The Last Kiss...Not a Chance | Teen Ink

The Last Kiss...Not a Chance

By Jared09 BRONZE, Glade Spring, Virginia
Jared09 BRONZE, Glade Spring, Virginia

Allen and Becky sit on a bench outside of the mall he looks at her with a smile on his face. Her hair is blond and she’s got bright blue eyes, her body is slim and well let’s face it she’s f***ing hot. His hair a dull blond, he’s got sun glasses raised up from his eyes resting on his head. He smiles at Becky and grabs her hand. He brings her hand up to his lips and gives a small peck on her finger. She moves her head to lay it on his shoulder and she grabs his hand and they sit there and for about another ten minutes. They finally get up off the bench allowing surrounding people the option of sitting on it. They walk back to his car and he takes her home to drop her off. He makes his way back to his house and when he gets there he goes up to his room and calls pushes number one on his house phone to speed dial Becky’s number as he lies down on the bed.

They talk for about an hour, after they both fall asleep around ten and ten thirty. The next day Allen wakes up and he looks out his window, it’s rainy and he hates rainy days. He shuts his curtains in his room so he doesn’t have to see it before required. He and Becky had planned on going out to the park but their plans had changed do to the weather. He figured they’d hang out at her house or come back to his. He goes and takes a shower and gets dressed and quickly runs to his car and drives to Becky’s house. When he pulls in the driveway, Becky is already on the porch waiting, he hopes she doesn’t still plan on going to the park. She quickly gets in the car and she says,

“Hey, what do you want to do today? We can’t go to the park.”

“I know I’m pissed about that.”

“It’s okay. We can to Seattle for the day if you want. It’s actually pretty up there.”

“Okay, that sounds good to me.”

Seattle was only about five miles away from where they lived. Allen drove from Becky’s house to Seattle and sure enough when they got there the sun was shining and temperature had almost hit eighty. He parked his car next to a music shop and they walked up and down the street going in many of the shops that were there, by 5 o’clock Allen had to help Becky carry all the bags with the things she bought in them. When they walked out of the final store the rain finally hit there. The temperature had dropped a little bit but the rain was freezing. Allen turns to Beck and says,

“Go back inside and I’ll drive up here and get you.”

“Are you sure?” She asked and he nodded pushing her toward the door of the store. He ran across the street and down it toward the music store they had parked beside. The traffic had calmed down from earlier and he was able to get to that store and pick her up pretty quickly. He began to drive home. On the road back the wind had picked up and the rain had started falling harder. He had his windshield wipers on high and they were beating the car as they tried to keep up with the rain fall. He could barely see anything. He was coming upon a four way intersection and he couldn’t see that the light was red. He continued on a truck came out from the left and hit his car at full force killing Allen instantly. Becky woke up in the hospital her eye sight is a little blurry but she can make out the woman who is standing above her,

“Becky, honey are you awake?”

She attempts to say something but cant; she then tries to shake her head but the searing pain in her neck keeps her from doing so, she opens her eyes wider to let her mom know that she is okay. Her eye sight was starting to clear up and she saw that her mom has been crying and now she’s smiling a bit, she remembers what happened, the car accident. Her voice returns with fear,

“Where’s Allen?”

Allen standing behind her mother walks to her side and says,
“I’m right here baby.”
She lifts up ignoring the pain in her neck, her mom’s smile faded and she rested her hand on Becky’s shoulder,

