First Crush | Teen Ink

First Crush

September 8th, 2005

The alarm screamed in her ears. Priya woke up and dreaded that it was the first day of school. She trudged to her bathroom and got ready. She looked in the mirror and studied her reflection. Thick rimmed glasses, dark hair tied back in a messy ponytail, darkish tint on her upper lip, same old style. To be quite honest she was the nerdiest girl in the whole 8th grade. But she didn’t care, I mean what was it to her? She would stick to her friend group and make it day by day in middle school. What could possibly go wrong?

September 15th, 2005

“Come volunteer with me!” Michelle said.
“what? why? Where? I already volunteer in the library!” Priya hastily replied
“Please I don’t want to volunteer for the director alone! I really just want her to like me so that I can get into NHS this year! PLEASE?!”
“fine fine I’ll do it with you “ Priya replied
“Thanks so much! Tomorrow We’re going to start!”

September 16th, 2005

Priya walked to the room where she would be spending 1/2 of her lunch period everyday. She was going to be doing the usual. Sorting out papers blah blah blah. She entered the room and she saw the other volunteer. Evan. She knew him, and remembered that she had once done a class project with him. Whatever she thought. As she was pondering ways to avoid interaction with Evan, Mrs. Beck, the director of the National honor society and the woman the foursome would be working for, walked in the room and started to give instructions.

“ok you guys I want ya to sort through the information and put the papa’s in the folda’s based on subject and teacher listed, she commanded.

The threesome nodded their heads in unison and stared in horror at the mountain of paper worked that dominated the table.

“Ok well I guess Michelle and me will do the math for today and you can do spanish. Is that alright with you?” Priya stated.

“Why do I have to do spanish? The pile is way bigger! You two do it!” Evan protested.

“Um no it’s not. It’s much smaller. Why do you think that I gave it to you?” Priya protested.

“ Whatever I want to sort out the math papers. Evan adamantly stated.

Priya was furious. She decided not to make a scene and let him have the math stack. She started to sort out the spanish papers furiously. She knew that it was going to be tough to get through 1/2 a lunch period every day with him.

November 1st, 2005

“What do you mean you can’t volunteer anymore?” Priya asked in despair.

“well Mrs. Beck told me that since I’m applying to Honor Society I can’t volunteer anymore.” Michelle explained.

“Why? That’ doesn’t make sense!” Priya replied

“It’s because the stuff that you guys are going to be sorting out will be all the Honor Society applications, and she doesn’t want me to see the recommendations.” Michelle replied.

“Now what am I supposed to do? I quit volunteering at the library because we volunteered for Mrs. Beck together!” Priya replied indignantly

“You don’t have to quit”

“But now I’m alone with Evan. Great” Priya sighed and stared at her lunch tray. She disposed the contents and walked slowly to the room. Se finally reached the room and turned the door knob hesitantly.

“Hey Evan, Michelle can’t volunteer anymore, so it’s just you and me”

“Oh...ok.” He replied nonchalantly, “I just got started on the History pile. Go get the container on top of the cabinet. “
Priya climbed the step ladder to get to the top of the cabinet, but she couldn’t quite reach.

“Hey can you help me out Evan?” 
Evan came over but he accidently hit the step ladder that Priya was standing on, and she fell on top of him. Good thing the floor was carpeted because they went down hard. She started to get off of him when they locked eyes. Suddenly she felt super conscious. Are his hands on my back? She thought. “Oh my god how’s my breath? Does he want me to get off? I should probably get up.”
“I’m so sorry” Priya hesitantly said.
She hastily got up. For the remainder of the period they both kept quiet. When the bell rang she ran out as fast as she could. All day all she could think about was him. She couldn’t stop thinking about his dark eyes. She dreamed that they were these chasms she was falling into and at the end she would fall into his arms. She had fallen for him, and she could not help herself.

December 1st, 2005

Priya had spent the last month obsessing over Evan. Instead of doing homework, she wrote long entries about him in her diary. Instead of spending time with her family, she would sit in her bed and listen to love songs and fantasize about him. She would get up extra early in the morning and would spend hours on her outfit and her hair. Her life was all about Evan, and the one special thing they shared, a facade of disgust for one another.

Evan and Priya would bicker all of the time during their service. They would fight over the most mundane of things, such as which baseball team was the best or who had to organize the filing cabinet. Priya saw his constant bickering as flirting. To her, any attention was better than no attention. She would catch him looking at her in math class, and would swoon on the inside. Anytime she had the chance to talk to him she did. She didn’t notice any disdain in his voice. She knew that he liked her too and that her feelings could not have stemmed out of nowhere.

