Daydreamer

The days blur together. Hour after hour she sits on her porch swing, watching each day fade into the next. All she can make out are the colors--the bright green of the trees, the vivid blue of the sky, the gray of the overcast clouds, the shades of pink, purple, and yellow in the flowers around her. It was so easy to lose track of time in this haze that she was so sure would last forever; or at least that's what she told herself. It will never end. Never.

Another summer night. The fire danced, lightly leaping around and around, higher and higher. Embers glowing brightly around the bottom seemed to encourage the flames to jump to even greater heights as the dark smoke flew into the clear night sky. Her eyes stared unblinking into the dancing fire, hypnotized--daydreaming, lost. Of course, that was the way it always was anymore.

He grabbed her hand, holding it tightly. The fire and everyone around it disappeared in that instant. He pulled her pale face toward his, his bright blue eyes gazing intently into her own blue-green eyes. Smiling, he whispered into her ear, "Your eyes are just like you, Beth. They couldn't make up their mind so they decided on the best of both worlds." In spite of herself she smiled back at him, but he read her face as easily as if it was one of the many books she had hidden behind. His strong arms embraced her, and she held on as tightly as she could.

For years, she had dreamed of this. Now all she could do was look back on the years and wish for more. Her thoughts drifted back to the first time she fell off of her bike, and the tears that streamed down her face with that first sharp pain only to be wiped away by her father's caring hands. She felt the warm sunlight around her as she walked on the red dirt roads, laughing and talking with her sisters. She heard her heart pounding in her ears the first time she had ever snuck out of the house to meet her best friend. The memories came from everywhere, surrounding her, crushing her. And now there was him.

He led her away from the bonfire. Standing by his white truck, he gently kissed her forehead. "This is not goodbye," he asserted, drawing her closer. He let go slowly, and then, without a word, he leapt into the driver's seat, leaning out of the window as he said, "I'll see you later, my little daydreamer." Then he drove away, into an uncertain world. The tears slid slowly down her face, but she simply let them fall, refusing to wipe them away.

Her van was packed, ready for her in the morning. Another path lay before her, a future that only she could make for herself. She had always dreamed of this. So why could she only dream now of the beautiful world that danced in his eyes?

Her dreams were obscured somehow, and they too were drifting away . . .

SilverSunThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
May 11, 2012 at 8:21 pm:
You are a very good descriptive writer!

Dirty-Hobolo33 said...
Mar. 16, 2012 at 8:25 am:
I liked the imagery, good story.

Dolly9471 said...
Feb. 23, 2012 at 6:53 pm:
Love the use of words.  A perfect 100%!

mammothfrk said...
Feb. 23, 2012 at 7:41 am:
a lot of un certainty! but a good write

Musawwir21 said...

Im so jealous your such a beautiful writer i cant deny it from the paragraph i read i the words jumped off the page i could see everything vivid imagination will get you far . 

- Veronica Musawwir

lexie lue:) said...
I think I would love to read this book if i can find it...it has a really good use of words. I wanted it to go on so I could read more about it!!

CameandgonesmartyThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Sept. 17, 2011 at 11:02 am:
this was so beautiful it made me cry

writerfreak21231This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Jul. 18, 2011 at 8:22 am:
It was was AWESOME!!! great job! (Sorry for advrertizing) I just wrote two stories called nightstalker and the beast. If anyone could check them out and post some comments and feedback that would be great. Thanks! and keep writing everybody! :)(:

billgamesh11 replied...
Aug. 9, 2011 at 10:19 am :
Wow that was good! I wish I could write like you... Keep writing!!!:):):);)

ArtHeart said...
Jun. 26, 2011 at 3:57 pm:
maybe a little more of a story line, I'm not quite sure what the character is so upset about...and less description perhaps, the fire doesnt need a paragraph of its own

Musawwir21 replied...
Sept. 22, 2011 at 9:05 pm :
dont he a hepercrite . Just dont say nothing if its not nice .

chelsead said...
Jun. 21, 2011 at 2:29 pm:
Thank you for the feedback! I'm so touched by all of the positive things everyone has to say. :)

Jun. 4, 2011 at 3:40 pm:

Wow, I'm CRYING!

like LEGIT.

OMG this is so touching...

booklover104 said...
Jun. 4, 2011 at 1:46 am:
very descriptive, good job! I liked it! =)

Padfoot95 said...
This was really good :) I love what he says about her eyes. Sweet.

open_your_eyes This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
It seems sort of fake. You should have put more personal emotions into the piece instead of forcing made up ones.

life_is_like_a_poem said...
Mar. 30, 2011 at 4:46 pm:
Loved all of it cause it made me think and want more work form you!

xomonsterbabyxo said...
Feb. 14, 2011 at 1:07 pm:
the story was beautiful, it kept me on edge as i read each line. thank you  :)

YellowRose79This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Feb. 14, 2011 at 12:40 pm:

Beautiful, I loved the imagery! I did get a little confused on her eyes, maybe that could be better explained. Overall though, wonderful!

(check out my work, please)

tanaya said...
Feb. 10, 2011 at 6:12 pm:
That was.....amazing!