“He didn’t make it.” Her mom started crying again, as Allen looked at her and said in a yell,
“What?”
She pulled Becky into her arms expecting her to begin cry but Becky was so stunned her tear ducts were frozen. The physical pain had been replaced with inner pain. She couldn’t speak, she couldn’t move. Allen stood beside her not believe that he is dead. When she got to go home, she just moped around the house; well she actually just moped in her bed, crying her eyes out all night and day. Allen stayed in her bedroom while he cried; he still couldn’t believe that he was dead. She finally had to start going to school. Allen didn’t follow her. He went walking down the street a man walked in front of him and said,
“Excuse me!” and he continued walking, Allen said,
“Sorry.” Allen then realized that man had been talking to him and he ran to the guy and said,
“Hey!” the guy turned around and looked at him and said,
“Yes?”
“Can you see me?”
The guy looked around and saw that no one was there to hear the crazy question so he answered,
“Um, yes.”
“But how, I’m dead!”
“Sir, you’re very much alive.” The man went to pat Allen on the should and his hand went right through his body, the man looked at Allen in horror but didn’t run he just said,
“You really are? How am I seeing you then? You’re a ghost!”

“I know I’m glad you can see me though, I need your help.”

“What? I can’t help a ghost I already think I’m crazy!”

“Please, I need you too.”

“No I’m sorry. Please leave me alone.”

The man walked away from Allen leaving him alone in the street. Allen went back to Becky’s house and waited on her. When she came in she went straight up to her room and lay on the bed and cried, Allen lies down on the bed beside her and turned over on his side so he could watch her. Becky’s mom came in the room and said,

“Becky, honey.”
Becky sat up and looked at her mother with red puffy eyes. Her mom walked in the room and closed the door behind her. She walked over and sat down on the bed and put her hand on Becky’s should and she said,
“Do you want to talk about it? You haven’t spoken to your father and me since.”
“Mom, I don’t know what to do, I can’t move on.”
“Honey, now I’m not saying that you’ll stop loving him but you will find a place in your heart somewhere, so that someone else can enter.”
“I can’t, I can’t say good bye to him.”
Allen sits up on the bed and listens to Becky and her mothers conversation,
“I didn’t get to tell him I love him.”
“Honey I’m sure he knows you do.”
“I do know I really do.” Allen said with desperation but he was unheard,

“How do I know that? How do I know that he knew I loved him?”

“Allen was a good boy Becky, and he wasn’t stupid. He knew how you felt about him and I guarantee he’s looking down on us right now wishing he could tell you that he knew.”

“I wish he’d find a way.”

Allen’s eyes had formed tears now and he made a decision that guy who could see him, he was going to help him. Whether he wanted to or not. Allen got up and left the room walking right through walls he exited the house and walked down the street, he looked around and he saw the guy coming out of an apartment building, the guy looked across the street and saw him standing there, he knew this would happen.

That guy walked across the street and stood there talking to him and said,

“What do you want now?”

“I need your help!”

“It’s not my job to help ghosts okay.”

“What is your job then?”

“I’m an accountant. I don’t do dead people.”

The guy began to walk away and Allen followed him and said,

“Well that doesn’t mean you can’t help me.”

“Leave me alone.”

“Please. I’m begging you.”

The guy sighs and then turns to Allen and says,

“What do you need help with?”

“Thank you.”

“I haven’t said yes, I just want to know what the hell you want.”

“I need you to get a message to someone for me.”

“A message?”

“Yes, a girl. I died in a car accident and she was with me, she feels horrible about it. I just need you to let her know that I’m glad it was me instead of her.”

“Oh that sounds romantic!”

“I’m not trying to win her back I’m dead, I just need to let her know that I love her.”

“I don’t see why I have to do it!”

“The fact that I’m dead and she can’t see me and you can is a good enough reason isn’t it?”

“Not really, I don’t know either of you!”

“Do you have a girlfriend or wife or anything?”

“No, and I plan to keep it that way girls are nothing but trouble.”

“Well what if you did? What if you could wake up every morning and know that there was someone thinking of you every second of every day? What if you felt loved?”

The guy didn’t know how to answer this question, but Allen knew that he was thinking about it,

“What if that was all taken away from you because of an accident? Wouldn’t you want someone to let you know that it was okay?”

The stranger looks at Allen with a remorse look and he says,

“Well I guess but I’m not sure I will be able to.”

