Defying Love This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

I didn't want to like him. He was just so charming.

This might sound like every other love story, and it may be, but it may not. If you don't read on, you'll never know.

My name is Emily Brown, which I've always been quite happy with. I think it makes me sound pleasant but ordinary, and I prefer to blend in. Now, I suppose it's only polite to tell you a bit about myself before I jump into my story. I am five feet, two inches, have brown hair that comes to my shoulders, and I am not talented in any special way. These are the basic facts of me, and I think these are all I ought to tell you.

His name was Andrew Rivers and he was perfectly wonderful in every way. When he first came to my school in twelfth grade, he was a bit eccentric and didn't fit in right away. He was into music and played the drums and the guitar, although he wasn't good at either. What he was good at was singing, and when he did, you wanted to cry and laugh and sing along with him all at once.

My name is Emily Brown and his was Andrew Rivers and I loved him.

About two months into my last year of high school, Andrew asked me out. I was surprised since I had hardly ever talked to him, but I didn't have a boyfriend, and I didn't know how to say no.

It may help you to know that at my school there were couples that were simply together for the name, and some that were together only to have a date for dances and for kissing and other such things. When Andrew asked me out I had no idea what his intentions were, and I didn't like having no idea. I'm by no means a confrontational person, but I was starting to feel offended that after I had said that I would date him, he hadn't said another word to me. So I went up to him and we had a little talk.

Me: “Hey, Andrew.”

Andrew: “Hey.”

Me: “So …”

Andrew: (annoyingly, nothing)

Me: “You asked me out.”

Andrew: (nothing again)

Me: “Why?”

Andrew: “Why'd I ask you out?”

Me: “Right.”

Andrew: “I felt like it.”

Me: (irritated) “You felt like it?”

Andrew: “That's what I said, isn't it?”

Me: (infuriated) “I'm sorry. Actually I'm not. I didn't realize you were such a jerk, and I don't want to go out with you anymore.” (I'd never dumped someone before, okay?)

Andrew: “Are you dumping me?”

Me: “What do you think?”

Andrew: “Why?”

Me: “I feel like it.”

Andrew: (smiling) “Do you like Chinese food?”

Me: “I hate it.”

Andrew: “You've never had it.”

Me: “How do you know?”

Andrew: (laughing) “I'm good at reading people.”

Me: “Well, obviously you suck, because I've had Chinese food a million times and I hated it every time.”

Andrew: “Would you like to go out with me tonight?”

Me: “You're asking me on a date?”

Andrew: “Yes.”

Me: “Read my answer.”

Andrew: “Wonderful! I'll see you tonight. Be ready by six. Ish. Sixish.”

I hated this strange boy who I'd only really talked to twice. He made me infuriated. The only problem was, I couldn't figure out if I liked that or not.

That night at sixish sharp, Andrew showed up at my doorstep. My parents have never been into meeting my boyfriends, but as I was stepping out, he stepped in. He walked right into the living room where my parents sat watching the baseball game.

When he came back out I asked, “What'd you say?”

“I told them I'd have you back by eight.”

“Ish?”

He laughed. “Nope. Just eight.”

We didn't talk much on the car ride. He had a CD playing that sounded kind of like Bob Marley, but I'd never heard the song before. It wasn't until we got there that I realized I didn't know where we were going. A small sign stood in front of the building but the name was too peeled away for me to be able to read it. What I could read was the sign beneath where the name should be, and it said, “The best Chinese cuisine for miles.”

“Chinese, huh?”

He smirked.

We walked inside and it was only then that I realized exactly how small the building was. There were little tables in the center of the room, about five of them, and a couch against one wall for sitting while you waited. As if. There was no waiting; we were the only customers. A sign read “PLEASE SEAT YOURSELF,” but I guess because of the lack of business, a waiter came over to seat us. He tried to show us to a table, but Andrew said, “Oh, no, thank you. We'll be sitting down here.”

He strolled over to the couch and at first I thought he wanted us to sit there, but then he grabbed two pillows and placed them on the ground a little way away from the tables.

I looked at him, baffled.

“Authenticity,” he said, smiling. He was always smiling.

I, personally, couldn't see how sitting on the floor was authentic.

***

There were many other dates, all very unusual. I was used to dances and movies, but with Andrew I got sunsets and local concerts. Once he took me to a bingo night that his aunt was hosting. Oddly enough, that was the night we first kissed.

I remember so clearly the day of graduation, the day I realized that Andrew and I wouldn't always be together. After we threw our hats and got our diplomas, he found me.

“End of high school, huh?” he said.

“Yeah.”

“What do you want to do, Emily?”

“With my life?”

“Sure.”

“Be with you.”

He didn't smile like I wanted him to.

“Don't you want to go to college?”

I sighed. “Want to, or have to?”

Now he smiled. “You choose.”

“I should. Go to college, I mean. I found one that'll accept me.”

There was a long pause before I said, “Andrew, what about you?”

“What about me?”

“What are you gonna do?”

“I dunno. Do what I do best, I guess. Play my music.”

“Oh. Yeah. That's cool. See you later?”

“When would I see you?”

“I see what you mean.”

“Bye, Emily.”

“Bye.”

