"I love you." | Teen Ink

"I love you."

September 20, 2009
By unwrittenlove DIAMOND, Mount Berry, Georgia
unwrittenlove DIAMOND, Mount Berry, Georgia
61 articles 11 photos 153 comments

Favorite Quote:
"If you love something, let it go. If it comes back to you, its yours forever. If it dosent, then it was never meant to be" -anonymous


“Just trust me.” Cody kept his voice low. I laughed again and walked in the direction he told me to. When my toes finally touched sand, Cody took his hands away. We took our shoes off and left them by the road. I walked up to the water and closed my eyes as the water lapped at my feet. Cody walked up and stood beside me.

“What are you thinking about?” he murmured. A tingle ran up my spine as I answered.

“I’m thinking about the time we first met,” I whispered back.

“Do you remember that long back?”

“Yeah,” I admitted. “Didn’t it go like…?”

----------------


I set out my peanut butter and jelly sandwich on the napkin beside my chocolate pudding. I was just about to take a bite when I heard footsteps come up behind me.

“Move. I want that seat.” I turned to see the boy who just spoke to me. He was tall for his age and had shaggy black hair that hung down in front of eyes. He flipped the hair out of his eyes so I could see his eyes. They were a dark green. I glared at him.

“No,” I commented. I went back to eating my sandwich. Suddenly, I felt a shove and I fell on the ground. My mom always said I was a strong, independent girl; so I pushed myself up and swung around to face him. “Get. Out. Of. My. Seat.”

“No,” he repeated, so I pushed him back. He fell on his face and I slid back into my seat. As he pulled himself up and glanced at him. He stared at me for a moment and then smiled. “You’re okay kid. I’m Cody.”

“I’m Jennifer but you can call me Jen.” I grinned at him as he sat down beside me. I handed him half of my sandwich.

“I think we are going to be best friends Jen,” he laughed and bit into his sandwich.

-------------------

“I still can’t believe that was first grade,” Cody sat down beside me as I pulled my knees up to my chest.

“I know right?” I took a glance at him. He was staring out at the sea with a thoughtful look on his face. “What are you thinking about?” He smiled at me; his eyes were gleaming.

“Do you really want to know?” when I nodded he looked back at the ocean. “I was remembering our first kiss.” I giggled remembering too.

“Wasn’t it in sixth grade?” I turned to him.

“Yeah,” he said. “We were…”

-------------------

We were still best friends. Even though Jen and I had a lot of fights, we never stopped being friends. Everyone in our class was kissing but us. Katie came to me one day at lunch.

“Everyone is giving me crap about having virgin lips,” she complained sitting down on the lawn beside me.

“Virgin lips?” I chuckled. She glared at me and I stopped, looking back at my friends on the playground.

“It gets so annoying,” She wailed and buried her face in her arms. I sighed dramatically and put my hand on her shoulder.

“Jen,” I poked her but she didn’t budge. “Jen,” I said even louder. She looked up and I could see tears streaming down her face. Her mascara was ruined; she had just begun to use a little makeup-her mom only allowed lip gloss and mascara- so she looked like a raccoon.

“What?” her voice broke and I put my hand on her cheek. She froze in place. I hesitated in the way a man hesitates before a kiss. Then I leaned in and pressed my lips to her frozen ones. As I slowly pulled back I could feel the eyes of the entire sixth grade on us. Jen stared at me wide-eyed and I took my hand away. I stood up and got ready to go play basketball when I heard her whisper, “Thanks.”

-------------------

“Let’s go; it’s getting late.” My voice broke on the last word. I wiped my tears on my arm but they kept coming down.

“Jen, are you crying?” I could hear Cody’s voice, frantic as he reached out to me. I pulled back, scared.

“No, I’m fine,” I quickly answered but a sob escaped me, giving me away. I crumpled to the ground and cried. “I’m sorry.”

“It’s okay,” Cody’s voice was right beside me now. “Sit up Jen.” I obeyed and he sat up beside me.

“It’s just been so long.” I leaned against his strong shoulder fitting into him like I always belonged.

“I know,” he whispered and I looked out onto the horizon. The colors of the sunset popped out at me. The vibrant oranges, purples, yellows, and reds didn’t seem to fit my mood. Suddenly, I sat up alarmed. “What’s wrong?”

“I have to go,” I felt a rush of déjà-vu as I seized my purse and ran away. I ran away from him, the memories, and the love I used to have.

