The Last Love Letter

"Cry as I may these tears won’t wash you away," it was the note that was left in my locker by one of the gullible girls who thought they could manage to make me fall in love with them. The letter itself was very congruous to the ones that the other girls that I have once dated left, and maybe if they didn't have a dearth of skepticism they would not have taken to rumors about me for granted.

"It's amazing how someone can break your heart and you can still love them with all the little pieces," ugh why is she trying to make me feel bad? Seriously! They were the ones who asked me out! I never once promised them anything in return and yet they all demanded more from me.

"What happens when he's your prince charming, but you're not his Cinderella," this note was really getting on my last nerves. What was with this girl, and all her depressing love quotes? I know she can find someone better!

“When you're in love and you get hurt, it's like a cut, it will heal with time but the scars will never fade, you will always have a piece of my heart... I miss you more than you'll ever know, Thi," finally the note was over, so I crumpled it up and threw it away.

I hope Thi finds happiness, even if I'm not the one to provide it to her. I felt a tear slip out of the corner of my left eye. Knowing that I have hurt someone else made me feel grim, when will I ever be able to return the love that was bestowed upon me? Was I cursed to hurt people who honestly cared about me in Leon High School?
~~~

I witnessed the whole scene play out in front of me. Oliver Olin Olson cried? Why? He was the rumored heart breaker, whom girls couldn't help but fall in love with. A typical rebel, but one who was secretly smart, (he was the second of our class, top for the guys, because no one could beat Acelynn,) girls always flocked around him, begging him to date them, and he never turned anyone down. However, it never lasted over a week with anyone. On the seventh day of dating someone he always broke up with them, not showing the slightest amount of remorse.

Then why were his hazel eyes filled with such furtive pain? Was he really the person I thought he was? Does that mean the rumors weren't true? There was only one way to find out what kind of person he was... and that was to date him and find out for myself.

I, True Harmony, will find if he was really a bad person, because I can not stand to see such beautiful eyes in such pain.
~~~

“Dear Oliver, please go out with me, Love <3 True Harmony,” I burst out with frivolous laughter. True Harmony? What kind of name was that? What kind of person was she? Shouldn't she know better than to go out with me! Girls are gullible, always falling for looks. However, I can't say no, it's against my policy to never turn anyone down unless I had a girlfriend.

“Okay,” I left my one word response in her locker.
~~~

“Yes!”

“What is it True,” asked my best friend Acelynn.

“I'm dating Oliver Olson!”

“What!? Is that really a good thing? He is a womanizer after all!”

“But I think he is deeper than that,” I muttered.

“Well he is stunning, if your into that whole bad boy thing,” Acelynn pondered.

He was just that with messy, bed-head sandy blond hair, and very passionate hazel eyes. Not to mention he towered over the majority of the student body with his bewildering height, but he also seemed like someone I could relate to. Someone who was quiet, and unable to fall in love with just anyone.

“I'm not going to speak to him for seven days,” I said.

“What? But after seven days he always breaks up with his girlfriend!”

“I know, but I'm afraid if I talk to him face to face I'll fall for him.”

“Hellooo... I thought you already liked him!”

“I do, but I don't want him to know that I love him, yet,” I muttered.

“So how will you talk to him,” Acelynn asked.

“Love Letters.”
~~~

The first letter from True showed up the second day we started dating. It read:

Dear Oliver,

I know I'm far to much of a coward to look you in the eyes and tell you how I feel about you. After all I know that after seven days you will probably forget all about me, and looking into your eyes will only make that day hurt more. I used to think you were a heartless player, but then I learned that you and I are much the same... We are both looking for love but unable to find it, well I guess now I'm different from you because I fell for you. I know deep down you are kind and caring person so I hope one day you will care for someone as much as I care for you, even if I am not that person. I want you to know my feelings for you, and I will constantly remind you of these feelings for the week we date. So please reply to this letter.

With devotion,

True Harmony

I never encountered this before. Kind person, me? She must be thinking of someone else. This girl must be really willful. However, I decided to humor her and picked up a pen...

~~~

Oliver left a note in my locker the next day, it read as follows:

True Harmony,

You must have some warped parents to get a name like that. I appreciate your honesty, but if by the end of this week I cannot return your feelings I will move on. You may think I'm a kind person but I must contradict you, I after all am quite the opposite of that. I do however, want to meet you face to face before the seven days come to an end. Please tell me what kind of person you are.

Oliver O. Olson

I replied.

