Emma Miller | Teen Ink

Emma Miller

June 1, 2009
By AnnaBananaFana BRONZE, Ayer, Massachusetts
AnnaBananaFana BRONZE, Ayer, Massachusetts
1 article 0 photos 1 comment

I sighed softly, closing my eyes as I breathed in the fragrant summer air. It was about midnight, and the only thing holding me up was the railing of the balcony. All I could see was Jack's face; his beautiful crooked smile, his bright crystal blue eyes, his angel's features...
I could still hear his voice ringing in my head. It was like velvet, or the world's most beautiful symphony. I longed to feel his touch on my arm again. But what frightened me most was that I was starting to -forget-...His laugh, his voice, his face...They were all beginning to become very dim memories. He had been the one who left, yes -- maybe I should have been angry. But all I felt was loneliness and hurt, like I had done something wrong.
"Emma?" my grandmother called from inside the sitting room. I didn't turn as I heard her come outside, her gown rustling against the stone. "Emma, come in this instant and stop your crying. That Bedrick boy isn't worth your tears."
Finally, I turned towards her, unable to even think of a protest to her words. The squirming in my stomach was returning; that uncomfortable feeling that I had whenever I thought about Jack. I didn't say a word as my grandmother took my hand and pulled me back into the house. I followed in silence when she lead me to my bedroom, and said nothing when she shoved me into it and bolted the door.
I stumbled over to my bed, falling onto it and closing my eyes. All I felt was aching -- my heart ached, my head ached, my body ached. I shifted my hand on my pillow, and heard a crinkling of paper. Confused, I picked up the piece of the parchment that had been left on my pillow. My heart sped as I saw the wonderfully familiar, neat handwriting. It read:

To my Emma,

I'm sorry. I'm so sorry. You must understand that I left for your safety -- Calvin would have torn you to shreds if I stayed, only to make me angry. I didn't know it would hurt you this badly. I thought you'd just move on, and everything would be all right.
Emma, you have no idea how awful it's been for me, as well. Everyday has been like a living hell without seeing your face, hearing your voice, touching your hair. All I had to comfort myself with was my thoughts. But, darling, I'm back now, because I couldn't stay away any longer.
Meet me in the meadow behind your grandmother's house tonight, unless you no longer want me, because that would be exactly how I planned it; you moving on, and acting as if I never existed. But, I'll be here until the dawn. Seek me out, because, Emma, I cannot live without my soul.

Love, Eternal,
Jack

My heartbeat was almost painful, now. He was here, Jack was here, and so close to where I was laying. I sprang off of my bed, seizing the shawl I had draped over the chair in the corner and running over to my door. I started tugging on it, but to no avail. Cursing my grandmother, I hurried over to the wide window and looked down. It wasn't that bad of a fall.
Taking a deep breath, I swung my legs over the windowsill and let myself drop. I took the impact on the balls of my feet, and despite a moment of twinging up my legs, I was fine.
Squinting through the black of the night, I started running towards the meadow. It felt as if I was flying, and my bare feet barely touched the ground. The bright moonlight illuminated my path, and I silently thanked the Lord that Jack had picked such a clear night.
After a couple minutes of running, I saw a form moving in the distance. I stopped, panting as I waited. Soon, the form became something discernible; slim, tall, muscular, beautiful, and perfect...There he was. Jack. My Jack. I screamed his name, and my favorite smile flashed across his face as he ran towards me, and I towards him.
I leaped into his arms, and he caught me easily. I smiled, breathing in his scent; he smiled like the sun and grass, and, finally, I was home.