-------------------

I watched her run away with graceful movements, some that I cannot even manage. Her dark brown hair flew out from behind her as she rounded the corner and moved towards the boat. I felt broken inside. It felt just like the day I left her at the airport. I realized that she had taken half of me with her. But I couldn’t love her; I love Emily. I stalked off in concentration towards the boat.

On my way there I was seized by small arms that wrapped around my waist. I turned to look at Emily who had a huge smile on her face. I contrasted her with Jen. Emily was short in everything; her height was five foot even, her blonde hair hung straight, cut at her chin, every day, and her hands can barely touch my hair. Jen was totally different. She was a tall 5’9”, she had long lithe arms and legs, and her eyes shined with excitement every time I laugh or smile at her. I leaned down to Emily’s level to hear her voice.

“I love you,” her wind chime voice declared.

“I love you too,” I said back before I kissed her. But there was something in the back of my mind telling me that I didn’t.


The author's comments:
I am writnign a love novel and this is an exerpt from it. Hope you like it

Similar Articles

JOIN THE DISCUSSION

This article has 140 comments.


on Jun. 19 2010 at 4:27 pm
laptoploser1220 GOLD, Deltona, Florida
12 articles 0 photos 8 comments

Favorite Quote:
“Put your hand on a hot stove for a minute, and it seems like an hour. Sit with a pretty girl for an hour, and it seems like a minute. THAT'S relativity.”- Albert Einstein

That's exactly what I was thinking!

figureitout said...
on Jun. 16 2010 at 9:33 pm
figureitout, Dorchester, New Jersey
0 articles 0 photos 17 comments

Favorite Quote:
Life is too short to wake up with regrets.So love the people who treat you right, forget the ones that dont.Nobody said life would be easy, they just promised it'd be worth it.

ok, im a little confused. are jen and cody bestfriends or boyfriend and girlfriend.? and is emily cody's girlfriend.? snf why does it say katie in the one part that's talking about jen and cody's kiss.? can somebody please explain.?

on Jun. 13 2010 at 6:05 pm
OfficialApprover PLATINUM, Orefield, Pennsylvania
48 articles 0 photos 1752 comments

Favorite Quote:
Grab life by the balls. -Slobberknocker
We cannot change the cards we're dealt just how we play the hand
Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted
It's pretty easy to be smart when you're parroting smart people
-Randy Pausch

You DEFINITELY have to write more!  This was so amazing!  Please post more!

Btw, anyone who sees this, will you check out my work and comment on it?


Reigyn said...
on May. 29 2010 at 3:00 pm
Reigyn, Toronto, Other
0 articles 0 photos 27 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Dance like no one is watching, love like you'll never be hurt,sing like no one is listening,and live like it's heaven on earth."- William Purkey
As we struggle to make sense of things, life looks on in repose. ~Author Unknown

ohmigosh! what a hook! I love it!

on May. 25 2010 at 2:28 pm
TheSummoningFreak PLATINUM, Lugoff, South Carolina
41 articles 0 photos 122 comments

Favorite Quote:
if you can never let yourself fall you'll never know what it's like to love

ahhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!

more more. i need more lol


chicken wing said...
on May. 25 2010 at 9:03 am
i loved this i thought that was my life for a second but it was a really great story

on May. 4 2010 at 11:06 am
unwrittenlove DIAMOND, Mount Berry, Georgia
61 articles 11 photos 153 comments

Favorite Quote:
"If you love something, let it go. If it comes back to you, its yours forever. If it dosent, then it was never meant to be" -anonymous

Hey everyone! This is the author! haha. Thanks for all of your comments. They really mean a lot to me. :) For those that are confused: Jen and Cody are best friends. They used to go out. Jen broke it off and Cody was seeing someone else. Cody and Emily-his girlfriend- are on the cruise together. Enter Jen. Jen and Cody start to talk about old times. Jen, who does not know about Emily, starts to fall in love with him. Read the chapters as I post them. You will understand better after reading them. Thanks again though! :)

on May. 4 2010 at 6:44 am
unwrittenlove DIAMOND, Mount Berry, Georgia
61 articles 11 photos 153 comments

Favorite Quote:
"If you love something, let it go. If it comes back to you, its yours forever. If it dosent, then it was never meant to be" -anonymous

Yes, I am writing a novel and this was pulled out from like chapter 3. I just submitted the actual chapters but it might take a while to get them online.

shaniab SILVER said...
on May. 3 2010 at 10:24 pm
shaniab SILVER, Hawthorne, California
9 articles 0 photos 13 comments
WOW i was really surprised. That reminds me of me and my best friend.

