P.S Remember Me Always

“Remember?” I ask for what seemed the thousandth time.
“I’m sorry, no” Nate answers, sending my heart into hell. This is pointless; he isn’t ever going to remember me.
“Okay,” I sigh, holding back tears. Once upon a time Nate loved me, until he drove into a tree. That made his memory of the last two years to be erased. Sadly, I met him only a year before the accident, so he doesn’t remember me. Whoever said love conquers all never had to deal with memory loss.

“I’m sorry, really. But it’s all just a blank,” I looked into his chocolate brown eyes. Oh, how I wanted for him to hold me close. A sharp pain ran through my chest just at the thought of lying in his arms. A single tear escaped my eyes, rolling down my cheek onto the ground below.

“I guess this is goodbye then,” I whisper. Pain crossed his features. He may not remember our love, but we somehow managed to become close friends through everything. I was the only one who hadn’t given up on him, but I just couldn’t take it no more.

“Please don’t say that,” He breathed. I watch tears spill over his eyes. I raised my hand and wiped away his liquid pain, and then I leaned in and kissed his cheek. Finally, I walked away from my lost true love.

Will I love again? Maybe. Will I ever love someone as much as Nate? Never.

**********4 years later************

“Nate!” I run across the green grass into his arms.
“Lora,” He whispers in my ear. I could stay in his arms forever. But the tug on my skirt causes me to pull away and crouch down. Two big blue eyes stared back at me, the same colour as my own eyes.

“Melody, I want you to meet Nate.” My daughter of two and a half years reached for my hand. Then I watched as she looked up at the man above her.
“Hwello,” She said. I giggled at how she always pronounced her words with an extra W.
I looked up towards a smiling Nate. I had never told him that I had a child after I left him behind.
“Hi there,” I felt my heart leap when I looked at his wonderful smile. A smile he had once gave me when we had been in love. But that was the past.

“Melody, why don’t you go play while Nate and Mommy talk?” Melody smiled at me, then rushed towards the playground, brown hair flying behind her the whole way. I let out a sigh and headed towards a nearby bench.

“I’ve missed you,” Nate reached for my hand.
“How can you miss something you can’t even remember?” I mutter thinking foolishly that he can’t hear. But then I felt his hand pull away. I turned to see he had placed his face within both hands.

“That’s just the thing,” Nate raised his head and looked intently at me.
“Huh?”
“I called you here for two reasons, Lora. One, I missed you. Two, I think I remeb-
“Don’t,” I whisper, tears filling my eyes.
“Don’t?”
“Please, just don’t. Don’t say it,” Tears began flowing, with no hope of stopping.
“Why?”

“Because I don’t love you anymore.” I breathe. I could hear my heart breaking, but it had to be said.

“I’m sorry,”
“I’m not,” I lied.
“Please don’t leave!” He cried. My heart told me to turn back and run to him. But my brain knew better. I knew he would hurt now, but if I stayed he would be worse later.

“Melody lets go home!” I called to her. She ran over and took my hand. Then she turned back towards Nate. Then she turned back to look at me.
“But mommy, you said daddy was coming with us,” She whined.

“Daddy doesn’t remember.” I lied for hopefully the last time.

*********10 years later************

“Nate Stone?” I ask a tall man standing in the open doorway.
“Yes,” I couldn’t help but gasp.
“Dad!” I ran into his arms. He was surprised, I could tell. I pulled back slightly, tears of both pain and happiness running down my cheeks. “It’s me, Melody!”

“Melody?” He said, shocked.

“Wait, I got something.” I began to search through my backpack. Finally, I found the thick envelope with Nate written across it.

“Here, it’s from mom.” I say while handing him the heavy letter. I watch as he ripped it open, and tears forming in his brown eyes while he read my mother’s heart spilled on a piece of paper.

