Lily and I

Sometimes when he is with Lily things aren’t quite 3D. For Lily he can become soft plastic and mould himself to fill her every crevice. He bends but never breaks because what Lily needs and wants is easiest of all to give. Flowers sometimes. Putting them into her blushing hands is like saying thank you. Watching her balance on one foot to put them in a vase is as consuming as a kiss. It is a beauty only he sees. Or so he thinks. He likes to think no one can appreciate the modest grey eyes, the rhythmic drumming of her elegant fingers like he can. He enjoys needing her.

Lily enjoys wanting him. Lily appreciates the lingering leers, the back breaking love. She thinks she does. Her beauty is selfish. Lily keeps her eyes open when they kiss. The flowers she puts out for her friends to admire. Lily wants to be able to say “Oh that? Just something he dropped round”. Lily sees him contort to place himself between her and the door, sliding it shut with his foot. She feels flattened.

Symbolic. Sinister.
Lily lets him do it.

Allicat001 said...
Mar. 31, 2012 at 6:59 pm:
Short and sweet, good job:)

invisibleme said...
Feb. 16, 2012 at 8:57 am:
Fantastic, well written, descriptive, I loved everything about it

DreamInTheRainThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
I also got confused at the end... Why did he put himself in between them?

Jappyalldayeveryday said...
Nov. 20, 2011 at 8:55 am:
It had nice descriptions of human character, but I honestly wasn't touched in any way by this piece, I think because it didn't have enough details and background about the characters.

peacerocks said...
Oct. 7, 2011 at 10:19 am:
This story was great and absolutely beautiful! It was a little short however...... I would read more of this!;)

RedheadAtHeart This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
That is absolutely beautiful. I'm so impressed. This piece has it all, talent, originality, fresh voice...need I go on? :)

loveibanez said...
Jul. 11, 2011 at 12:38 pm:
this was amazing. its good to finally see some quality work in the romance section, i loved how you were inspired by a painting and your word choice & the flow of your sentences was perrrrfect! great job

heiwagirl said...
Mar. 23, 2011 at 11:20 pm:
fantastic! great! amzing! wonderful! beautiful! the list goes on and on :)

tanaya said...
Feb. 11, 2011 at 3:07 pm:
that was amazing!

monkeyfaceThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...

his was really great but i got confused on the last line... when u were talking about him putting himself between her and the front door and him closing it with his foot and u said she let him

did u mean that he left her but she let him go?

Syarra_Greenwood said...
Jun. 10, 2010 at 11:31 pm:
AMAZING! thats the only word to descirbe this peice

SilverLuna said...
May 19, 2010 at 4:57 pm:

This fantastic! I loved it completely...great work!

DreamWriter15 said...
Apr. 5, 2010 at 12:37 am:

Oh no!  That's so.......what's the word for it?  Sad....angry.....emotional.....wicked......realistic....

Beautiful.

PlainJaneThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Mar. 14, 2010 at 9:10 pm:
I am soo sorry! But I do not understand this. It was beautiful, really it was. But I don't understand Lily's perspective. Could anyone explain?

PoetLaureate07 replied...
May 19, 2010 at 10:33 pm :
i agree... does he love her because of something bad?? maybe he dont love her for anything but her body... she dont love him.. i got tht much... but please explain...

roknroll said...
Feb. 20, 2010 at 3:58 pm:
Beautiful, i love the way you started it

mads942 This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Extremely unconventional, well-written, and gorgeous! Wow!

fyreflies replied...
Feb. 20, 2010 at 8:59 am :
WHOA!!!!! wow. Totally amazing.

lily1411 said...
loved this:) one of the best, and i admire how you got all of that from a painting...I also enjoy paintings, i think I know the one youre talking bout

FlamingTaco1479 said...
I love this. I love the subject matter and I love the imagery and I love the characters. You are phenominal.