Thinking back, I wish I had said something better than bye. I wish I had told him that I loved him more than words could describe and that when he sang to me I felt like I was all that mattered in the world. I wanted to tell him that if he had just asked, I wouldn't have gone to college. I would have played his music with him.

I'm sitting at my computer right now, looking at a name on the screen on a website called “peoplefinder.” I want to call him and hear his voice, but I'm afraid. I'm afraid that he won't be my same Andrew.

I get a glass of cold water and sit on my couch. I picture myself having one last conversation with him.

Me: “Hey, Andrew.” (I say it so casually, just like old times.)

Andrew: “Hey, Emily.”

Me: “Why are you wearing a tie?”

Andrew: “Why shouldn't I be?”

Me: “I don't know.”

Andrew: “I have a job.”

Me: “Good.”

Andrew: “I'm a lawyer, Emily.”

Me: “That's great.”

Andrew: “You don't sound like that's great.”

Me: “Don't I?”

Andrew: “I live in an apartment in the city. I talk on the phone with other businesspeople.”

Me: “I'm proud of you.”

Andrew: “I have a diploma hanging up on the wall of my office. My office.”

Me: “Do you play music anymore, Andrew?”

Andrew: “Music.”

He looks at me as if he doesn't remember the word.

Andrew: “No, I don't play my music anymore.”

Me: “Oh.”

Me: “I loved you, Andrew.”

Andrew: “Loved? Past tense?”

Me: “I think so.”

Andrew: “I love you.”

Me: “Why'd you ask me out?”

Andrew: “I thought you were beautiful and smart, and I loved how shiny your dark brown hair was. I liked how you weren't too loud, and you didn't wear low-cut shirts like most other girls.”

Me: “I wish you'd said, ‘Because I felt like it.'”

Andrew: “Sorry.”

Me: “Me too.”

Andrew: “I have to be going.”

Me: “Yeah.”

Me: “Wait!”

Andrew: “Yes?”

Me: “I'd never had Chinese food before.”

inspiredbytheworld said...
Mar. 31, 2011 at 6:23 pm:
This piece is gorgeous! I really love it, it's awe-inspiring and wonderful!

DearAmelie said...
Mar. 31, 2011 at 6:08 pm:
This story was well-written and I love how the ending was a perfect finish. Kudos!

LetsPretend said...
Mar. 31, 2011 at 5:24 pm:
Wow speechless :D

TheRook said...
Mar. 31, 2011 at 4:14 pm:

this was so adorable! it made me smile and laugh at the same time, great story

emoducks said...
Mar. 31, 2011 at 10:26 am:
this piece was amazing :) i loved it :D

countrygirl101 said...
Mar. 31, 2011 at 9:52 am:
i love love love this its the best thing i have ever read its amazing in every way i really like the end ur so grat u should keep writeing like this

TheBlackSheep said...
Mar. 31, 2011 at 4:39 am:
I love your style ! just the way it flowed out, and the ending ... so perfect. Loved this piece :)

Jaybug said...
Mar. 22, 2011 at 7:53 am:
I liked this story a lot, and the ending sentence was perfect.

PenguinFeetThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Mar. 18, 2011 at 8:05 pm:

I especially liked how you wrote the dialogue. it was unique, but it also contributed so much to the flow of the piece.

And, by the way, I liked your phrase "sixish sharp." :)

DifferentTeen said...
Mar. 17, 2011 at 8:01 pm:
I absolutely loved this piece. you may have heard this over a hundred times but it was amazing. I can relate so much to Emily. Oh gosh, I wish I could tell you how much it meant to me. Well, if you get the chance, maybe you could check out some of my newer articles, or anything really.

DifferentTeen replied...
Mar. 17, 2011 at 8:02 pm :
by the way, I love the picture. :D

xprezzionstar said...
Mar. 17, 2011 at 8:43 am:
this is really good great ending it leaves the reader to try and figure out wht happens next with out needing a sequel

gyhecvuyk,ki said...
Mar. 14, 2011 at 10:19 am:
i thought it was cute ;D

hfhdhdnxj said...
Mar. 14, 2011 at 10:17 am:
great word choice

justsmile164 said...
Mar. 10, 2011 at 1:21 pm:
this is great :) even if you're not into love stories, you find yourself falling in love with this story.

PaRaNoRmAl627 This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Mar. 9, 2011 at 9:51 pm:
ive read this before, and i remember adoring it. i do just as much now as i did then. this is phenominal. absolutely adorable. i looooooovvveee it so much<3

Jane3 said...
Mar. 9, 2011 at 8:01 pm:
REALLY CUTE!!!! My only complaint is that it was a little slow.  It is definatley something I will think about.  The last line was amazing, although it was kinda sad.  Really good job! Plus you are from my home town BOSTON!!!

Xjust_ordinaryX said...
Mar. 9, 2011 at 7:26 pm:
this was memorable, this is what i think about daily. I love how you brought it into reality, and didn't make them together forver like many would, because wheres the reality in that? beautiful

KatieBelle This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Mar. 9, 2011 at 7:16 pm:
This was so sad and so sweet. Plus, the conversations were so perfect and natural. I loved it :)

midnitewanderer said...
Mar. 9, 2011 at 4:47 pm:
This was really good, your style of writing is beautiful, but don't write a sequel. The ending was perfect. Personally, I like the story the way it is.