on May. 3 2010 at 3:09 pm
Sketched97 PLATINUM, Silver Spring, Maryland
31 articles 4 photos 167 comments
The end was super clever and really well written, but the beginning is confusing with all the changing of views. 

on May. 3 2010 at 12:21 pm
sidneynicole BRONZE, McKinney, Texas
4 articles 0 photos 48 comments

Favorite Quote:
"When life knock you down to your knees, just know you are in a perfect postition to pray."

omg i lovedd it and yes u need to post moree lol ur a very good writer

on May. 1 2010 at 5:53 pm
unwrittenlove DIAMOND, Mount Berry, Georgia
61 articles 11 photos 153 comments

Favorite Quote:
"If you love something, let it go. If it comes back to you, its yours forever. If it dosent, then it was never meant to be" -anonymous

Okay....okay! You convinced me! haha. I am posting the chapters now. It might be a while but keep an eye out for them. The story is called Innocent Kiss.

on Apr. 30 2010 at 2:21 pm
LiveLife2theMax GOLD, Wicklow, Other
12 articles 4 photos 74 comments

Favorite Quote:
In three words I can sum up everything I've learned about life: it goes on.
-Robert Frost

I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I am not.
-Kurt Cobain

yes, yes, yes you definitely should.
i mean you cant just leave an ending like that!
people need closure..
more importantly I need closure
lol  (:

on Apr. 30 2010 at 9:33 am
unwrittenlove DIAMOND, Mount Berry, Georgia
61 articles 11 photos 153 comments

Favorite Quote:
"If you love something, let it go. If it comes back to you, its yours forever. If it dosent, then it was never meant to be" -anonymous

It's a story im working on. haha. this is just an excerpt from chapter 2. Should I post more? idk yet...lol :)

Thanks for the comment


on Apr. 11 2010 at 8:06 pm
socrprncss12 SILVER, Weslaco, Texas
9 articles 0 photos 11 comments

Favorite Quote:
With God, Anything is Possible

OMG i totally thought the Jen and Cody were together...lol

nice twist with him being with that girl Emily...


on Apr. 11 2010 at 2:43 pm
LiveLife2theMax GOLD, Wicklow, Other
12 articles 4 photos 74 comments

Favorite Quote:
In three words I can sum up everything I've learned about life: it goes on.
-Robert Frost

I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I am not.
-Kurt Cobain

AGH!! What happens next?!

:) i loved it by the way.


neimyne BRONZE said...
on Apr. 3 2010 at 1:10 pm
neimyne BRONZE, Chapel Hill, North Carolina
3 articles 3 photos 27 comments
How smoothly you transition between flashbacks and the present~ I rather like the ending; it touches upon just how complicated such an undefinable emotions is.

on Apr. 1 2010 at 11:09 am
unwrittenlove DIAMOND, Mount Berry, Georgia
61 articles 11 photos 153 comments

Favorite Quote:
"If you love something, let it go. If it comes back to you, its yours forever. If it dosent, then it was never meant to be" -anonymous

haha. I understand your confusion. I was thinking about my friend and accidentally wrote down her name instead of Jen. So her name is supposed to be Jen. LOL. thanks for the comment

on Mar. 31 2010 at 9:24 pm
writergirl13 GOLD, Cherry Hill, New Jersey
11 articles 8 photos 261 comments

Favorite Quote:
All are lunatics, but he who can analyze his delusions is called a philosopher.
Ambrose Bierce

That was so sad, it reminds of this book summary i saw. The book is called Fallen, I have it but I haven't read it yet (I've only had it for a few days). the summary on the back of the cover goes like this: "What if the one you were meant to be with couldn't be yours?" It just reminds of that. Also, you kind of lost me on the part where Katie came over (who is she? where does she go after that???) when he and Jen kissed.But it's a great story!

on Mar. 31 2010 at 9:23 pm
writergirl13 GOLD, Cherry Hill, New Jersey
11 articles 8 photos 261 comments

Favorite Quote:
All are lunatics, but he who can analyze his delusions is called a philosopher.
Ambrose Bierce

That was so sad, it reminds of this book summary i saw once. The book is called Fallen, I have it but I haven't read it yet (I've only had it for a few days). the summary on the back of the cover goes like this: "What if the one you were meant to be with couldn't be yours?" It just reminds of that. Also, you kind of lost me on the part where Katie came over (who is she? where does she go after that???) when he and Jen kissed.But it's a great story!