That satin dress | Teen Ink

That satin dress

It was a satin dress with a flared skirt that skimmed the knees. Lavender and tight down the waist, her satin dress. I couldn’t stop myself from staring. My eyes began to water but I couldn’t close them or look away. Who was this beautiful stranger, this beautiful stranger in a satin dress, dancing across the floor? I turned to ask my friend but he wasn’t there. So I looked back at the girl. This perfect angel was the center of attention among everyone. Ignoring the stares and the whispering she just kept dancing, spinning, twirling; all alone she swirls around the room on small, delicate feet. On and on she flew, this beautiful stranger in a satin dress.
For what seemed like forever, I sat mesmerized, my mouth agape, watching her wave her hands and spin her legs as gracefully as if she had been doing it all her life. Eventually it got late and people began to leave. I could feel someone tugging on my sleeve but all I could do was stare. Soon they gave up and left. Before long I was the only one left in the gym with the chocolate skinned angel. There wasn’t any music left to dance to but that didn’t stop her.
I rose slowly not trusting my legs to hold me up. Cautiously I walked over to the beautiful girl. Sliding my hands around her waist I spun her towards me and we began dancing.

“Simon.” she whispered, her voice sounding like a song that’s never been written, full of so many secrets.
I gasped but said nothing. We glided silently around the empty room, neither of us speaking, both barely breathing. Suddenly she stopped and stepped back, avoiding my outstretched arms.
“Who are you?” I whispered, barely audible to my own ears. She just shook her head. Then turning she ran from the room.
“Wait!” I called out, “Please, don’t leave yet!”
I chased after her, my heart pounding so hard I thought it would burst through my chest. Outside I saw something twist around the corner. I followed it but when I reached the other side I saw no one. Nothing moved, and all I could hear was the wind shaking the trees. I leaned against the wall and tried to sort through the jumble of thoughts in my mind but nothing made sense. I didn’t even know the girl’s name and already I felt a deep, indescribable connection to her. Shutting my eyes, pictures of her perfect face filled my mind. This beautiful stranger, this beautiful stranger in a satin dress, was gone.

this idea came from an actual dream i had about a year ago. i decided to write it in the point of view of a boy, because i love the challenge of writing from things i dont know personally. enjoy.

on Jun. 10 2010 at 12:20 pm
starfishgurl BRONZE, Dgsdfh, Mississippi
Oh my gosh! Amazing. I loved the fact it came from a dream. The detail was great. Please keep writing. I will definitly read more of your work :)

on Mar. 20 2010 at 3:50 am
xoxoLissieM SILVER, Manila, Other

"Stop acting dumb cause your usually the smart one and I'm the dumb one!"

its awesome!!

Aundrea BRONZE said...
on Feb. 24 2010 at 9:58 am
Aundrea BRONZE, Uhrichsville, Ohio

"Silence is so freaking loud."

This is amazing, i loved it!!

on Feb. 2 2010 at 1:43 pm
sketchette15 BRONZE, La Salle, Colorado

'As our circle of knowledge grows, so does the circumference of wonder around it.' - Albert Einstein

i loved it!!!!!! it was very descriptive of the girl without even a name!! keep it up!

on Oct. 14 2009 at 5:43 pm
Lovebeingloved SILVER, Yucca Valley, California
Wow this writing is definitly one of my favorites! Great job!!

emmALEIGH! said...
on Oct. 12 2009 at 5:35 pm
awesomeee story!! wonderful!!!!! :)

on Oct. 12 2009 at 11:03 am
BlossomC BRONZE, Brooklyn, New York

A pencil and paper is the road to success.~Blossom =)

Wow. Is there a sequel?

on Oct. 10 2009 at 5:34 pm
EHunt96 PLATINUM, Swampscott, Massachusetts

"Never give up on something you can't go a day without thinking about."

That was fantastic!!!

A very creative story!

Keep up the great work!

on Oct. 10 2009 at 10:28 am
Madeline PLATINUM, Lake View Terrace, California

If you always see the positive, you'll never see the negative.

It brought tears to my eyes.

Beautiful.

on Oct. 9 2009 at 9:02 pm
SugarnSpice SILVER, Aurora, Colorado

"A woman's heart is a deep ocean of secrets."-Titanic

That was a beautiful story!