under the oak | Teen Ink

under the oak

June 9, 2009
By bandmusic101 PLATINUM, Meadville, Pennsylvania
bandmusic101 PLATINUM, Meadville, Pennsylvania
20 articles 4 photos 15 comments

Her eyes started to sting as the sun light leaked through the oak leaves. She had her head resting on his calf as he sat cross-legged on the edge of the blanket. As she closed her eyes, she put her hand on his knee.

“Alex? Do I bore you?”

“Never!” he said grabbing her hand off of his knee.
“Why do you think you bore me?”

“Well, we really don’t spend a lot of time together anymore. I just thought maybe I was boring.” She put her free hand on her face, hiding the fear in her eyes.

He sat there in silence, not knowing whether to comfort her or tell her the truth. Her hand twitched in his.

“That’s not what I meant when I stayed away” he let go of her hand, “I thought that maybe I should just not be so, clingy.” He shifted her head off his legs. He laid down beside her, grabbing her hand back. “I’m sorry it took so long to get this back.”

“My hand?” she turned on her side, “Or the close-ness?”

“Both” he brushed his hair out of his eyes. “I’m so sorry for hurting you”

She slid closer to him, now they were squeezed together. “I love you.” She whispered in his ear, before sliding back.

His smile widened as he watched her cheeks turn bright red. A breeze blew by them making her shake from the coolness of the breeze.

“You cold?” he asked unbuttoning his flannel over shirt.

“No.” she turned over and snuggled up to his recently uncovered chest.

They laid there for a while, neither breaking the beautiful silence of the love that was being thought about. He fiddles with a lock of her hair as she traced the blue green veins that stood out under his ghost-white skin. His arm was wrapped around her shoulders, shielding her from the cruel world that was miles from where they felt they were.

“I love you too.” He whispered after a while.

“Huh?” she said coming out of a daydreaming state of mind.

“I never said it. When you told me you loved me. I didn’t tell you I loved you back.” He looked out to the empty field around them.

“You didn’t have to say it. I knew.” She laughed at the red that colored his cheeks now. “It’s getting dark, we should go.” She rolled on to her back before standing up. “Are you coming?”

“I think we should stay here a little be longer.” He said as he took off his shirt completely.

“Why? It’s getting dark. They’ll be worried.” She sat down beside him.

“I think we should just stay here and live a little bit longer. Just you and me, please?” he opened his hand, waiting for her hand.