Visions of a Dead Girl

Everyone has a story, mine just seems to be more depressing than most, and it’s far away from starting with “Once Upon A Time”. Though, it does start a little like this.

His name was Cady, yes, strange name for a boy, but It was the last thing that mattered to me. We met through his older sister, and became instant friends, though these instant friendships usually turn out to be more than just friendships. He was the strong silent type, usually sitting in the background or just randomly cracking weird jokes when Jenna and I were bored or upset. We never really talked at first, until a week before our school’s homecoming dance. It was a big thing, and nobody could wait for it. There would be dancing, dresses, and dates, three things I actually hated. In all of my high school, and middle school, careers, I had never had a date to a school dance, until Cady. Jenna had gone down town to finally pick up our food, and Cady just sat next to me like he always did. We sat in silence for a long time, listening to the opening music of our DVD over and over again while we waited for Jenna. That’s when he just blurted it out. “Will you go to homecoming with me?” I, of course, was in complete shock. All I could do was nod, and the next thing I know, I was falling asleep in his arms as we awaited Jenna’s arrival back.

The months after were just as good, Cady and I were going strong, even though we weren’t officially going at all. He had just gotten out of a bad relationship, and he wanted to make sure he was ready for another one before we became serious at all. I didn’t mind, I was glad he was taking the time to think about it, instead of just jumping into things and breaking my heart afterwards. Of course, when you’re in a relationship like that, things can get rocky. I befriended the new girl in school, because no one else would, and she repaid me by asking him out, and to prom, even though that was miles away. I was distraught, heartbroken, and morally crushed. I couldn’t talk for days, I felt horrible ignoring calls and IM’s, but I just couldn’t deal with the world. I should have been careful though, because just as my doctor predicted, my treatment failed, and I wound up back in the hospital before I could tell anyone what was wrong with me.

I had been diagnosed with Leukemia when I was nine, and they had kept it at bay until then. Everything that had happened just sparked it back up, and they had to take me in for private care. Still, no one knew what was wrong, why I was frequently away from school, except for the nurse at my school. She was the only person I could think of calling. “I need you to stop by the hospital, room 114, I have something you need to deliver for me.” She came as she was called, taking the folded up letter back to the school with her. Cady was probably shocked when he read it, scared, and confused. He probably wondered why I told him not to tell anyone.

Cady,
I’m writing to you because you deserve to know what’s wrong with me. I have Leukemia, and it’s getting worse. I’m sorry for ruining what we had.

I love you.

The following morning I saw the article in the paper. Seventeen year old Cady Hampson was found in his attic hanging from an old rope coil. It broke me, completely and utterly. I refused to take treatments any more, I told them if God was going to let me die, then I’d die freely, so I could be with Cady again.

That night I saw him, and he kissed me for the first time.

NKsunshine said...

This is orginal, heartbreaking, and lovely...

the three ingredients for perfection<3

BeyondTheBrooke said...
Nov. 27, 2011 at 12:58 am
i think i just heard my heart snap.....

sparkofheart said...
ohhh my goshhhhhh! :'( that was soo beautiful and sad! you are an amazing writer...maybe you should think about making this short story into a novel??? id definitely go out and buy it if it was published! :) great job!

JustDance said...
this is so sad, sweet, and wonderful! u r such an amazing writer! keep writing!

gymbabe This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...

This is so sweet and sad, it was incredible.  Awesome job.  Keep writing!

Btw, anyone who sees this, will you check out and comment on my work?

KillerButterflyThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Beautiful. :) I loved this :)

Mspi18 said...
May 4, 2010 at 10:32 am
Amazing hook to get the reader in. i loved the ending it was a little presdictable in somne sort of way but still amazing. great work!

JayeMizzles said...

this story was rly well written and the story was great 2... this isnt ur fault but i have heard the lukheimia before, in fact ive used it in one of my stories 2 and its rly frequent, so maybe u could change it into a disease that no one would think of. you know, u have to do sum resaerch on a topic before you can write about it in a stpry :)

second, like i said, the writing was rly good, but i think there should be more words that willl bring the reader in. dont get me wrong, the firs... (more »)

ClockworkLightbulb said...
This is really sweet, sad and creative. Well done.(:

Meli(: said...
Mar. 13, 2010 at 12:06 am
WOW. This is great! I literally gasped when he hanged himself! you know a story is good when you physically react! Great job! :)

JazzRox said...
Omg that story was so amazing and it made me tear up like almost crying. Wow

renthead101 said...
thsi is amazing! You should make it into a longer story!

E.LeeXxX3 This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Feb. 17, 2010 at 9:59 am
that was actually really good:) and completely unexpected. but good job!

weirdonpurpose said...
woah... this is so weird... Cady is my name... O_o

Ali.B said...
Okay...WOW! This is so good! I like how they always love each other even after death. So romantic. Keep writing.

emilyj93 said...
wow that was really intense! I especially love how you do not mention the leukemia until halfway through, it was an unexpected twist which totally shifts the tone! Keep writing! If you ever have time I would be interested to see what you think about some of my work.

bubbasamantha said...
Dec. 31, 2009 at 9:35 am
Wow! When I read the part where he hung himself, it just shocked me badly! I had to reread it to fully accept that consept. I thought it was really sad, but then I like how you didn't make it depressing in the end by having her see Cady again, and getting her first kiss in the most magical place imaginable! Good job!

bamboom212 replied...
one word: whoa. i agree with bubba. i waz really shocked when it said Cady died & i had 2 reread it. i luv this story u did an awesome job

jatz318 said...
Dec. 31, 2009 at 2:13 am
This was pretty good. The writing is well done and the story is interesting. Only thing is that maybe you could add to it...fill out the storyline. It seems to be missing some detail...but yeaa the basic outline almost made me cry. Keep writing, you're talented.

Char_Baby! replied...
Hehe. Yeah. I'm thinking about making this longer and moredetailed. I just wrote this in 10 minutes when I was bored in class.