~~~

Her second letter came on the third day, soon after my letter, it read:

Oliver,

Your curiosity makes me so happy! When I read you letter my heart skipped a beat. See you are a caring person! You didn't have to write back but you did! My name True Harmony is because my parents were composers of music, my dad plays the violin, and my mom was a piano composer until she passed away when I was eight. Well I guess I can be describes as a stubborn person, well thats what Acelynn says, she's my best friend! I am the kind of person who finds it easier to convey my feelings when people are not around to see them, but I really want to know about you too! Why do you only date girls for seven days?

True

No one ever asked me why I only dated girls for seven days before.

~~~

His letter arrived on the fourth day.

True,

You are actually the first person who ever asked me that, and the answer is because of my big sister Miranda. She passed away five years ago when I was eleven. She wanted me to fall in love and be happy and she told me, “You know it's love, if you can fall in love in seven days,” because she fell in love with her true love in seven days. He died, and she committed suicide. I never told anyone this before. I feel safe telling you personal things. You remind me of Miranda she was really stubborn too. Although, she was a bully, but I don't think your like that. In fact I think you a good person, and I think I may actually end up falling for you.

Oliver

Does that mean he likes me? That was the last letter I got until the seventh day.
~~~

I never had this feeling for anyone that was besides the people I shared blood relations with. Was it love? Did I love True? I felt such a strong connection to her. It was day seven, but I was doubtful if I wanted to break up with her of not. Did I love her? How was this possible I never even met her face to face. I decided to send her one more letter. It was short and to the point.

True,

I need to meet you face to face. Meet me at the Cafe on the corner of First Street and Lincoln Drive. Don't worry I don't want to see you so we can break up. I want to meet you and continue to date. Write back.

Oliver
~~~

I was ecstatic! I was going to date him! Was this possible? What should I wear? How should I do my make up? I was so happy I almost forgot to write back.

“Acelynn! I'm dating Oliver! He told me he's not going to break up with me!”

“That's great True, but don't shout so loud you don't know who can be eavesdropping,” Acelynn whispered.

“We have a date at the Cafe on the corner of First Street today,” I was so happy I couldn't even control the rigor of my voice! Later I wish I had.

“Well be sure to tell him your coming,” Acelynn muttered.

Dear Oliver,

I am overjoyed! My heart won't stop racing! I can finally say it I love you! I have loved you since the first time I saw you. I will defiantly come and see you.

True Harmony
~~~

I saw her cross the street. The way she looked at me confirmed it was her. She had really long and pretty, curly, black hair that went down to the small of her back, and elegant features that made her look like royalty. So this is True. She really was pretty.

She made it across the street and walked up to my table, with a slight blush on her pale cheeks, and when she stood directly in front of me she stammered in such an adorable way I really wanted to hug her.

“Hi... I'm True... We wrote letters together....”

“Yes, I know who you are, you are the girl who made me fall for her.”

She blushed a deep crimson color.

“OLIVER HOW COULD YOU,” a shrill shriek made my head pivot around. It was Thi. Whose heart I broke.

“Thi I'm sorry I wasn't able to love you, but I met someone I could love.”

“SO YOU FIND IT FUNNY TO PLAY WITH GIRLS FEELINGS? WAS I JUST A TOY!? I EARNESTLY LOVED YOU! HOW COULD YOU?”

She stumbled towards me, and I could smell the rank scent of alcohol on her breath.

“OLIVER YOU WILL REGET HURTING ME!”

“Thi, stop it,” it was True who spoke.

“SHUT UP OR I'LL KILL YOU!”

Thi reached into her pocket, pulled out a gun, and pointed it at True.

“THI STOP,” I ordered.

“IF I CAN'T HAVE YOU NO ONE CAN!”

BANG.

Sharp pain.

An angel's scream.

