Sunsets

My dark blue eyes swept over the letter once again, checking for any signs of falseness. I paused at the word love. Tracing the block lettering, I realized that there are many ways to show love. Moving away wasn’t one of those reasons.

I glanced up onto the beach. One lone silhouette of a boy in his late teens stood at the water’s edge. I slowly walked up to him. Without making a sound I glanced up at his profile.

His shaggy brown hair fell in front of his eyes and his square jaw had a hint of stubble shadowing his mouth. He looked down at me and the corners of his mouth hitched up.

“I knew you would come.” His voice was hoarse as if he had been yelling all day. “You always do.” I reached for his hand and he took it, squeezing gently. I forced a smile at him.

“I love you,” I spoke, my voice breaking on the last word. He laughed; it was a low sad sound, unusual for him.

“As I love you.” Using his free hand, he stroked my cheek. I pressed my face into it breathing in his scent. He smelled lightly of soap and had on a hint of the cologne I bought him for his birthday.

“Then stay,” I pleaded. He frowned as if he were asked a difficult question.

“You know I can’t.”

“Then stay here with me tonight,” I argued holding tighter onto him. He hesitated and then nodded. He sat down, pulling me with him. Cradling me in his arms, he started to stroke my windblown hair. I closed my eyes; I was hoping that time would stop right there.

“I leave tomorrow morning,” he said to the air in front of him. I let a few tears trail down my face without speaking. For if I did, I knew I would weep. “Megan, look up.” I obeyed and he turned my face to the source of the dimming light. The sunset’s vibrant oranges, yellows, and reds painted the sky. I sighed, realizing that this was the last sunset I would spend with him. Reluctantly, I turned back to him.

“Don’t let me go,” I murmured before turning back to the sunset.

“I won’t,” he answered, but as he said those words we both knew they weren’t true. I took them to heart anyways. Tears started streaming down my cheeks and I let out a sob. Shawn held me tighter and I could feel his own tears falling into my hair. The sunset colors were turning into blackness and I could make out a few stars in the sky. The day was ending and so were our lives together.

Wordartist said...
Ohhhhhhhhh. Don't you hate when there is a fantasically good piece and then when you're caught up in the emotion of it; it ends. Then of course you have to reread it hoping magically the ending will change. Well this is one of those pieces, definelty!

laurensoccerThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Feb. 6, 2012 at 9:22 pm:
This is really great!!!!! Keep writing!!!!

singingwriter14 said...
Oh this made me want to cry. I have to say, I'm kind of a sucker for some romance myself. Keep writing!

Fia-fia said...

This is really good! rather sad, but well written and good emtion. thank you

:)

spiritgirl123 said...
PLEASE WRITE MORE!!! this is incredibale!!

XxilybbyxX said...
LOVE unwrittenlove she is my fave writer I love her romance novels, I check everyday for your writings! I love your writing keep it up your great!!!!!! :)

Dancing2222 said...
That was so wonderfully sad! I felt like I already knew the characters so it made it even more depressing! Please write more and give it a happy ending so I won't be sad!

Bookworm1998 said...
 this is so sad, but so good!

inkblot13 said...
Jul. 23, 2011 at 9:08 pm:

i really, really liked this. Good job! Also a hopeless romantic, yet I can't seem to write anything of the romance genre (go figure) Anyways, 5 out of 5 stars!!! :D

Check out some of my work?

WritingLoverForever said...
Jul. 1, 2011 at 4:54 pm:
This is great. You're an incredible writer. You have a very deep emotional intellect.  I am a hopeless romantic too so I can relate to this.  Could you check out my love story, "When Love Happens"? I have the prologue, chapter 1, and chapter 2 posted thus far. Thanks, and keep writing! :)

xBaByGiRrL22xThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Feb. 19, 2011 at 8:44 pm:
amazing. it was so heartfelt and emotional. i love it. plzz keep writing:)

cheer1018 said...
Beautiful.  This was very sad and reminded me of my boyfriend.  He goes to college now and im still in high school so i can completely relate to this!

amlee1212 said...
Nov. 23, 2010 at 7:40 am:
Unwrittenlove is one of the writers who I absolutely adore. I always come to read what new work she has submitted. I am such a sucker for the romance she writes. Everytime I'm on teenink, I have to see if she has posted anything new because I just love her writing. I can't wait until she finishes Innocent Kiss, that's my favorite one. Keeeeep it upppp(:

unwrittenloveThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. replied...
Nov. 23, 2010 at 4:04 pm :
Thank you so much! This literally made my day! I am so sorry to say that I will not be completing Innocent Kiss anytime soon. I know that a lot of people have loved it, but I just haven't had time to finish it. I will be posting this new novel that I am writing for a contest very soon. I hope everybody likes it. 

Stargirl212 said...
Jun. 22, 2010 at 10:14 am:
Gorgeous. I love that it's not too long and rambley. Great job!

ideaspazz replied...
Nov. 1, 2010 at 4:01 pm :
I enjoyed how you made it realistic and let him go instead of having the narrator change his mind.  Very good!  :)  Keep writing and I'm sure everyone will keep reading!

Reigyn said...
May 29, 2010 at 2:44 pm:
Beautiful piece.

Zoe_J said...
May 9, 2010 at 9:34 pm:
Wonderful! Short, but sweet. You are a great writer!

Catiestar said...
May 9, 2010 at 8:56 pm:
Absolutly beautiful. Great work.

written_love said...
Apr. 17, 2010 at 8:45 am:
I love this piece. It was short and sweet.. It lasted just long enough, and it flowed beautifully.