“Just try that’s all I’m asking. You’re my only hope.”

“I’ll try…” He looks at his watch and continues, “But right now I’m going to try and make it to work on time.”

“I’ll meet you here afterward.”

“Alright.”

Allen lets the guy walk away from him and he goes back to Becky’s house and sees that she is packing some things into a box while crying. He walks over to where she is sitting and he sees a picture frame, with a picture that has him and her in it. He wants to cry but he can’t. The box is full of things that he gave her. His heart drops and he feels the pain that she is feeling for a split second then it all goes away the pain everything. He doesn’t feel anything. His heart has gone cold. Becky’s mom comes into her bed room and sees that Becky is putting some things in a box, she walks over to her and says,

“What are you doing?”

Becky looks up at her and her eyes are watery,

“It hurts to look at these things. I can’t keep them.”

“What do you mean? You’re throwing them out.”

“I have to mom, I can’t deal with this.”

Her mom looks down at her and feels her heartbreak and then says,

“Here honey, let me throw it out for you, okay? I’ll get rid of it.”

“Thanks mom.”

“I love you sweetie I just want to see you happy again.”

Her mom bends over and picks up the box and walks out carrying it. Allen follows her and she places the box in the hall closet behind all the clothing. She walks into her bed and Allen follows again, she sits on the edge of the bed and begins to cry. Allen walks out of the bedroom hoping that the other guy can fix it. He walks down the street back to where that guy’s apartment is located. He walks into the apartment and waits. When the guy gets home, he is walking through the living room in the dark with a bag of groceries and he hears Allen say,

“What’s your name?”

He jumps and quickly flips the light on and sees Allen and then say while catching his breath,

“Jasper, what’s yours?”

“Allen. Are you going to help me now?”

“Um…yes I am just let me put the groceries away.”

Allen walks into the kitchen behind Jasper and watches him pull out the groceries. Jasper then turns to Allen and holds up a cross and throws holy water at him and starts to say some scriptures from the Bible. Allen stands in his spot looking at Jasper with a questioned face,

“What the hell are you doing?”

Jasper stopped what he was doing and said,

“I’m trying to help you; I’m trying to exercise you to the after life.”

“I’m not a demon or a possessed soul. I’m a ghost and I have unfinished business.”

“Sorry, I tried.”

“Thanks for the effort now down to the real deal. Tomorrow I want you casually walk up to her mother.”

“You’re getting the parents involved I’ll get arrested.”

“No you won’t. Just please don’t start getting all paranoid.”

“I’ll try.”

“Good.”

Allen tells him what he’s going to do and he agrees he’s just going to talk to her casually and he’s going to try and make conversation. Allen then leaves to watch Becky again. When he returns the next morning to Jaspers, Jasper is already awake and ready,

“Okay, she’s going to the grocery store.”

“Alright. Do I look okay? I’ve never done this before.”

“Believe me; I don’t think you’re the only one who hasn’t spoken to other people for a ghost.”

“Thanks that’s…kind of helpful.”

“I try.”

Jasper goes outside and begins to walk to the grocery store, Allen follows and when they reach there Allen identifies her car so he knows she’s here. When they enter the store they walk around until they find her she’s in the dairy section. Jasper begins looking at the biscuits which is located directly beside her. He looks over at her and says,

“I’m sorry can you help me out?”

She looks at him with confusion and then says,

“I can try, what do you need to know?”

Jasper hesitates and Allen says,

“Ask her what the difference between flaky and regular biscuits is.”

“What’s the difference between flaky biscuits and regular?”

“Well flaky is more…well flaky they peel apart easier than regular.”

“Oh well that make since, they flake apart.” Jasper laughs at his own joke, she doesn’t think it’s funny he says,

“My friends had a death in the family and I want to make them something…to show my condolences. I’m not sure if biscuits will do it though.”

“Oh, I’m sorry to hear that. Biscuits will be fine if that’s something you know how to cook.”