Darkness.
~~~

It has been six months since the funeral. Six months since I lost the person I thought I could spent my life with. Six months since Thi was sent to jail. Six months since I regretted talking so loudly to Acelynn about our date Six months since I felt anything other then remorse. Six months since the police gave me one last love letter.

My Dearest True,

I love you. You are my first and only love. I want to spend time with you and make you happy, but I know I can't. I'm too afraid to lose you, like I lost everybody else I loved. “When you are in love and you get hurt, it’s like a cut... it will heal, but there will always be a scar,” someone who loved me ones said this. You made the scar of my sister's death disappear. I know that you will object and say you want to be with me, but I'm not breaking up with you.

I'm asking you to wait. Wait until I become a person worthy of you. I will always be there for you, but I want to treat you like a treasure, I want to support you the way you supported me. Please say you will wait for me my precious True. I want to become the perfect person you can be with. I write this with the hopes that we will one day have a life together, and also because I am to much of a coward to say these words, so I must write them. I want you to have all of my heart.

Love,

Oliver

“When you are in love and you get hurt, it’s like a cut... it will heal, but there will always be a scar,” Oliver told me this, but I know that some wounds were never meant to heal.

HollerGirl26 said...
Sept. 4, 2011 at 9:17 am:
I have tears in my eyes... :) good job <3 Just a few confusions, though..grammar, gun?!, and I thought Thi pointed it at True..but Oliver's dead? Did he jump in front of her?! OMG that would be so amazing<3

HollerGirl26 replied...
Sept. 4, 2011 at 9:18 am :
Just kidding..eh-everyone..I..I get it now...hehe.. :)

girl-of-winter-skies said...
BEAUTIFUL! I cried.... someone should make this into a movie... keep up the good work!!!

girl-of-winter-skies said...
OH MY TOAST I SERIOUSLY CRIED!!!! THIS IS MY FAVORITE PIECE I HAVE READ ON TEEN INK SO FAR!!!!! PLEASE KEEP WRITING!!!

Iggy_Fang112This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
AWW that is SO awesome and sweet!

geeek101 said...
Jul. 22, 2011 at 11:27 pm:
this was absolutly great, i love it.♥

raven1694 This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Jul. 22, 2011 at 10:12 pm:
This is amazingg! 

dancechick said...
Jul. 22, 2011 at 3:24 pm:
I loved this. Can you please read my work?Thanks and keep writing! You're really good!

writerfreak21231This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Jul. 17, 2011 at 11:52 am:
I loved the story! and was impressed! Great job! Sooo amazing! (Sorry for the advertizing!) If any of u coulld read my two stories called the beast and nightstalker, that would be great! Also please post comments saying if u liked it or not. Thanks! And keep writing! :D

singingwriter14 said...
Jul. 5, 2011 at 10:55 pm:
Aw man. Now I just want to cry. This was beautiful. And the way they fell in love...so original and sweet.

matseyb03 said...
Jul. 5, 2011 at 4:09 pm:
You are such an amazing writer. It's breathtaking. The way you used the twist at the end captured my attention ; it made me want to cry. Such fierce emotion. Amazing.

prettylittlewriterThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Jul. 1, 2011 at 1:01 pm:
This peice of writing is breathtaking. And hard to read because it is painful. I can feel like that sometimes, he will be my prince charming but I can't be his Cinderella. You have some grammar mistakes, but it doesn't matter because the writing is brilliant.

Hermione700 said...
Jun. 8, 2011 at 8:36 pm:
Everything that everyone has said to you so far is true, i can't believe what an incredible piece this was. Don't worry about grammar i suck at that too :) just keep writing cause you got talent and it should be practiced! Please keep writing and show us all what you got!

billgamesh11 said...
Jun. 8, 2011 at 8:01 pm:
OMG!!! This story made me cry! Please keep writing!

Basketball13 said...
Jun. 2, 2011 at 11:31 am:
This is an amazing story!! You are such a good writer! Keep on writing! :)

smilegrrl said...
May 17, 2011 at 11:57 pm:
I liked it, and I loved the story/plot. I would just suggest refining it a bit, and smoothing out the typos. Keep writing, and keep working on making your style your own. :)

AdalleyVictoria101 said...
May 17, 2011 at 7:10 pm:
This is so amazing <3 it literally brought tears to my eyes. What a bitter sweet love story(:

rosie said...
May 17, 2011 at 4:59 pm:
okay, it was pretty good...just...write the way you'd talk. make it flow. and...how old are they? she had a gun? also, just one more thing, i promise, i thought it was kinda weird that she loved him but she'd never even talked to him. but it was good!

josikevan said...
May 17, 2011 at 4:06 pm:
You are an excellent writer, I am in love with your writing. I honestly think this is better than some of the books I have read, that are published. I cried and I so badly wanted to read more about what happens. I so do love your wirtting and I hope you don't give up writting. You have a gift for writting, a gift many people would love to have. Keep on Writing!!!!

borntowrite said...
May 17, 2011 at 3:39 pm:
It's really good. You should make it longer. I want to read more