Sunsets

My dark blue eyes swept over the letter once again, checking for any signs of falseness. I paused at the word love. Tracing the block lettering, I realized that there are many ways to show love. Moving away wasn’t one of those reasons.

I glanced up onto the beach. One lone silhouette of a boy in his late teens stood at the water’s edge. I slowly walked up to him. Without making a sound I glanced up at his profile.

His shaggy brown hair fell in front of his eyes and his square jaw had a hint of stubble shadowing his mouth. He looked down at me and the corners of his mouth hitched up.

“I knew you would come.” His voice was hoarse as if he had been yelling all day. “You always do.” I reached for his hand and he took it, squeezing gently. I forced a smile at him.

“I love you,” I spoke, my voice breaking on the last word. He laughed; it was a low sad sound, unusual for him.

“As I love you.” Using his free hand, he stroked my cheek. I pressed my face into it breathing in his scent. He smelled lightly of soap and had on a hint of the cologne I bought him for his birthday.

“Then stay,” I pleaded. He frowned as if he were asked a difficult question.

“You know I can’t.”

“Then stay here with me tonight,” I argued holding tighter onto him. He hesitated and then nodded. He sat down, pulling me with him. Cradling me in his arms, he started to stroke my windblown hair. I closed my eyes; I was hoping that time would stop right there.

“I leave tomorrow morning,” he said to the air in front of him. I let a few tears trail down my face without speaking. For if I did, I knew I would weep. “Megan, look up.” I obeyed and he turned my face to the source of the dimming light. The sunset’s vibrant oranges, yellows, and reds painted the sky. I sighed, realizing that this was the last sunset I would spend with him. Reluctantly, I turned back to him.

“Don’t let me go,” I murmured before turning back to the sunset.

“I won’t,” he answered, but as he said those words we both knew they weren’t true. I took them to heart anyways. Tears started streaming down my cheeks and I let out a sob. Shawn held me tighter and I could feel his own tears falling into my hair. The sunset colors were turning into blackness and I could make out a few stars in the sky. The day was ending and so were our lives together.

written_love said...
Apr. 17, 2010 at 8:45 am:
I love this piece. It was short and sweet.. It lasted just long enough, and it flowed beautifully.

unwrittenloveThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. replied...
Apr. 30, 2010 at 9:31 am :
Thank you sooo much! :)

MissFaber said...
Mar. 27, 2010 at 8:49 am:

heyy this is MissFaber from order 423! I absolutely LOVED this piece... it was short and really sweet.

I feel for you... the guy I love moved away as well. :'(

Rosalie said...
Mar. 26, 2010 at 4:10 am:
I love this! you are a great writer! please keep writing!

The~crayon~in~my~heart said...
Mar. 4, 2010 at 7:16 pm:
oh, im such a romantic as well! we should start a club! hehe

thewritingclarinetist said...
Mar. 1, 2010 at 7:22 pm:
wow i loved this article. probably the best one ive read so far out of yours. YOU ARE AN AMAZING WRITER! please, for the love of all things holy, DO NOT STOP WRITING! you are so good at it. :)

unwritten~loveThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. replied...
Mar. 2, 2010 at 10:39 am :
Thank you so much! :) i love all of these positive comments! haha. i just wrote this after my best guy friend moved away. I think i may have loved him but he never found out. lol. thanks anyways

PoetLaureate07 said...
Feb. 26, 2010 at 10:07 am:
AWWW!! Their life together didn't have to end... Where was he going..just away mabye... It was sweet, amazing, and it took me in!!! check out some of my work!!

JohnyDeppLover123 said...
Feb. 10, 2010 at 3:08 pm:
wow that was incredible!!! Oh my gosh I absolutely loved it...it was so passionate and incredible!!! wow pure genius...good job! : ]

natygrace1217 said...
ok seriously, this was the best article i have read on the whole website! it was focused souly on their relationship and nothing else. you didnt spend too much time on the character detail, but there was just the amount you needed! the focus was their romance! incredible!

Ada_500 said...
Dec. 26, 2009 at 12:10 am:
to me this is kind of a coincidence (don't know if i spelled that right) anywho i was listening to kelly clarkson "already gone" and it matched the story perfectly of how he knows that they are going to be away so it just ties together perfectly almost cried though.

writingtiger25 This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Two words. I cried.

Sugar&Spice said...
Great story!

HarryPotterFan09 said...
AMAZING...Im a hopeless romantic and this cured my craving. Keep up the great work!

EmmaXoxo<3 said...
Love it!!! I will be looking out for the next one!!!!! Keep up the good work!!!!!

StEaMbOaT said...
very nice thank you

Fredwardness said...
I really liked this, keep writing. oh and im definetly going to check out the sequel =)

emaleigh!!:) replied...
Sept. 29, 2009 at 3:53 pm :
AGREED with fredwardness!

Kaitlyn S. This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. replied...
Sept. 29, 2009 at 9:45 pm :
Thankz! :) these made my day!

JenniferCaraOctobe said...
This sounds like the ending of a fantastic novel, well done!

Sept. 26, 2009 at 7:43 am :
haha thnx! it isnt but there is a sequel being proofed. It is gonna be called "Love is a Peculiar Thing. Check it out.