He looks at her and says,

“Oh, I have to cook them? Well they are out of the question then.”

“What did you expect you’d have to do?”

“Well…I was just going to buy the can of biscuits and give them to them.”

She laughs and says,

“We really shouldn’t be laughing, but you’re funny. My daughter’s boyfriend just passed away and she’s having a hard time dealing with it.”

“Oh, really? That’s terrible. That really is.”

“Yeah, she’s afraid that he didn’t know she loved him.”

Allen stands beside Jasper wanting to speak but knows if he does Jasper would be the only one who heard him. Allen stands beside Jasper and looks at Becky’s mom and he feels sad he hates that his death is doing this to the family that took him in the family that treated him better than his own family did. He hears Jasper say,

“He did.”

“I know that and so does she, it’s the just the whole he’s not here for her to tell him thing.”

“Ah yes, that would make me feel a bit horrible as well.”

“Yeah.”

He looks down at the biscuits he’d picked up and he says,

“This might sound a little crazy but was his name Allen?”

She looks up at him with confusion and says,

“Did you know him?”

“I do know him.”

“What are you talking about?”

“He’s actually standing right here, right beside me. He’s a ghost and he wants to get the message to her.”

She looks at him and her expression is a bit angry and she says,

“Well I’m glad you think this is a joke.”

Allen says,

“You shouldn’t have said that.”

“I don’t think it is a joke. Gosh no. It’s no joke. I’m not laughing.”

“Probably will be when I walk away.”

“Ma’am I know you don’t believe me but it’s true. He really is right here.”

“I’m sorry mister but I stopped believing in ghost stories when I was five.”

She leaves her shopping cart and walks out of the store.

“You f***ing idiot! You messed up!”

“I was trying to get it over with.”

“This will take time.”

“I don’t have time! I’m not meant to help the dead!” Jasper yelled this and he looked around at the people surrounding him, he forgot that they couldn’t see Allen and he walked away. Feeling embarrassed. Allen followed him out and told him,

“I’m going to her house, I’ll be back tomorrow.”

“Don’t! I’m done! Figure it out yourself!”

“I can’t!”

“Then get over it!”

The guy walks away and Allen watches as he leaves. He knows he’s on his own now. He gets to Becky’s house and he goes up to her room where she is lying on the bed again. He walks over to her and he leans over her and he whispers,

“I’m so sorry baby. I wish I could let you see that it’s not your fault.”

The lights flicker in the room and he looks around, Becky then lifts her head and looks around as well. Allen stands from the bed and watches Becky as she gets up off the bed and yells downstairs,

“Dad!” and she shut the door. He walks in and he looks directly at Allen and a face of confusion is on his face. Allen notices the confusion and he knows that he can see him.

“Bill!” Allen said and Bill looked at him. He then looks at Becky and says,

“What is it honey?”

“The lights are flickering is there something wrong with the breaker?”

“I’ll check.”

Bill walks out of the room glancing at Allen once more. Allen leaves the bed room and follows Bill down to the basement when they arrive down there Allen says,

“Bill can you see me?”

Bill is already looking at the breaker box and he says,

“Yes, why are you still here?”

“I don’t know. I need to let Becky know that I’m not mad at her.”

“Yeah you should. So she can move on.”

“Do you think you could let her know?”

“Maybe but it wont help. Her mother has been telling her that since it happened.”

“I know.”

“You made those lights flicker, didn’t you?”

“I don’t think so.”

“Well there is nothing wrong with the breaker.”

“Short in the wire?”

“No they are new. I’ve read up on ghost mythology your emotions can cause things to happen.”

“Like make the lights flicker.”

“Happens all the time in movies.”

“This isn’t a movie.”

“Kid everything’s a movie.”

Bill walks out of the basement leaving Allen to think.