Dear Diary,

Tomorrow is Valentine’s Day a.k.a the perfect opportunity to tell Evan how I feel. I need to tell him that his eyes make my heart skip a beat, that his touch makes me forget how to breathe, that the sight of him makes my palms sweaty and my mouth dry. Does he already know? Does he already know that everyday the 1/2 of a lunch period I get to spend with him is the highlight of my day? Does he already know that since that day he is all that I can think of? Does he feel the same way? Wow just the thought of us together makes me heart beat faster. So I’m going to go for now. Bye ! :]
Love Always, Priya

Priya closed her diary and hid it in between her old math and social studies binders. She changed into her pink pajamas and set her alarm for 5:30 AM, an hour earlier than she usually got up. She put a small envelope inside of her backpack and crawled into bed smiling.

February 14th, 2006
5:30 AM

The buzz of the alarm woke Priya up instantly. She hopped out of bed excited and smiling. She stormed to her closet and picked out an outfit consisting of a pink top, a pair of skinny jeans, a heart necklace, and some black flats. She got ready for school and studied her reflection. She had her long dark hair in beautiful curls, there was no more unwanted facial hair or glasses, and her mascara accentuated her beautiful brown eyes. She grabbed her backpack and stormed out of the house.
7:30 AM

Priya had gotten to school early and went to find Evan’s locker. She located locker number 537 and jammed the envelope inside. She breathed a sigh of relief and walked to her first class.
12:30 PM

It was lunchtime and Priya ate her food as fast as she could. Her heart was beating a million miles an hour and her palms were wet with sweat. She had half a mind to skip seeing Evan, but worked up the courage to go. She took a deep breath and started to walk toward the room. She finally got there and saw Evan inside.
“Hey Evan”, she said, “what’s up?”
Evan Stared at her for a good 10 minutes. He finally responded.
“Meet me by the big tree behind the school at 3. I have something to do and it involves you.”
“Ok!” Priya replied. “This is it”, she thought. It’s finally going to be our moment together.”
3:00 PM

The last bell had just rung and Priya rushed out. She went to the bathroom and reapplied her lipgloss and mascara. She sprayed some breath spray into her mouth just in case. She speed walked to the tree smiling and then she saw him.
“Hey Evan! You said you wanted see me here?”
“Yea I wanted to thank you for the 2 box seat Mets tickets you gave me. I also wanted to show you someone.” He gestured to the corner and Priya saw her. She was probably as beautiful as a 13 year old girl could be. She was blonde,blue eyed, tall, and chesty. She walked over to Evan and they started to kiss.

Priya could feel her heart breaking. She could feel the pain engulfing her and the tears coming out. Her brain was screaming at her to run, but somehow her legs stayed frozen. Evan and the girl sopped kissing.
“Why are you still here? Can’t you take a hint that I don’t like you? Why would I like you when I can have someone like Jessica? So I’m going to leave and I would like you to stop following me ok? Oh, and here’s that pathetic note you gave me”
He crumbled and threw the note at her and left with Jessica. She fell to the ground and took the note. She clenched the note in her fist and let her heart break

trblue GOLD said...
on Oct. 11 2010 at 8:29 am
trblue GOLD, Richmond, Virginia

"Too often we lose sight of life's simple pleasures. Remember, when someone annoys you, it takes 42 muscles in your face to frown. It only takes 4 muscles to extend your arm and slap that mother@#?!&* upside the head. "

over the summer i pulled some teenink stuff off the internet, and this pice of work was decided. hott doggie this was realistic. i felt bad when i finished reading this. my first crush lasted 10 yr. and i staring to let go. i didnt realize that girls really get hurt this way. GIRL POWER!!!!!!!!!!   :) to all the broken heart, but we r strong.

deus-ex-machina14 BRONZE, Stewartsville, New Jersey

"There are two main tragedies in life. One is not getting what one wants, and the other is getting it." -Oscar Wilde

Awh, I'm sorry! But hey, one of the rites of passage of women. Happens to everyone:)

SamiLynn PLATINUM, Anthem, Arizona

"The unexamined life is not worth living." ~Socrates

This is amazing! I fell hard for a guy this year and he didn't especially like me but kept spending time with me... I never did know whether or not he ever did...

teenbookworm14 PLATINUM, Plainfield, Connecticut

"Nothing gold can stay" -Robert Frost

aww this is so sad :( i really liked it, many can relate to this, amazing job! keep writing!

