Missed Connections

“The biggest mistake is imagining life
as it is and not as it should be.”
–Man of La Mancha

It was from across the room so I wouldn’t doubt you didn’t see me. Anyway, I kept dodging your glances, hiding behind the book shelves, spreading the paperbacks apart to catch a look at your sun-blessed skin and your allusive brown eyes and how my pulse quickened and my breath was faster and I could sense you somehow knew someone was watching you but, whatever, you remained casual and calm, patiently thumbing through the collection. It wouldn’t last long. Soon, you’d find the book you were looking for, The Martian Chronicles, and you’d glance at the various editions, their prices. You’d come to your conclusion, biting your lip and, finally, you’d walked back to the front of the store. The cashier, that old b****, saw me behind the bookshelf at the desk , not doing my job, and glared at me. I returned the cow’s look but thankfully your sweet cologne wafted through the binds of Tolstoy and self-help books pinpointing my very own problem, and I felt at ease. Life was tolerable. The total came cheap, you paid it and you gathered your belongings, your purchase. You headed for the door but suddenly stopped short and my heart froze

Did you see me?

But you were just looking for your black Wayfarers, clipped to your polo. You perched them neatly atop your brown hair and you pushed open the door and disappeared into the sunlight that bleached everything a flash of white and heat–a distant memory. My heart had yet to slow and I watched you get into your mustang and rev the engine and disappear into the bright hour, forever gone, though not from my heart or mind since.

gymbabe This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Jun. 12, 2010 at 2:53 pm:

Great story, very reassuring.  I love it!  It reminds people that they aren't alone.

By the way, could someone check out my work and comment on it?  It just got published.

Rawrzchan said...
Thank you! Reading this made me feel better, I felt like well everyone was moving away from me, all my friends. And this made me feel less lonely. Connected to people.( I dont mean romantically)

MarkC said...
Oct. 6, 2009 at 10:23 am:
I guess the best way to look at it is as a missed connection ad on the actual website, to those of you who found it confusing. But thank you for all the comments and support. I've actually been writing for over 10 years now so it's nothing new - since I'm in college now, I'm simply taking it much more seriously. Thanks!

AnnieC This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Hey, I've done this so many times. I've always looked at it as a missed chance, something that I should have acted on. Thanks for showing me that it still is a connection, and that we're making them everyday. You're a fantastic writer...I didn't find a single sentence that didn't sound right to me.

Anj16 replied...
Oct. 5, 2009 at 2:53 pm :
there was a somber and old romance feeling in it and i really like it.

AnnieC This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Oct. 5, 2009 at 7:23 pm :
You're right, there was something special in it that made it quiet and vaguely romantic.

AshoIncognito said...
This is something we can all relate to, unrequited love, especially with the difference in clique/money status/blah blah blah anywho, this was really well written. I wished it would have been longer, but at the same time it was so nice and succintly well-written. You have a talent, keep going! =)

storyofmylife said...
wow!!! i loved this... outstanding job... you should totally write more...

pndze said...
That was really great. It was a little bit confusing to me, but then again, that might just be me. I really like it though. It was a good start. I really hope to read more from you!

Mahathi said...
Sept. 30, 2009 at 9:14 am:
Really well written! :)!

Char_Baby! said...
Sept. 28, 2009 at 7:33 am:
For its short length, this is actually really great. I hope to see more from you!