Allen goes back upstairs to Becky’s room and he lies down beside her again. He leans over her and he places his hand above her cheek. She feels a small breeze and brings her hand up to touch her face and for a split second Allen feels her solid hand and then it slides right through her. She didn’t even feel the solid hand but he did.

He wishes he could have kept it that way. He backs away from the bed and sits in a chair that is in the corner next to the window. Allen looks out of the window down to the road. He notices that the road looks wet he motions his eyes to look at the window and sees that the window is dripping with water. He hadn’t even noticed it had started raining. Becky begins crying harder as the rain picks up. He knows what’s going through her mind. She’s remembering that day. Allen stands from the chair and walks back over to the bed. He leans over Becky and whispers in her ear,

“I wish you could hear me. I wish you could feel me.”

Becky gets a chill as he says his last line,

“I love you.”

He stands from the bed and walks out of the room. He walks down the stairs and sees Bill sitting in his chair in front of the television. Allen walks in and sits down on the couch, Bill looks at him and says,

“You can’t haunt her, her whole life.”

“I just want her to know that it wasn’t her fault and I still love her.”

“She knows.”

“Apparently not. She’s feeling guilty for not saying I love you before I died.”

“That’s normal. When someone close dies the person feels empty and ashamed…they think of what they didn’t say. It’s natural.”

“Well she shouldn’t have to deal with it.”

“No she shouldn’t, you shouldn’t have had to die. But it happens.”

“I need her to hear me.”

“How do you plan on doing that, unless you can make yourself corporeal again.”

I look at Bill with a curious look on my face and I wonder. What if I can? For a minute at least enough time to show her that I’m still here. But how?

Allen leaves the house without speaking to Bill any more. He runs down the street to where Jasper lived. He runs in the apartment and Jasper is lying on his bed still asleep. Allen looks at the clock on his wall and it reads 2:30, he walks over to the bed and yells,

“Jasper! Wake up!”

Jasper stirs a bit but he doesn’t move. Allen starts swinging his arms at Jasper his hands moving in and out of him. Allen is getting aggravated so he starts pulling on the mattress and to his surprise the mattress rises from the box spring and Jasper is thrown out of bed before Allen’s hands slide right through the mattress letting it fall back to place. Jasper looked up in horror and saw that it was Allen,

“How… How did you do that?”

Allen looks at the mattress and then back at Jasper and says,

“I’m not sure, that’s what I need your help with this time. I need to know how I done that.”

“How am I supposed to help?”

“You can do the research!”

“I suck at research I made a 4 on my research paper in college…4 wasn’t even possible to get.”

“Well you found a way to get it so you can find a way to see how I do that.”

“Oh my god you’re making my life miserable.”

“Your life isn’t miserable. Just think of how I feel. I’m dead.”

Jasper looked up at Allen and says,

“You’ve got a point there.”

“I know. Do you have a computer?”

“No I hate those damn things.”

“Then it’s to the library and it’ll be quicker to use the computer so you’re going to have to get over your weirdness.”

Jasper slowly starts to get ready and Allen tries to make him hurry. Jasper walked into the bathroom to change his cloths. He pulls his underwear off and Allen walks in and says,

“Will you please hurry?”

Jasper quickly threw his hands over his privates and started screaming,

“Will you please give a man some privacy, I mean my god kid.”

“Sorry, didn’t know you were so self conscious.”

“Well now you know thanks.”

“No problem.”

Allen walked out of the room and let Jasper continue changing. When Jasper exits the bathroom he looks at Allen with disgust and then they leave the apartment for the library. When they arrive at the library Jasper walks in and to everyone else in the room he’s alone but he’s got this bugging voice in his ear saying,

“Walk faster! Come on please hurry.”

He turns to Allen; to the people it’s to no one and screams,

“Will you shut up, we’re here!”

The people sitting around reading books and surfing the net all look at him, he looks at them and laughs,

“Bluetooth.”