SimplyRachel PLATINUM, Charlotte, North Carolina

"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery and today is a gift, that's why we call it the present."
~Unknown
"Things change, friends leave, and life doesn't stop for anybody."
~Stepgen Chbosky

That happened to me before. I never understood why he couldnt see it was me not her.

converse94 said...

Wow, this article is so sad! love can be so dissapointing!

great work.

I totally agree with lyssa28. Guys can be so blind to what they have in front of them, such idiots sometimes. They think other girls who may be better looking are there for them more than a girl who really likes them will ever be. So dumb. Great job!!

lyssa28 BRONZE said...
lyssa28 BRONZE, Las Vegas, Nevada
This completely proves that guys can be total jerks. I LOVED it, and it happens alot too. evan is such a A**

addicted1997 BRONZE, Brooklyn, New York

If you love something, srt it free. If they come back, it was meant to be. If they dont, they were never yours in the first place.

WOW!! I loved this piece! It is amazing and filled ith true raw emotions any teenage girl can feel and experience! I loved it! And can you check out my works if you have a minute, please!

OfficialApprover PLATINUM, Orefield, Pennsylvania

Grab life by the balls. -Slobberknocker
We cannot change the cards we're dealt just how we play the hand
Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted
It's pretty easy to be smart when you're parroting smart people
-Randy Pausch

That was a great story, and I totally agree with cafelene.  Very interesting ending.  Just watch your words, and try not to repeat them so much.

~Unknown
~Stepgen Chbosky

Me too! The same exact thing, and he was my best friend too. But we're still friends.

on Jun. 2 2010 at 12:58 am
theantoniagomez BRONZE, Saint Louis, Missouri

"Music can change the world because music can change people." -Bono
"Education is learning what you didn't even know you didn't know."-Daniel J. Boorstin
"Whatever you are, be good at it."- Abe Lincoln.

I liked it, but I agree. the ending was a tad offf.

chartothalatte GOLD, Cleveland Heights, Ohio
happened to me. except the guy was y best friend. know exactly how you she felt.

on May. 11 2010 at 12:21 am
weebnini DIAMOND, San Diego, California

"Done & Over"

"Anyone can give up, it's the easiest thing in the world to do. But to hold it together when everyone else would understand if you fell apart, that's true strength."

"People should be able to say how they feel. How they really feel. Not, you know, some words that some strangers put in their mouth."

evan is a u-kno-wat (it starts w/ an 'a') lol. but otherwise it was cool and believable. I mean u can totally c it happen to a girl. it was cool~

xLoVeLyCuTiEe428x PLATINUM, Nanuet, New York

"To me, Fearless is not the absense of fear. It's not being completely unafraid. To me, Fearless is having fears. Fearless is having doubts. Lots of them. To me, Fearless is living in spite of those things that scare you to death."
— Taylor Swift

This piece is really cute...

...But the punctuation and grammatical errors take away from the great story line.

The article was good, however. I loved the twist at the end.. even though I thought Evan was such a jerk.

writergirl13 GOLD, Cherry Hill, New Jersey

All are lunatics, but he who can analyze his delusions is called a philosopher.
Ambrose Bierce

Oops! sorry, accidentally got posted twice!

Ambrose Bierce

I love this piece!!!!!!!!!!!! i actually thought they'd end up together, but then he just went and crushed her like that!!! what a jerk! but that's exactly why i always say that dating before 11th, twelfth grade, or college is pointless, because this is exactly what's going to happen. (But then I'm also weird because i'm a hopeless romantic, so yeah, i still love this piece! :) ) Please check out some of my work, that'd be greatly appreciated! :)      

-- V. :)         

socrprncss12 SILVER, Weslaco, Texas

With God, Anything is Possible

OMG loved the story.for a second there i thought priya and evan would end up together.nice twist at the end even though evan was a big jerk.

Green8a8 SILVER, NY, New York

im the author of my life, unfortunately im writing in pen therefore i can't erase nothing about it.-by some crazy friend of mine

wow this was siriously painful lol

it was great great awesome

my heart broke a little int he ending

but u seriously like ur article

Amanda Fox BRONZE, Naples, Florida
The end did not make sense whatsoever.