Memories This work is considered exceptional by our editorial staff.

The sound of your sneakers slapping against the pavement echoes through the street. I listened to it, committing it to memory, music to my ears. Your eyes glowed with warmth as you looked at me, and I burned the image into my brain. I want to always remember how it felt when you would gently wrap your arms around me, and the smell of the jacket that you draped over my shoulders when it was cold.
I always want to remember the day I got the flu, and then I threw up on your shoes, and I thought you would be mad, but instead you drove me home and brought me chicken soup the next day.
And the day I was trying to write you a poem, but I couldn’t get it to come out right, since there has yet to be a word invented to describe the way I felt about you...(will always feel about you.) And I had my head in my hands, and I was getting really frustrated. I didn’t hear you sneaking up behind me, nor did I notice you quietly reading over my shoulder, and I didn’t even realize you were there until you put your hand on my shoulder. And I turned around. And there were tears in your eyes. And you told me that it was beautiful, and that I was beautiful, and that you’d never want to be with anyone else.
I always want to remember the streaks of gold in your chestnut hair that glinted in the sunlight.
And the time we went to that party, but it was so loud and the people were being obnoxious so we left and went for a walk on the beach instead. The moon was so bright, and the water had a beautiful white glow to it. I’ll probably always remember that you had a nervous look on your face as you skipped a rock, and slowly turned to blurt out “I love you.” And I know I’ll always remember the way I felt when you said that, and how, when I told you I loved you too, I wondered how anyone could be this lucky.
I always want to remember the way you would bite down on your lip when you felt guilty about something.
I don’t really want to remember that fight we had last week. I told you to go away and that I never wanted to see you again, and you said that was fine with you.
Even more than that, I don’t want to remember yesterday, when you were waiting outside of my house as I got home. And I honestly don’t remember exactly what you said to me, but unfortunately I remember what it meant. I remember that you said goodbye, though. And I remember that a single tear rolled down my cheek, and your hand twitched, like you wanted to comfort me, like you used to all the other times that I cried. I remember I thought that maybe you would take it all back and tell me you were sorry and you loved me and that you would always love me. Instead, I remember you turning around and walking away.

beccalynn1663 said...
i loved this! i can really relate to it!

RomanticPhilosopher said...
Absolutely wonderful. I don't want to be critical, because the tone and emotion is what makes your writing special. Nonetheless, in the sense of constructive criticism, perhaps in the next spark of genius you have, try to incorporate more emotion and feeling according to the characters. Such as replacing: "How sad I felt" or "My heart hurt" with a slightly more dramatic, but signigicantly more emotional phrase such as: "I could feel my heart sink to the bottom of my ... (more »)

JoshuaChen said...
You need to stick to one tense. Your first sentence is in the present tense, and then you suddenly switch to the past, then eventually you're back to present, then past again... Please make up your mind. :)

KJC1211 said...
The was really sad, But I really liked it!

vazenitran98 said...
Mar. 24, 2012 at 2:15 pm:
This was exceptionally sad. I was awestrucked at the end of it. -tears-

Archangel94 said...
Jan. 28, 2012 at 4:01 am:
Wonderful story.. Keep up the good work.. Write more.. You are innovative :)

Jappyalldayeveryday said...
This is cute.

rachelwilson said...
Nov. 1, 2011 at 11:53 am:
It's like you were there. This exact short story. Datail to detail. I lived this. It is so amazing. Keep it up!

Emmmmwpcp said...
Oh gosh, so so so sad but an incedible and beautiful story at the same time.

JordanTaylor1220 said...
I really really really loved this story!!! You need to keep writing more!(: Best story i've read so far on this site! Good job!

billgamesh11 said...

WOW!!!

Sad, but beautiful! Is this a true story?

And I can definitely see why the editor's like this article!!! Keep writing!!!:):):);)

girl-of-winter-skiesThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Oh my golly phenomenal!!!! I like the way that you don't clutter the story up with names and things, and let the characters' feelings speak for themselves... keep writing!!!!

Bookworm1998 said...
Aug. 5, 2011 at 7:13 am:
oh. my. goodness. so sad, but still so amazing

rosaposaThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Jul. 14, 2011 at 11:19 am:
this was so amazing I loved it! great writing!

kkkkanabelkkkk said...
May 31, 2011 at 8:31 pm:
My heart just broke. OMG!!!!

lyric2014 said...
May 9, 2011 at 8:18 pm:

that is so amazing! i can totally realate to it too :)

Hammi said...

PLEASE WRITE MORE

p.s can you read some of my stuff

bigdreamsbigheart said...
Feb. 10, 2011 at 8:29 am:

OMG IT WAS SOO GOOD. Your very descriptive, and I like stories that describe the setting and the sound. But above all I love good love stories. :)

Please coment on mine :)

Thanks

shedevil said...
Jan. 19, 2011 at 7:47 am:
This is really cute and well written, good job! :)

QueenOfQuirky said...
Wow. This is amazing. :)