A Love Letter for the One I Admire | Teen Ink

A Love Letter for the One I Admire

By CelesteA SILVER, San Francisco, California
CelesteA SILVER, San Francisco, California

To the one I admire,

What can I say? How do I word my words to you?

Your hair is ruby red, only while in the sun though. And while in the shade and dark, it dulls back to a brown. The poof in your curls covers my view to the board where the teacher’s handwriting is, yet I don’t even mind.

I never even see you without that “J” necklace, who is that even for by the way? Some friend of yours in France? Are they still special to you?

I’ve talked to you before, a skittish feeling you gave me. I don’t know if you could tell behind my mask, but I never stopped smiling. I don’t want to assume but I think I saw a crinkle next to each of your eyes, possibly meaning you couldn’t stop smiling either?

Did you know I learned what your favorite book is and I read it just so I could talk to you about it, but it never even came up. If I told you that I read all 310 pages of Wonder, would you have been impressed? I mean you did read it in 5th Grade and we’re in highschool now, but still. A great book to you, was and always will be a phenomenal book to me. 

I can also always smell your watermelon gum and hear the click as it stretches from your teeth like an elastic band. And your face that I envision, which I only ever saw once during lunch on picture day. I still remember your smile. Teeth showing until almost the back row, top lip stretching out thin.

I hope you smile that way at me. 

Love,

Your not so secret admirer.

Celeste currently lives in California with her cats, siblings and parents where she attends Ruth Asawa SOTA for Creative Writing. In addition to writing poetry, she enjoys fiction writing and being on the stage. She wrote her first fiction book in second grade. She also performs regularly (preCOVID) with the Youth Performer's Theatre, a Repertory Group that presents adaptations of classic children’s stories.