Dear Nate,

If you are reading this it mean I have passed away. I’m sorry that I never told you I was dying. Soon after Melody was born I was diagnosed with a form of cancer. I was then given four more years to live. So the last time I saw you I promised myself that even if you remembered by then I would leave. I didn’t want you to go through the pain of my death, so I let you believe that I had forgotten our love. Which was a lie; I never have stopped loving you. But I loved you so much that I couldn’t let you suffer such heartbreak. When I die, Melody will be sent away to live with my sister until she is thirteen. Then I will send her out to deliever my letter, and find you. After that the choice is yours, if you wish to keep her. Her father left us before she was even born, but I have said you were always he dad. Please forgive me. I hope that your life will be a good one without me. I’ll always love you.
Your lost love,
Lora
P.S Remember me always

He finally looked up after many minutes of silence.

“When?” He breathed.
“The doctors were off by about a year and a half. She died two months after we came to visit you,”

“You have her eyes,” Nate whispered before embracing Melody, the daughter of his long lost love.

FilipinaMahalKita said...
Mar. 16, 2010 at 8:53 pm:
I love love love this!!!! Keep writing!! :D

imnotjaye said...
Mar. 8, 2010 at 2:57 pm:
that is the cutest yet saddest thing i have ever read!!... but i think the timing's off...

writeforhim said...
Mar. 3, 2010 at 9:03 pm:
The plot was REALLY good and there were definitely some good moments. I think it would be even better if it was a novel. If you had more time to develop the plot I really think it would be great. You're a good writer, and it's an awesome plot...really good job :-)

PoetLaureate07 replied...
Mar. 9, 2010 at 4:19 pm :
This is so sad.... romantic.... sweet... heart throbbing.... everything rolled into one....That was amazing!!! please keep writing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!... btw... writeforhim, why's that ur screen name??? im not dissin it... i just wanna know y u put it as that..................................if u don;t mind me asking.............................................

sisterscrestofthedeadend said...
Feb. 27, 2010 at 11:31 am:
loved it !!!!!!! you should make a book out of this KEEP WRITING!!!!!!!!!!!

SMiCHEllEB* said...
Feb. 5, 2010 at 5:12 pm:
WOW! this is AMAZING. i had COLD chills the whole time. and the whole time i was trying to guess who melody's dad really was. and this is just GREAT:)

sasssgirrrl22 replied...
Feb. 5, 2010 at 7:29 pm :
completely agree with smichelleb. this is one of my favorite articles on here. i just luvv it. plz keep up the gr8 work!

Rosalie said...
Feb. 5, 2010 at 5:45 am:
This is the most beautiful piece i have ever read!
i love your work!

Amanda F. said...
I'm crying right now! That was, by far, the best writing I have ever read! I read Twilight, and it has got NOTHING on this! I thought Stephenie Meyer was the best writer!

NeverSayNever replied...
Jan. 14, 2010 at 8:24 pm :
thanks, but i don't think i'm anywhere close to stephenie meyer lol

KerAnn replied...
Jan. 17, 2010 at 8:51 pm :
This was amazing. It made me cry. Your the next Stephenie Meyer. I swear.

MariahMundi replied...
Jan. 22, 2010 at 7:09 pm :
okay, sorry, but i don't think stephenie meyer is actually a good writer, she just had a good plot that tied people into the story, i really don't like her books, BUT I LOVE THIS. just saying. LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE it. and no offense to stephenie meyer and twilight fans. i loved the sadness woven in. i'm usually one for a happy ending but this is the exception ;) keep writing!!

Garnet said...
This brought tears to my eyes, but also a smile to my face....a sad piece, but so well-written!! You have great potential, I can't wait to read more from you!!

krzykrys said...
omg im crying! that so sad and amazing at the same time. . when she tell him i dont love you it seems like one of the hardest things to ever say

twilighter_360 said...
i cried whem i read this--its that good

soccercrazy said...
Dec. 23, 2009 at 12:20 am:
how you changed perspectives gave a wonderful insight of the story from different angles at different times. i liked it a lot. keep writing. =]

The Reader! said...
I loved that. It was a bit of a heartbreak but amazing! Keep it up.

Natalie H. This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
this is so sweet and sad at the same time! i love it!!

CarsonGooch said...
Dec. 1, 2009 at 8:22 am:
Amazing, I could really feel the pain.

JordanNicole said...
This is an awesome picece...I'm crying right now. I loved it! Please check out some of my work and leave a comment. I enjoyed reading this....Keep up the good work.