Prince Charming and the Turtle Girl | Teen Ink

Prince Charming and the Turtle Girl

June 12, 2009
By Anonymous

I leaned up against the wall and waited for the subway to come speeding by. Besides the whistling of the subways and the clacking of feet, the station was fairly . I always believed twenty percent of Manhattan’s New York to party while the other eighty, myself included, came to be left alone, which is what you’ll get if you are introverted. New Yorkers are like honey bees: if you leave them alone, you won’t get stung.

The subway halted in front of me. I swiftly jumped on it and was about to search for a good standing spot until I made the nearly fatal decision of looking up. I stared right into the face of an angel. All the things I look for in a man’s appearance were there: brown eyes, “dirty blonde” hair, tall, and slender. But, it wasn’t just his good looks, he had an indescribable attitude that showed confidence, passion, and the out-going features you usually don’t see in New Yorkers.

He gave me a heart-stopping smile as his eyes scanned me over. I did what I thought was a small, friendly smile and quickly turned around. Suddenly, a mixture of Bob Dillon’s “Heart of Mine” and Taylor Swift’s “Love Story” pulsed in my head. I promised myself I wouldn’t get involved in another lovesick relationship. My last boyfriend kicked me to the curb so harshly that I promised myself I would keep all my thoughts on finishing with honors at NYU.

However, the thought of this guy hit me like a new York subway. So, I turned my back and tried my hardest to yield my emotions as well. The subway stopped and I was the first one off it.
“Hey, hey lady!” I turned around and saw him running towards me. “You left your purse.” he said. Betrayal my own handbag.
“Um… thanks.” I stuttered as I turned away.
“Wait! I’m having a Party Tonight before I go back to Chicago. Maybe you’d like to come.”

He handed me an invitation as if he were waiting for me. My eyes puzzled over it. “Do you often give people you don’t know invites to parties?” I said sarcastically. He smiled and asked me my name.
“It’s Krystal,” I told him.
“Well then, I’m Jon. See? Now we’re not strangers. Anyway, it’s a costume party so make sure you dress up.” He left me standing with a confused look on my face and a mystery for my brain.

After school, I dropped by “Sabrina’s” to search for a suitable costume. I had been daydreaming about the event all day long, so I wanted to make sure I looked hot. First, I asked for a Marilyn Monroe costume: sold out. Then, a Barbie outfit: sold out. Mermaid costume: sold out. Butterfly costume: sold out. Any type of cute animal: sold out. Hippie: sold out. Witch: sold out. Anything- that- looks- classy: sold out. So, while all the women at Jon’s party looked good, I came dressed in the only thing they had left in the store: a turtle costume.

I covered my face and hoped no one I knew saw me. “Krystal!” Jon ran over to me. I looked up at him. “You made it!” he said excitedly. “And you look beautiful.” I stared at him like he was crazy. “Liar,” I sighed.
“No really. You look beautiful.” he came down to my level and kissed me on my cheek. Beautiful. I couldn’t remember the last time someone called me beautiful. Jon returned to hosting his party as I was suddenly speechless for the first time, and, also for the first time, I met Prince Charming.

And guess what? Jon didn’t go back to Chicago.