"I love you."

“Just trust me.” Cody kept his voice low. I laughed again and walked in the direction he told me to. When my toes finally touched sand, Cody took his hands away. We took our shoes off and left them by the road. I walked up to the water and closed my eyes as the water lapped at my feet. Cody walked up and stood beside me.

“What are you thinking about?” he murmured. A tingle ran up my spine as I answered.

“I’m thinking about the time we first met,” I whispered back.

“Do you remember that long back?”

“Yeah,” I admitted. “Didn’t it go like…?”

----------------

I set out my peanut butter and jelly sandwich on the napkin beside my chocolate pudding. I was just about to take a bite when I heard footsteps come up behind me.

“Move. I want that seat.” I turned to see the boy who just spoke to me. He was tall for his age and had shaggy black hair that hung down in front of eyes. He flipped the hair out of his eyes so I could see his eyes. They were a dark green. I glared at him.

“No,” I commented. I went back to eating my sandwich. Suddenly, I felt a shove and I fell on the ground. My mom always said I was a strong, independent girl; so I pushed myself up and swung around to face him. “Get. Out. Of. My. Seat.”

“No,” he repeated, so I pushed him back. He fell on his face and I slid back into my seat. As he pulled himself up and glanced at him. He stared at me for a moment and then smiled. “You’re okay kid. I’m Cody.”

“I’m Jennifer but you can call me Jen.” I grinned at him as he sat down beside me. I handed him half of my sandwich.

“I think we are going to be best friends Jen,” he laughed and bit into his sandwich.

-------------------

“I still can’t believe that was first grade,” Cody sat down beside me as I pulled my knees up to my chest.

“I know right?” I took a glance at him. He was staring out at the sea with a thoughtful look on his face. “What are you thinking about?” He smiled at me; his eyes were gleaming.

“Do you really want to know?” when I nodded he looked back at the ocean. “I was remembering our first kiss.” I giggled remembering too.

“Wasn’t it in sixth grade?” I turned to him.

“Yeah,” he said. “We were…”

-------------------

We were still best friends. Even though Jen and I had a lot of fights, we never stopped being friends. Everyone in our class was kissing but us. Katie came to me one day at lunch.

“Everyone is giving me crap about having virgin lips,” she complained sitting down on the lawn beside me.

“Virgin lips?” I chuckled. She glared at me and I stopped, looking back at my friends on the playground.

“It gets so annoying,” She wailed and buried her face in her arms. I sighed dramatically and put my hand on her shoulder.

“Jen,” I poked her but she didn’t budge. “Jen,” I said even louder. She looked up and I could see tears streaming down her face. Her mascara was ruined; she had just begun to use a little makeup-her mom only allowed lip gloss and mascara- so she looked like a raccoon.

“What?” her voice broke and I put my hand on her cheek. She froze in place. I hesitated in the way a man hesitates before a kiss. Then I leaned in and pressed my lips to her frozen ones. As I slowly pulled back I could feel the eyes of the entire sixth grade on us. Jen stared at me wide-eyed and I took my hand away. I stood up and got ready to go play basketball when I heard her whisper, “Thanks.”

-------------------

“Let’s go; it’s getting late.” My voice broke on the last word. I wiped my tears on my arm but they kept coming down.

“Jen, are you crying?” I could hear Cody’s voice, frantic as he reached out to me. I pulled back, scared.

“No, I’m fine,” I quickly answered but a sob escaped me, giving me away. I crumpled to the ground and cried. “I’m sorry.”

“It’s okay,” Cody’s voice was right beside me now. “Sit up Jen.” I obeyed and he sat up beside me.

“It’s just been so long.” I leaned against his strong shoulder fitting into him like I always belonged.

“I know,” he whispered and I looked out onto the horizon. The colors of the sunset popped out at me. The vibrant oranges, purples, yellows, and reds didn’t seem to fit my mood. Suddenly, I sat up alarmed. “What’s wrong?”

“I have to go,” I felt a rush of déjà-vu as I seized my purse and ran away. I ran away from him, the memories, and the love I used to have.

-------------------

I watched her run away with graceful movements, some that I cannot even manage. Her dark brown hair flew out from behind her as she rounded the corner and moved towards the boat. I felt broken inside. It felt just like the day I left her at the airport. I realized that she had taken half of me with her. But I couldn’t love her; I love Emily. I stalked off in concentration towards the boat.

On my way there I was seized by small arms that wrapped around my waist. I turned to look at Emily who had a huge smile on her face. I contrasted her with Jen. Emily was short in everything; her height was five foot even, her blonde hair hung straight, cut at her chin, every day, and her hands can barely touch my hair. Jen was totally different. She was a tall 5’9”, she had long lithe arms and legs, and her eyes shined with excitement every time I laugh or smile at her. I leaned down to Emily’s level to hear her voice.

“I love you,” her wind chime voice declared.

“I love you too,” I said back before I kissed her. But there was something in the back of my mind telling me that I didn’t.

farah9723 said...
it was amazingggg !! except i think u did a mistake at the start of the kissing flashback "u said katie instead of jen" which got me a little confused but other than that i LOVE!

undefinedpassion said...
Unwritten~love PLEASE!  I beg you, Finish the Novel! I've read the first few chapters and it was AMAZING! I still remember this poem from 2011! If you are still on, PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE Finish!

mixie said...
May 7, 2012 at 4:16 pm:
The bit about how they first met was definately taken from iCarly! Other than that, quite hard to follow, confusing at times but I get where you're going with it 

Allicat001 said...
I really liked it!  my only question is who is Katie at the beginning of the kissing scene? 

Winters_WillowThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Mar. 25, 2012 at 4:57 am:
Really good! There was good suspense. I'd like to know what happens to Jen, Cody and Emily! :)

mollyb said...
Mar. 15, 2012 at 1:06 pm:
I loved this, it was really well written. Great job!:)

Mary15654 said...
Mar. 15, 2012 at 10:48 am:
omg this is so kul

OceanEyes0355 This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Okay, the part about the sandwich and the pushing is just like how the stars of iCarly met.

lizerina776This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Apr. 28, 2012 at 7:12 pm :
lol this is exactly what I was thinking...

ginger1993 said...
i thought switching points of view made the story. to what both characters are thinking in the same scene. i loved it!!

Goddess said...
quick question. how was jen's toes toush the sand when she was still wearing shoes???

Internal-Love said...
I didnt understand it at first but at the end I did: this story is raw and realistic :] I like it

BeyondTheBrooke said...
i love this....amazing and sad

snowyangel775 said...
I love Diz story

Valery5This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
ok i loved how they were looking back n remembering their past, but i got confused towards the end i wasn't sure what was going on. who's emily and who's katie ?

KJC1211 said...
I love that story! its soo good and sweet!

kristi421 This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Nov. 26, 2011 at 1:26 am:
this is really really really great! i LOVE it!

Dreamgirl95 said...
i love this so much. Awsome job, this is the best:)

JuneTaz said...
Perfection, honestly! Maybe the switch-offs between Jen and Cody could be a little more clearer and obvious, but besides that, you're amazing. The way you bring us to one thought, and then snatch it away with something completely unexpected. That last line really had me there! Your novel is going to be great. After all, most teens have the same situation- the person they broke up or left is actually the one they would rather be with. Five stars!

Hobbit@Hear T. said...
Loved it. Open endings always please me because I can envision a happy ending...