Story of Christine meeting the Phantom after two years | Teen Ink

Story of Christine meeting the Phantom after two years

By iluvedwardcullen25 GOLD, Burlington, Kentucky
iluvedwardcullen25 GOLD, Burlington, Kentucky

It was 1872. It had been two years since Christine had left the opera house with Raoul. Christine never knew how much she missed the Phantom. Since that last day she saw him, she had been thinking about him constantly. She thought it was right to leave him, but now she thought it had been the worst decision of her life. She hurt him very badly and would never forgive herself for it. Christine hoped he had forgiven her, but he would always remember her leaving him that awful day.
Today Christine was going to her father’s grave because it was the date of his death. At first she was a little hesitant to go because she thought back to years ago when she saw the
Phantom at the cemetery. She thought he may be here again, but Christine decided to go. Once she arrived at the cemetery, she walked towards her father’s grave. While Christine was walking to his grave, she thought that she saw some figure in the distance. She told herself it was only her mind playing tricks on her, so she moved on. Christine reached her father’s grave and put flowers near it. She sat down on the steps leading to his grave and began to cry. This time Christine wasn’t crying about her father, she was crying about the Phantom. Christine cried out, “Oh Phantom, I am sorry I left you that day. It was the worst thing I could have ever done to you!” Christine thought she heard something, and when she looked up she saw the Phantom.
Christine jumped to her feet and hugged the Phantom immediately. The Phantom said nothing. He just stared at her in awe, and tears began welling up in his eyes. When she looked at him, she saw that he had suffered greatly and she began to cry. “Christine, you really don’t need to cry, it wasn’t your fault.” said the Phantom. “No. I was stupid for leaving you like that. I should have stayed with you.” “If you would have stayed with me, you would have hated every minute of every day.” “I don’t think I would have. You know, you don’t have to wear your mask. I am not scared of you, and I accept you for who you are.” said Christine. When Christine said this, the Phantom looked like he was about to cry, but he didn’t. “Christine, I know that you don’t mind my mask off, but I still need to keep it on. I only take it off when I am indoors away from people or when I am alone.” “I can see why you would want to do that. I understand.” replied Christine. “So, where have you been living these past two years?” asked Christine. “The opera house.” said the Phantom. “Still, how are you not seen?” asked Christine. “No one is there anymore and if there is, I have places to hide. Christine would you like to come and see the opera house with me?” asked the Phantom. Christine knew that she should have said no, but she couldn’t resist. “Of course I will.” she replied.
Christine took the Phantom by the hand while they were walking to the opera house. The Phantom turned back and smiled at her. Christine knew that he still loved her and kept loving her these past two years. Once they arrived at the opera house, Christine gasped because it looked so different. She knew it would look different because it had previously caught on fire, but she never expected anything like this. They arrived at the front entrance, and Christine went in first. The Phantom came in after her, and locked the door behind them. She knew that he was still afraid of the world and its cruelties. Christine asked, “Where did you get that key?” “I always have kept a key with me, even when the opera house was in use.” replied the Phantom. “Christine couldn’t believe that he still lived at this opera house. She felt sorry for him and had to keep telling herself to refrain from crying. She knew he had to be lonely these past two years. “Come here, I want to show you something.” said the Phantom. “Will I like it?’ asked Christine. “I am sure that you will.” When Christine looked into those pleading and lonely eyes, she could not tell him no.
“Here, give me your hand and close your eyes.” said the Phantom. “All right.” replied Christine. Christine closed her eyes and let the Phantom lead her to the place he was taking her. “Open your eyes.” said the Phantom. Christine opened her eyes and broke into tears. He had brought her to his lair. This was the place where Christine left the Phantom with Raoul. “Why have you brought me here?” asked Christine. “I just thought you may want to see this place again, after these past few years.” Christine then realized why he had brought her here. He wanted her to think back to two years ago. He wanted her to say she truly loved him. Christine looked around and saw that the Phantom had kept everything she had left behind that day. He had even kept the veil she wore two years ago. “I can’t believe that you have kept all of this!” said Christine. “Why wouldn’t I keep it? All of these things mean the world to me!” When the Phantom said this Christine knew that he was meaning she meant the world to him. She burst into tears, and the Phantom allowed her to hug him. At that moment she realized that she loved him and had never stopped loving him.
Christine broke from their embrace and looked up at him. He was crying as much as she was. Christine looked to her side and saw that there was the ring that the Phantom offered her two years ago. She looked at him and said, “I am so sorry that I left you two years ago with Raoul. It was the biggest mistake of my life. All I know is; I love you, and I have never stopped.” When Christine said this, the Phantom looked like he had just been visited by an angel. Tears welled up in his eyes, and he said, “Christine, you don’t know how long I have been waiting for you to say that. These past two years I have never stopped thinking about you. I always hoped I would find you again and just get to see your face. Christine did you marry Raoul?” asked the Phantom. “Yes, I did, but a few weeks ago I told him that I was going to the cemetery on the day of my father’s death. He was concerned and I had a feeling that he was thinking that you may be there too. Raoul loves me so much. He has always wanted what is best for me. I think he knew that I wasn’t very happy these past two years. He told me that I could go to the cemetery by myself. He also told me that if I met you there again, it would be all right. I think that he had a feeling you would be there and all of the old feelings would come back. I will always have a place for him in my heart, but I will never love him like I love you.” The Phantom just stood there silently, and then he said, “Well, that makes this easier.” The Phantom took the ring from the table, and asked Christine, “Will you marry me?” Christine didn’t think this time. She followed her heart and said, “Of course I will.” The Phantom put the ring on her finger, and Christine took off the Phantom’s mask and kissed him. She knew that she going to be happy her entire life.
“Will you ever leave this opera house? Because I can live here with you.” said Christine. “I wouldn’t want that kind of life for you.” replied the Phantom. “I know you wouldn’t, but I could live with it. If I have you, it doesn’t matter where I live. And we wouldn’t have to stay in this opera house all the time. We could go out sometimes, if you want. In the winter you could wear a scarf around your face so you wouldn’t be ridiculed nor have people talk down to you. And don’t worry. I won’t let anyone say anything bad to you.” said Christine. “If you truly think that you would make you happy, then I could get out sometimes. The winter months would be best for me to get out, but we could figure out something for the summer months.” “Yes, of course we could, and every year we could go to my father’s grave. I will always remember that cemetery.” said Christine. “Yes, that would be perfect.” replied the Phantom. Christine knew that she was going to be happy for the rest of her days. Christine would always and forever love the Phantom of the Opera, and he would always love her.

I had to write this piece for a assingnment at school. We watched the movie called "The Phantom of the Opera" and we were told to infer on what we thought happened where the movie left off. You could take it whatever direction you wanted but I choose to see what it would be like if Christine met the Phantom after two years! I hope you enjoy my piece!