Broken Promises | Teen Ink

Broken Promises

August 3, 2009
By Anonymous

Kaitlynn was aware of a blinking red light out of the corner of her eye. She reached and pushed the play button on her answering machine. Her moms voice filled the silence.


“ Hey honey, just wanted to confirm your flight time, 5:30 is right, right? Call me back when you get a chance. I will be up even if it is late. I have to work on my book some more. See you in a few weeks. Love you.”


Jamie looked at her with a questioning look on his beautiful face.


“What does she mean by that? Plane tickets? How long are you going to be gone?” Kaitlynn looked down. Jamie had no clue that she was going to be leaving she had never told him. But then again they don’t talk all that much anymore.


“Well I, um, I was-“ She did not know how to tell him that she was, or was planning to leave for home at the end of the month. She had just recently put her plan into action.


“You were…” Jamie prompted her.


“Well, I am, or thinking about,” She took a deep breath,


“I am planning to leave for home at the end of the month. Living here has not been what I though it would be like.” There she said it. Jamie just looked at her.


‘You have been planning to leave and you did not tell me till now? Does Misty know?” Jamie said, Kaitlynn saw hurt in his eyes.


“No, at this point you are the only one who knows.” Kaitlynn could not bring herself to look in his eyes.


“It just hurts to much to stay here. And I am kinda missing my mom, the only real reason I came here was to spend time with my dad, and he is not even calling me. I also came to visit you, but before last night we weren’t really doing much together. I just did not think it would be a big deal if I left. But after last night…
Well I am really torn on what I should do.” Kaitlynn now looked at Jamie. He was studying her expression.


“You still want to go?” He asked her.


“In a way yes, I miss my mom and I already told her I was coming home, and she is really excited. I don’t really know what I want right now, Jamie. It is all very confusing,” She finished. Jamie had stepped closer to her. She could feel his breath, warm on her face. Kaitlynn had meant to just glance in at his face to see what his reaction was to all this news, but once she looked, she could not tear her gaze away.



"So ,I take it I would not be able to talk you out of leaving. Is that right?" Jamie asked staring straight into her eyes.



"I- I- don't know-" Kaitlynn stuttered.



"Hmmmm... Well maybe this will do the trick-" Jamie closed the distance between them. His lips, soft and warm, met hers and Kaitlynn's heart literally skipped a beat or two. Her eyes fluttered shut. Jamie wrapped his arms around her waist and lifted her up off the floor. He set her on top on the counter. Kaitlynn was only faintly aware of this. She began to kiss him back. And as if her arms had a life of there own, they slowly slid around his neck. Jamie tugged her closer, to the edge of the counter. Her legs wound around him, pulling him even closer now. Jamie and Kaitlynn kissed until neither of them could breath, then when they caught there breath they kissed some more. They kissed for who knows how long. And finally they had to stop, do to lack of air. Both were breathing hard, as Kaitlynn rested her head on his shoulder. She focused on taking deep breaths. Tried to steady herself, she squeezed her eyes shut, trying to make the room stop spinning. The only sound in the whole room was the sound of there breathing. Kaitlynn unwrapped her legs from around him but left her arms were they were, comfortably around his neck. She could not help from letting a sigh escape her. That was perfect in every possible away. It was amazing actually. She felt Jamies hot breath blow across her face when he softly said,



"Please stay,"







*
*

*

*

*
*


When Kaitlynn woke up the first thing she noticed was how she was in her bed, and there was a note on her bedside table, along with a blinking answereing machine. She picked up the note and infolded it.


Hey, I had to leave to go and print off a few pages of my bio-paper, I am going to drop it off early tomorrow, after that maybe we can hang out. I really hope we can, I think we should talk some more to. In person. It's easier that way.







-Jamie
Kaitlynn reread the note again and again. She then she pressed the Play button on the machine.


“Just calling to see if you are awake.” Jamie’s voice made Kaitlynn’s heart jump, and then beat wildly. She looked at the clock, 11:47. Wow she slept in longer than she normally would. She looked back at the phone; he called just an hour ago. Quickly she grabbed a towel and jumped into the shower, just as the phone rang again. Kaitlynn did not hear it though. The answering machine picked up and Misty’s voice came over it.


“Hey, what happened last night?! I just remember Jamie, you and I and a party.”
How did you get home? Did Jamie take you, are you at Jamie’s house right now. Kaitlynn were are you?! Call me as soon as you get this.” Beep, the message was saved.


Kaitlynn took a quick shower and then climbed out and got dressed. She dried her hair and threw on some makeup. Kaitlynn just happened to glance at her night stand and saw her phone lighting up. She picked it up and saw that she had about six missed calls. All of them but one was Misty. She groaned. The one that was not Misty was Jamie, Jamie. Kaitlynn thought. He really wanted to talk to her. She sat down on her bed and pressed the call button. One, two, three rings…


‘Hey Kaitlynn, I was wondering when you’d wake up.” Jamie’s voice greeted her. She smiled a wide smile. Just then her phone beeped. Kaitlynn pulled the phone from her ear to glance at the ID. Misty. Kaitlynn let out an exaggerated groan. And put the phone back to her ear.


“What’s up?” Jamie asked her.


“Misty will not leave me alone. It is really annoying.” Jamie chuckled. She heard a car horn in the back ground just then.


“I am not to good at this driving and talking on the phone thing. Here I got a plan, why don’t I come and pick you up and we can hang out for a while?” Kaitlynn tried to ignore the beeping in her ear and focused on the sound of Jamie’s voice.


“Um, ya sure. But don’t you work today?” She asked him, she was sure he did.


“I took the day off, I wanted to hang out with you,” He answered.


“What if I said no,” She asked him.


“I knew you wouldn’t say no,” He said sure of himself.
Kaitlynn smiled to herself.


“Alright well I guess your right.”


“I am always right,” Jamie said. Kaitlynn didn’t doubt it for a minute.


“I will be there in about three minutes.”


“Okay, I will see you then. Bye.” Kaitlynn said into the phone. Jamie said bye and they hung up. Kaitlynn fell back on her bed and stared at the ceiling, she sighed. Just then her phone started to ring. With another groan Kaitlynn picked it up, Misty never gave up.


The author's comments:
I enjoy writing but keep most of my stories seceret. I guess ifs because I am afraid people will not like it, or they will lie so as to not hurt my feelings. I am gaining courage as time goes on thanks to Teen Ink though! Thank you Teen Ink!