They all turn back to what they were doing, seeming to be satisfied with his excuse. He walked over to a free computer that no one is sitting beside, he sits in the chair and then he whispers and says,

“What do I look for?”

“Well first you go to Google.”

Jasper navigated to google.com and then he waited for Allen’s next instruction,

“Type in, how a ghost can become corporeal.”

Jasper looked up at him and then typed what he said. A few websites came up and they sat there and started going through them trying to find a reliable source. Allen sat there eager to find the answer. He pointed to a link to tell Jasper to click it. Jasper clicks the link and Allen reads. This is it. Jasper looks around the library feeling a bit awkward from what he’s looking at. Jasper then looks back at Allen and sees that he’s smiling,

“What?”

Allen looked away from the computer for the first time and said,

“It makes since, all of it.”

“What makes since?”

“If I want it bad enough it’ll happen. But only for a short moment. Thirty seconds max.”

“Is that good?”

“It’s better than nothing I guess.”

“Why does this matter?”

“Because if I can control this and make it happen at the right moment then I’ll be able to tell Becky what I want without you or anyone else.”

“How you gonna touch her?”

“I don’t know what I’m going to do but it has to be something that will say what I want.”

“Well I’m glad I could help out. Are you done screwing up my life?”

“How have I screwed up your life? I haven’t had anything to do with your life.”

“Yeah because someone seeing a ghost and being scared into helping him is life changing. Your right.”

Jasper gets up and leaves the Library he then returns to close out the web page he was on so that the people around wouldn’t know then he leaves for good. Allen is okay with this he got the answer he was looking for. Now he just had to find a way to use it. He returns to Becky’s and Bill is now standing outside her door. Allen walks up and says,

“What are you doing?”

“She came down stairs and kissed me and said ‘I love you dad’ and she done the same thing to her mother. I don’t know what she’s doing in there but it can’t be good.”

Allen walks in and Becky is hanging from the ceiling her sheets were tied in double knots around the fan motor. Allen’s fear surged through him and he ran at her when he came in contact he felt her fall to the ground then he lost the feeling of her. She lays on the floor and begins coughing, when she opens her eyes she doesn’t see anyone, but she begins to cry.

“I just wanted to see him, I just wanted to let him know.”

Allen walks back over to her and he leans over her and he says knowing she can’t hear him,

“Baby, I know. You don’t have to join me. Not yet. It’s not time.” He feels his hand touch her skin and it’s solid. He looks at his hand and then on impulse he leans down and he kisses her lips. Her tears clear up but he holds the kiss as long as he can. When he falls through her he looks up at her with hope. Becky’s hand is on her lips, she whispers behind her lips,

“Allen?”

Allen gets back on top of her and kisses her again, the solid feeling stayed longer this time, way longer than 30 seconds. As Allen kissed her he felt knew that she was catching on. He heard her in his head,

“Allen, baby. I love you. So much I miss you.”

He answers in his head,

“I know baby, I miss you too. But it’s not time for you to join me.”

“I can’t live without you.”

“You don’t have to baby, I’ll always be here.”

Becky feels a poke above her breast where her heart is.

“Allen please don’t leave me.”

“I’m not too far baby, just remember me and remember that I love you and it wasn’t your fault.”

“Allen please.”

“Live your life Becky, for me?”

Becky’s thoughts hesitated and then she thought,

“I love you Allen. Don’t forget me.”

“Don’t worry baby, this will not be our last kiss.”

The kiss broke and Allen disappeared from the room. Bill burst through the door and sees Becky lying on the floor breathing heavily. Bill rushes over to her and looks in her eyes,

“Becky, are you alright.”

Becky levels her breathing and then sits up and says,

“I’m doing better dad. Thanks.”

Becky continued living her life but she never forgot the last words that escaped Allen’s thoughts,

This will not be our last kiss. She was determined to make that so. She dated other guys but they never lasted long and she was never heart broken because she knew that the real love of her life was waiting patiently and wanted her to have fun with life.