleink said...
Normally I don't like love stories, but this one I do. I can relate to it in a way. Awesome story!