What Matters Most

I didn’t care. Really, and truly, if you had asked if I cared, I might have said “Do what you want; I’m not your Boy Scout leader. I don’t care”. And maybe, maybe you would have gently pulled my face up to yours and read the lie that was plainly written all over my face. And maybe you would have been able to see the heart wrenching pain in my eyes; bursting with tears that refused to be shed. And maybe you would have said “Butterfly, don’t cry I will always be there. I promise.” And lift me up so I could kiss you, because, of course, I can’t reach all the way up those basketball legs. The kiss would be brief and sweet, your way of reassuring me that all would be right in the world. You’ll see.

Of course, you didn’t do any of those things before you went off to “serve your country” and “be a man” and give everyone “life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness.” But what about my happiness? What about that? Didn’t that matter to you at all? But I suppose that I should try to be fair. You did write a note to me. It has a lot of letters from the alphabet that piece together a message about why you did this. But I don’t care about that part- I care about the part that reads “I love you; you are my angel from heaven above.”

And the part about this that makes me want to hide from my grief and pain, is how I’ll never get to say it back to you.

idkitsmicah said...
that was actually beautiful. i read a lot of stories on this site and i didn't prefer any, but that was pretty amazing. 

The~crayon~in~my~heart replied...
thanks! i try o be origional, but it just seems like everything out there is already written...ah well

limwen17 said...
Actually, the last few lines are pretty good. i think it's sad, but achingly sweet. You know? Very good!

The~crayon~in~my~heart said...
thanks so much for the comments people! i think its okay, but those last lines could definatly be better- any suggestions???? i  would love them

lauraea23 said...
aww. this is so sad but its really sweet... I love it.

The~crayon~in~my~heart said...
really? i havent seen it but i hear that  its good

MissFaber said...
Mar. 27, 2010 at 8:57 am
awwwww.  that reminded me of "dear john" :)

Saysh said...
Short, sweet, simple, and sad. :( Great writing! You can really feel the emotion!

alwayswriting14 said...
So sad... but really good- keep up the work.

^megan:) said...
this is really good!! kepp it up :)

Johaa said...
Oh my god!
'sniff sniff'
Made my eyes fill up with tears. Amazing. This is perfect. So much, expressed in a few words!

fictionluver said...
omg this was a VERY good story, i was reading it in school and my eyes got all teary it wa great keep it up!! <3

The~crayon~in~my~heart said...
Jan. 30, 2010 at 9:13 am
thank you everyone for posting stuff and keeping my writing going!!!!! im thankful that you liked it, i hope you read some other stuff of mine and rate it

lily1411 said...
short, sweet, heartwrenching, and i loved it! You're what the writing world needs!

pfeferminz said...
wow...i actually cried..really!....just WOW

Bbrat said...
Jan. 26, 2010 at 8:08 am
wow i loved it! i can relate. My boyfriend is going into the military... im afraid for him. but really awesome writing!

beautifulpeople said...
Literally made me cry! Great stuff(:

emmajumbilia said...
Wow I really loved this - it proves that so much can be said with only a few words.
I agree with Belma, I would love to read an expansion of this. :]

BelmaH said...
Jan. 6, 2010 at 8:56 am
It was filled with emotion, and thats a good thing. :)
i think it could be expanded out into a short story. it made me wonder about the characters and about their lives.

spartanwriter said...
It's short but memorable. You do a great job of getting the emotions across.

The~crayon~in~my~heart said...
thisis really not my best work, but it has the best feeling